• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

IN Community Magazines (formerly Dollard Publishing Corp.)

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. A friend of mine has just been approached by an outfit called dollarpublishing.com

I just googled dollarpublishing.com and apparently there is no such URL.

Has anyone here heard of them?

I searched the forum posts but I couldn't fined any.

C

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
When I googled them I got their whois info and this outfit, or person, has registered various dollar domains (dollarpublishing, dollartires and a few others). Looks like a scam, if they even exist.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Deleting the info I found on Dollar Publishing. See the post below.

I don't want to send the hounds out on someone innocent!

Last edited:

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid I sent everyone off like greyhounds after an artificial rabbit. I misspelled the website. Corrected it's dollardpublishing.com. This outfit is a POD site. Not that there's anything wrong with that, however, the site is long on what they can do for the author e.g. 100% royalties on all sales.
But there are no examples of their books, no online bookstore, no inclusion in online catalogs etc. The cost for a 400 page book is ~$1,000. Since this publisher doesn't place books for the author, I guess the author must flog his books from the trunk of a car on I-95. No wonder he gets 100% profit.

Anyway, this looks like a rip off to me.
C

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
100% of profit is a meaningless term anyway. It can only relate to everything after dollard has taken all costs and their profit out--they are hardly donating their own time. Given that making $1000 with a small press is a reasonable acheivement why would anyone pay so much up front?

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
100% of profit is a meaningless term anyway. It can only relate to everything after dollard has taken all costs and their profit out--they are hardly donating their own time. Given that making $1000 with a small press is a reasonable acheivement why would anyone pay so much up front?

We're talking about someone who has no knowledge--only desire.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Desire and $1000 ;) -- I must admit that there was a time were poverty was the only reason I didn't use a fee-cahring 'publisher'. Could you try pointing them at Lulu.com?

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Deleted the information I found about the other web site above since it's no longer relevant.

Checked out dollardpublishing.com. At least they seem up-front about what they do.

I agree that lulu may be a better choice if the OP's friend is interested in self-publishing.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Desire and $1000 ;) -- I must admit that there was a time were poverty was the only reason I didn't use a fee-cahring 'publisher'. Could you try pointing them at Lulu.com?

I'm sure my friend didn't realize that dollard was a do-it-yourself- opperation. Lulu is much the same only far cheaper. Even so, he doesn't want to do the leg work. I'm concerned that he's fallen into the thrall of "getting picked up" by a big house. You know that's the dazzler these guys use as a lure.

I have someone who formats for me and someone who does my book covers. Even if my friend used these services, and went with Book Surge's $99 service he would be more than $300 to the good. These $$ would pay for a website, scads of press releases and posters.

Last edited:

KellyG

Registered
Reaction score
Its hard to tell with new publishers probably. I'd maybe stick with the ones people have heard of and then look in on this new one at some other time. They may turn out to be very good. Time will always tell.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
My friend has a 400 page book. Dollard wants $1000 up front to do all the stuff they say. (note no online catalogs). Then my friend will have to pay $10/ book to be shipped to him--no drp shipping to an independent distributor.
So let's say he orders 50 books. Well now he's into Dollard for $1500.
My friend will have to pay shipping. 50 books at book rate from PA to the west coast is ~$45.
Then let's say he signs up for Amazon's Advantage program. My friend will pay then have to re-box up to 10 books and re-ship to an Amz fulfillment center. Amz will take its cut upon sale. This is going to be one hell of an expensive book!

I can't see Dollard being a good deal except as a true vanity press. They say they include editing and proofreading but they don't list the names of the people who do that service. If you look at an outfit like Crew Publishers in Canada they list their editors and their credentials. I'm not endorsing Crew BTW.

I don't know. I'm usually circumspect about speakign out about this kind of thing but I don't see much value in Dollard.
C

Last edited: