The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic news all around, LG! 100 ARCs is wonderful, and ANY advance is a prize.

I'm just back from a week in London with my daughter to celebrate her graduation from high school. I took some time to visit a Waterstone's in Piccadilly, and WOW—I have a new level of empathy for SFF writers in the UK. Probably all genres of writers too. The shelves were crowded with classics, but only a few copies of new releases. Looking for something that's been out for six months? Unlikely to still be on the shelves. If it makes it to paperback release, there's another flurry of shelving.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Barnes'd and Noble'd has the same CEO as Waterstones. And I'm sure you remember how BN said they weren't going to stock new hardcovers of a lot of kids books except the top percent of the top percent, which ended up cutting out a lot of best-selling and award winning authors, 'cause I guess that's not good enough for BN?

The UK bookspace is in a weird state, since Amazon just killed Book Depository. And also the Brexit and the everything else going on with the British economy. And Waterstones owns Blackwells now, too.

Reactions: Mevrouw Bee

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Barnes'd and Noble'd has the same CEO as Waterstones. And I'm sure you remember how BN said they weren't going to stock new hardcovers of a lot of kids books except the top percent of the top percent, which ended up cutting out a lot of best-selling and award winning authors, 'cause I guess that's not good enough for BN?
I was shocked and amazed that my YA hardcover was in physical BNs last year. I’m waiting with baited breath to find out whether the new one will be. It really is a huge deal, sales-wise. Indie bookstore buy-in matters a lot, too.

redrum4783

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm an agented YA writer (shout out to my agent Hilary Harwell) that's currently on sub for my debut as of February 21st, 2023. I'm originally from New York, but live in Shanghai, working as an 11th grade literature teacher at a private high school.

I joined this forum to find others like me...who are on sub or been on sub and lived to tell the tale. My manuscript has been sent to 10 editors and I've only received 1 response (a pass) about 4 weeks in. Other than that, it's been radio silence.

It's now been a little over 3 months. Is it abnormal that only 1 editor has responded so far? I keep telling myself that no news is better than quick passes...but...crippling doubt is beginning to creep in.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
I joined this forum to find others like me...who are on sub or been on sub and lived to tell the tale. My manuscript has been sent to 10 editors and I've only received 1 response (a pass) about 4 weeks in. Other than that, it's been radio silence.

It's now been a little over 3 months. Is it abnormal that only 1 editor has responded so far? I keep telling myself that no news is better than quick passes...but...crippling doubt is beginning to creep in.
Welcome, redrum! It’s a long time since I’ve been on wide sub, but I think things have really slowed down since 2020. I did read a recent post from an editor (on the Pub Tips Reddit) who claimed that they and most editors respond within three months. I’m a bit skeptical of that and wonder if it varies by category and imprint.

Charles Bates

The world deserves a spider
Registered
Reaction score
No news is not a 'no', so you have no reason not to stay positive. I don't have any inside insight into the industry but I would imagine that they're still being hammered by all the books that were written during the pandemic.

Your agent probably won't be your only fan... just sayin. ;)

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, redrum! Welcome. Sub is a real ordel, so you're in good company here. I'm also a YA writer. 3 months seems an age but is nothing out of the ordinary. Though we do hear tales of books being snapped up after two days on sub in hot auctions (and this does happen) it's by no means the norm, and many of us have much longer sub periods. The last time I was on wide sub, the book sold 10 months in (and had only had six passes before then, I think, which gives you an idea of how slow it was. Admittedly, this was 2020, but I do think, anecdotally, things are less speedy since the pandemic... not that publishing is ever actually speedy!).

@litdawg Waterstones Piccadilly is amazing. So glad you got to visit it. I can't speak outside of my experience, but the YA and kids section in that Waterstones (and indeed any) certainly has all the new releases, and they're nicely promoted too. So it's definitely not at all skewed towards classics or established books/brands.

Reactions: litdawg

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
@litdawg Waterstones Piccadilly is amazing. So glad you got to visit it. I can't speak outside of my experience, but the YA and kids section in that Waterstones (and indeed any) certainly has all the new releases, and they're nicely promoted too. So it's definitely not at all skewed towards classics or established books/brands.
I had a very nice visit! Indeed, there was an author signing books while I was there—not as an event, just stockpiling them for the store. Beautiful displays, five levels! I bought a fairly recent release and retreated to a cafe to read.

GeillisDuncan

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, redrum! It’s a long time since I’ve been on wide sub, but I think things have really slowed down since 2020. I did read a recent post from an editor (on the Pub Tips Reddit) who claimed that they and most editors respond within three months. I’m a bit skeptical of that and wonder if it varies by category and imprint.
I saw that too and cried for a week since my three month mark is up in early June.

Buuuut I think it really does vary by genre, and something has me thinking that editor might have been a PB editor. I may have made that up, but I thought I saw the same poster mention she worked in PBs. It would make sense that some genres are quicker since the books take very little time to read.

I hear my genre (fantasy) takes forever. Yay!

GeillisDuncan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm an agented YA writer (shout out to my agent Hilary Harwell) that's currently on sub for my debut as of February 21st, 2023. I'm originally from New York, but live in Shanghai, working as an 11th grade literature teacher at a private high school.

Welcome! We are sub buddies; I’ve been out about the same amount of time with a contemporary fantasy (mostly out to adult imprints, but also to two YA editors). I have received two passes and nothing else. So you’re not alone! I’m on an on submission discord, and long wait times seems really, really common. The best thing I’ve found to do is work on my next project, read for fun, and binge shows I’ve been meaning to watch. Good luck!

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
I write YA thrillers—three out and a fourth coming this fall! And I have an adult upmarket ms. I’m revising. Which genre of YA is your book?
I saw that too and cried for a week since my three month mark is up in early June.

Buuuut I think it really does vary by genre, and something has me thinking that editor might have been a PB editor. I may have made that up, but I thought I saw the same poster mention she worked in PBs. It would make sense that some genres are quicker since the books take very little time to read.

I hear my genre (fantasy) takes forever. Yay!
Ahh, that would make a lot of sense if the poster edited picture books! All I know is that I’ve heard about submission periods longer than three months that did end in a sale.

ETA: I’ve been spending a lot of time being depressed about every aspect of publishing, including the organized book bans and challenges that are likely to discourage school librarians from purchasing books with LGBTQ characters in many U.S. states. The market only recently opened up to these themes, and now it seems likely to close again.

On the plus side, I now have two blurbs from NYT-bestselling authors for my new book. I go back and forth on blurbs, because getting them is usually the author’s responsibility (unless you’re a lead title) and it’s an awkward process. With my last book, I decided not to bother, but I’m glad I made an effort for this one.

Last edited:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I had a very nice visit! Indeed, there was an author signing books while I was there—not as an event, just stockpiling them for the store. Beautiful displays, five levels! I bought a fairly recent release and retreated to a cafe to read.
Waterstones are really good about author signings! Last time I popped into the Piccadilly store I think I signed about fifteen books. And all their bookshops are happy for authors to sign books whenever they come by too.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I write YA thrillers—three out and a fourth coming this fall! And I have an adult upmarket ms. I’m revising. Which genre of YA is your book?

Ahh, that would make a lot of sense if the poster edited picture books! All I know is that I’ve heard about submission periods longer than three months that did end in a sale.

ETA: I’ve been spending a lot of time being depressed about every aspect of publishing, including the organized book bans and challenges that are likely to discourage school librarians from purchasing books with LGBTQ characters in many U.S. states. The market only recently opened up to these themes, and now it seems likely to close again.

On the plus side, I now have two blurbs from NYT-bestselling authors for my new book. I go back and forth on blurbs, because getting them is usually the author’s responsibility (unless you’re a lead title) and it’s an awkward process. With my last book, I decided not to bother, but I’m glad I made an effort for this one.
I think the blurbs may be a US-UK difference - while kidlit authors here to ask others for blurbs, publishers often reach out to authors asking for blurbs and sometimes agencies will ask their authors to blurb for agency siblings. I've had ARCs come from a real mix of courses! Great on getting your blurbs, though. I never know how much they really influence sales but they're nice to have.

Reactions: Fuchsia Groan

literaryguitar

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I hit the jackpot with my small press so far. I've already posted that my contract stipulates they'll will send out at least 100 print ARCs. I just got my timeline and almost everything on it is listed as the publisher's responsibility and includes: getting blurbs, sending out the ARCs including to trade reviewers and magazines, actively trying to sell film rights through a film agent, pitching to foreign publishers through foreign literary agents (I don't know if this means a foreign rights agent or agents in the countries where the publishers are), a post card advertising campaign, a blurb and review mailing to the top 200 bookstores in the US, placing ads in US magazines and trade reviews, and setting up book talks and media coverage of the book talks. It lists a launch party in NYC, though not whose repsonsibility it will be to set that up. The press will issue the book in trade paperback, hardcover, ebook, and audiobook simultaneously.

The amount of money this press can put into these things is nothing like what a Big 5 could do for a lead title, but I was never going to be a Big 5 lead title and from what I've learned, this sounds at least as good as anything I could have gotten with a midlist lit fic deal with a Big 5 imprint (with the exception of my advance being lower than it would have been as a Big 5 midlister, and bookstores and libraries and film makers and foreign publishers likely paying less attention to all this outreach because it's a small press).

Small press books are unlikely to be bestselling blockbusters, but for those of us whose books wouldn't likely be blockbusters anyway, there are some small presses that punch above their weight and can be a really good home for a book. And this press has had a few bestsellers.

Right now I'm feeling pretty ecstatic about it.

Also really happy that the last sensitivity read came back with a very positive report and a few really good suggestions for changes. I feel like I'm off to the races.

For those of you new to this thread, my agent was unable to sell my book to a Big 5 imprint. I was pretty sad about that. I'm not anymore. I know small presses, even ones like this one, are not something everyone is interested in doing; many people trunk books that don't sell and move on to the next one with their agent. But for anyone interested in other options, I wanted to share what I managed to find in the small press world. It takes some research and diligence to find the small presses that punch above their weight, but they do exist.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I think the blurbs may be a US-UK difference - while kidlit authors here to ask others for blurbs, publishers often reach out to authors asking for blurbs and sometimes agencies will ask their authors to blurb for agency siblings. I've had ARCs come from a real mix of courses! Great on getting your blurbs, though. I never know how much they really influence sales but they're nice to have.
For adult fiction it's a mix too. Based on my experience, my publisher normally draws a list of authors to approach for blurbs and they ask for my input as well. After that they usually ask if I am happy to approach some of those authors myself, and the ones I don't know my publisher approaches via their agents. Same for the ARCs I get, some I get from authors asking me or my agent gets requests that she forwards them to me. And on a couple of occasions when I've been dying to read something I've approached an author or an editor and asked for an ARC. I don't know about other genres but for crime/suspense the author community is really supportive.

Reactions: GeillisDuncan

literaryguitar

Registered
Reaction score
For adult fiction it's a mix too. Based on my experience, my publisher normally draws a list of authors to approach for blurbs and they ask for my input as well. After that they usually ask if I am happy to approach some of those authors myself, and the ones I don't know my publisher approaches via their agents. Same for the ARCs I get, some I get from authors asking me or my agent gets requests that she forwards them to me. And on a couple of occasions when I've been dying to read something I've approached an author or an editor and asked for an ARC. I don't know about other genres but for crime/suspense the author community is really supportive.
My publisher has asked me to make the longest list possible of who would be good to ask for blurbs, with information on why and if I have any connection to them. He will then reach out but, I'm guessing, if I do have a connection he'll ask me to do so.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
My editor did reach out to another author for a blurb, which I’m very happy about! Understandably, though, editors focus on doing that for their lead titles, especially when it comes to contacting big names.

I’ve never had another author ask me for an ARC, I don’t think! I wish I could find a way to connect with the adult thriller community, since my books are pretty mature in their style and themes. I need to work on querying the big thriller reviewers.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
My editor did reach out to another author for a blurb, which I’m very happy about! Understandably, though, editors focus on doing that for their lead titles, especially when it comes to contacting big names.

I’ve never had another author ask me for an ARC, I don’t think! I wish I could find a way to connect with the adult thriller community, since my books are pretty mature in their style and themes. I need to work on querying the big thriller reviewers.
There is a big thriller/crime writing community on Twitter. I've got to know a few authors and reviewers/bloggers that way. Twitter DMs are quite an easy way to ask for blurbs or receive ARC requests from authors and editors. I know I am lucky. Living in the UK means the community is a lot smaller than what it must be in the US. It also means that I've been able to meet a few authors at book launches and writing festivals too which another way to connect.

literaryguitar

Registered
Reaction score

My publisher apparently got Lee Childs to blurb a debut thriller. I don't think he knows him.

IrishLitWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m on submission with Book 1 at the moment. I concur with other sentiments expressed in this thread about lack of responsiveness from publishers. I have been on submission for 3 months (almost to the day). The initial round was 12 publishers. I received two quick rejections (one I was expecting as the editor had just published something v similar to mine) and then nothing for a while. Then 3 more rejections after an agent nudge. The feedback was generally nice, although mostly saying things like “I didn’t connect with the voice” or “ it never quite ignited for me” which I can’t really do anything with.

Will speak to Agent in a few weeks to determine next steps. In the meantime, I have am pretending that Book 1 no longer exists and getting stuck into Book 2. I pushed back against “writing the next thing” while waiting as I didnt think I was in the right head space, but it really is the only way to survive this period without losing your marbles.

literaryguitar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m on submission with Book 1 at the moment. I concur with other sentiments expressed in this thread about lack of responsiveness from publishers. I have been on submission for 3 months (almost to the day). The initial round was 12 publishers. I received two quick rejections (one I was expecting as the editor had just published something v similar to mine) and then nothing for a while. Then 3 more rejections after an agent nudge. The feedback was generally nice, although mostly saying things like “I didn’t connect with the voice” or “ it never quite ignited for me” which I can’t really do anything with.

Will speak to Agent in a few weeks to determine next steps. In the meantime, I have am pretending that Book 1 no longer exists and getting stuck into Book 2. I pushed back against “writing the next thing” while waiting as I didnt think I was in the right head space, but it really is the only way to survive this period without losing your marbles.
Hi, what genre do you write? Sorry for the unhelpful editor feedback. I sometimes felt like I was trying to read tea leaves while figuring out from editor responses whether I should revise.

I wasn't able to start a new book for the first months I was on sub either, but eventually I was able to and it really is true that it helps. It also makes it weirder to return to the other book for edits, I've found. I got my final sensitivity read a couple of weeks ago and was like "why didn't they pick up on that thing I was worried about? did they miss it or does it mean it's not a problem?" So I went back and did a search to find thing-I-was-worried-was-problematic in order to ask the reader, since it was part of the reason I'd wanted another sensitivity read-- and it wasn't there! I apparently had removed it on my own in one of the revisions. Having space from it made me not even remember what I'd left in and taken out. I do think, in general, having a new book really does blunt things to some extent with the publishing process.