• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Oak Tree Press

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Baywitch,

This is from Preditors & Editors:

Oak Tree Press: a book publisher. 10/13/02: This market has been reported as unresponsive. Not recommended.

Oak Tree Press: a book publisher formerly in California. Strongly not recommended. Contact at: 2743 S. Veterans Parkway #135
Springfield, IL 62704-6402

~Nancy

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I came across a post on another board, just posted there today, where the gentleman spoke about meeting Ms. Johnson at the PSWA conference in Vegas last weekend. He thinks she's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Of course, I came here to check and see what OTP is about. It's a shame because the poster is a PA author and anything I would say would be a waste of time or considered as 'bashing' on that board. Some people just never learn.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
PSWA in this context stands for Public Safety Writers Association. (Not the Puget Sound Welsh Association.)

What can you do? Put up the link to Writer Beware and hope for the best.

Or ask the standard questions: Have you ever seen any of their books in a bookstore? Have you ever read any of their books? Have any of your friends ever read any of their books?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
the gentleman spoke about meeting Ms. Johnson <snip> thinks she's the greatest thing since sliced bread.<snip> the poster is a PA author.

If this Johnson is associated with the Oak Tree of Springfield, IL, then I would think that the PA author has been taken in yet again.

Con artists can be extremely charming and throw out an easy "trust me" vibe while validating the ego-starved. That's how they do their job so well. They seem to have an instinct for finding prey, too.

It's like a lapdance, so long as the mark has money, the dance and the "you're-so-sexy" smile goes on and on.

Last edited:

abemorgantis

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If this Johnson is associated with the Oak Tree of Springfield, IL, then I would think that the PA author has been taken in yet again.

Con artists can be extremely charming and throw out an easy "trust me" vibe while validating the ego-starved. That's how they do their job so well. They seem to have an instinct for finding prey, too.

It's like a lapdance, so long as the mark has money, the dance and the "you're-so-sexy" smile goes on and on.

You mean they dont actually...care? :(

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
PSWA in this context stands for Public Safety Writers Association. (Not the Puget Sound Welsh Association.)

What can you do? Put up the link to Writer Beware and hope for the best.

Or ask the standard questions: Have you ever seen any of their books in a bookstore? Have you ever read any of their books? Have any of your friends ever read any of their books?

Shoot! I'm a good candidate for the Puget Sound Welsh Association. If I lived in the Puget Sound area, anyway . . . it's probably too far from Oklahoma City . . . Cyfrgolli!

Regards,
Scott

pensinparadise

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a puzzler: Bennett & West Literary Agency (supposedly a legitimate firm and not a scammer) recommends Oak Tree Press (URL: www.oaktreebooks.com); however, both Preditors & Editors and I think Absolute Write Water Cooler Bewares have said "NO! Run away!". Does anyone know anything (authors only please) about this publisher? Their web site so far has not thrown up any red flags.
VR:Huh::Huh::rolleyes:

pensinparadise

Registered
Reaction score
Oak Tree Press is the subject of this warning on Writer Beware.

- Victoria

Victoria, on the OTP web site, they make a huge point of separating themselves from that "other" firm, and swear they do not charge, publish within 18 months, but keep the rights to a manuscript in perpetuity. Is that legal?

I'm just trying to find out why Bennett & West would recommend them if they are so evil?
V:flag:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Pens, I merged your question with the existing thread on Oak Tree Books; hopefully the posts above will answer your question.

Bennett and West is the subject of a thread here. It has placed a number of its clients with questionable or fee-based publishers.

- Victoria

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Victoria, on the OTP web site, they make a huge point of separating themselves from that "other" firm, and swear they do not charge, publish within 18 months, but keep the rights to a manuscript in perpetuity. Is that legal?

I'm just trying to find out why Bennett & West would recommend them if they are so evil?

Because Bennett & West are clueless. Have a look at the B&W thread for more detailed information.

I haven't seen an Oak Tree Press contract in a long time, so I can't comment on the terms. They may mean that they have a life of copyright contract--which is common with publishing contracts, but it needs to be balanced by a good reversion clause. Or they may mean that they keep rights for 10 years or 20 years or some other specific term.

Check this Alert at Writer Beware to see the kinds of complaints we've received. In addition, OTP seems to have very limited ability to market and distribute its books.

- Victoria

ladybugger

Registered
Reaction score
I realize this might be old news, but Oak Tree Press is offering to carry author's titles on the Kindle, but not publish it as a paper or hardback book. I looked online and a handful of their titles are available in the Kindle. Their offer is to give the author $1.04 of the profit, and they would retain the rights to the title in Kindle format. Call me paranoid, but this seems questionable.

Thanks,
ladybugger

Shalanna

Registered
Reaction score
Dilemma!

Jess Orenduff's book THE POT THIEF WHO STUDIED EINSTEIN has been nominated for a Lefty under humorous crime novel . . . and it's out from Oak Tree Press of Illinois. I have been asked to submit to Oak Tree. Now, this is a mystery that has finaled in the St. Martin's contest twice, but was not ever chosen as a winner. Agents give the query a pass. So . . . should I try Oak Tree? If one of their books wins an award, won't that give them more prestige? Or am I just falling into the usual trap?