Overtyping in FD

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. FD 7 - I want to do overtypes the way you can with Word if you hit the Insert button on your keyboard, but can't seem to figure out how to do it. Driving me nuts. Any ideas? I'm new to FD, but I've gone through the Help menu and nothing's coming up as a solution.

Help appreciated.

Thank you.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. That's weird and annoying.

So, like, if I've written 'He runs down the corridor but drops his umbrella' and I want to change it to 'He strolls along the seafront but drops his umbrella', I can't set the cursor to the beginning, hit 'insert' or whatever, and just type over til I get to the words I want to keep?

Pah. I'd have thought that would have been an included feature. Oh, well. Thanks, PD.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Yeah--there are a few "anti-idiot" features in FD that prevent you from accidentally deleting stuff you didn't mean to delete, and I guess that's one of them.

Another such feature is the inability to delete huge blocks of text all at once. You have to do it small chunks at a time.

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
As a beta tester I feel your pains. Overstrike is not a feature in FD although it may end up in a future version since that is a feature I make a stink about.

Zahra, if I want to change a word in a sentence, I usually double click on the old word to select it and then type the new one right in its place. The same can be for whole paragraphs (triple click). You can also take the mouse and click at one part of a line and drag to select as much of the words as you want. I find it bearable.

And Plot, You can delete paragraphs all the way to entire scenes if you want. Not sure what you are referring to.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
And Plot, You can delete paragraphs all the way to entire scenes if you want. Not sure what you are referring to.

The best I can do is delete an entire note card. But I have attempted to highlight and delete text, and if I highlight more than a page, the deletion is rendered impotent. I have to highlight small chunks at a time in order to delete.

Ragnarok

Loki made me do it
Registered
Reaction score
The best I can do is delete an entire note card. But I have attempted to highlight and delete text, and if I highlight more than a page, the deletion is rendered impotent. I have to highlight small chunks at a time in order to delete.

Windows' tricks still apply in FD. If you want to delete more than one page, put the cursor at the beginning of the section. Then scroll down, once you've reached the last page to be deleted, press and hold "shift" and finally click at the end of the section.

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Rag is right.

The only way to select and delete large passage of text is to click into your beginning point and then (making sure not to click into any text as to not move your beginning point) scroll down to the end point and while holding the shift key, click into the end point and then hit delete.

For deleting entire scenes you can use the select scene function in the edit menu.

For paragraphs, triple click.

I do agree that you should be able to delete between pages without the scroll trick. You should be able to drag your selected curser to the end point. That would involve changing the way FD handles page view.

I will put that in for a feature request.

Thanks for the heads up...

Ragnarok

Loki made me do it
Registered
Reaction score
The only way to select and delete large passage of text is to click into your beginning point and then (making sure not to click into any text as to not move your beginning point)

Thanks for making it clear, Joe. I'm so used to scrolling using the mouse's wheel....