Words You've Learned from Reading and Writing

Fi Webster

May 21-25 waxing crescent 🌒
Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas originally, now living in Maryland (DC area)
Website
www.ipernity.com
This is such a great thread! I don't understand why it isn't popping up near the top of AW, every day.

I'm with you, oneblindmouse, in having to look up eschatology repeatedly. It's a word embedded in a JudeoChristian religious context, so it has a way of slipping right out of my pagan mind.

irrupt = to rush in forcibly or violently

"William James, the great 19th-century philosopher and one of the founders of psychology, argued that we should avoid assuming that human consciousness irrupted, fully formed, into the universe, and should seek simpler precursors."

ETA: Oops! I should've directed my comment about eschatology to @AbelCM

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I learned that a word I thought I knew the meaning of doesn't mean what I thought it did:

Doughty: brave and persistent.

For decades, I thought it meant something like "drab" or "unremarkable." I tend to associate it with small birds, so I probably heard something like a "doughty little sparrow" or something and picked it up incorrectly from the context.

Fi Webster

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ipernity.com
Glad to see you on this thread, Chris! Yeh, little birds are pretty doughty critters.

I keep learning new informal Brit words every time I read the Guardian.

For example:

duff (adj.) = useless, broken, or of poor quality

(as opposed to duff on the forest floor)

spaff (v.) = to waste money on something:

Weird how Brits like words ending in FF. A number of years ago I picked up chuffed = enthused.

Fi Webster

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ipernity.com
stentorian = extremely loud

I already knew this word, but have never seen it used figuratively, as in this sentence I just read about Matisse's late career "cut out" series:

"At one extreme are the intricate studies of a woman in an interior, painted in the 1920s, with a delicacy of touch that sometimes brings Watteau to mind. At the other extreme are the immense, almost stentorian cut-paper compositons of the early 1950s."

Reactions: AbelCM

Janine R

Registered
Reaction score
stentorian = extremely loud

I already knew this word, but have never seen it used figuratively, as in this sentence I just read about Matisse's late career "cut out" series:

"At one extreme are the intricate studies of a woman in an interior, painted in the 1920s, with a delicacy of touch that sometimes brings Watteau to mind. At the other extreme are the immense, almost stentorian cut-paper compositons of the early 1950s."
I thought stentorian meant loud and deep, a voice that carries.

Reactions: Fi Webster

Fi Webster

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ipernity.com
I thought stentorian meant loud and deep, a voice that carries.

It does—loud, deep, powerful. And it usually refers to a person's voice. I just thought that figurative use of it to describe Matisse's late-period collage, with its big bold solid-color shapes, was interesting.

Last edited:

bjefferson

Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or are others often discovering new words, or gaining a new depth of understanding of the language from reading and writing?

Here's a few words I've gleaned from stuff I've read (yes, I'm keeping a list :) ):

• copse - a small group of trees
  • limn - to depict or describe in painting or words
  • peal - loud ringing of a bell or bells
  • vertiginous - causing vertigo especially by being extremely high or steep
  • tesselate - to decorate a flor with mosaics
  • deign - to do something that one considers beneath one's dignity
  • manse - a clergy house or a large imposing residence
  • palanquin - an Asian means of conveyance
  • chattel - an item of tangible movable or immovable property except real estate and things (such as buildings) connected with real property
Got your own words you've learned from reading/writing? Share 'em here!

ETA: This thread has grown legs, so here are quick links to longer conglomerations of unique words and phrases:

List 01
List 02
List 03
List 04
List 05
List 06
List 07
List 08
List 09
List 10
List 11
List 12
I'm sure I'd heard this previously, but I recently read Stephen Markley's The Deluge, and it opened my eyes to the word:

facsimile -- an exact copy, especially of written or printed material.

I don't know why I find it so interesting. Maybe it just sounded cool spoken by Stephen Markley's radical, hyper-intelligent characters (I listened to it on Audible).

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I'd heard this previously, but I recently read Stephen Markley's The Deluge, and it opened my eyes to the word:

facsimile -- an exact copy, especially of written or printed material.

I don't know why I find it so interesting. Maybe it just sounded cool spoken by Stephen Markley's radical, hyper-intelligent characters (I listened to it on Audible).

And it's the origin of the word "fax." :)

The very first time I sent a fax, I made a photocopy first to be sure I retained the original. Yeah, I learned something new that day....

Fi Webster

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ipernity.com
And it's the origin of the word "fax." :)

The very first time I sent a fax, I made a photocopy first to be sure I retained the original. Yeah, I learned something new that day....

Well-observed! Also, shades of Walter Benjamin's influential 1936 essay "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction."

You know, the one in which Benjamin coins a new meaning for the word aura: a quality integral to an artwork that cannot be communicated through mechanical reproduction techniques—such as photography.

Original artwork vs. facsimile, reproduction, copy

In unrelated word news, I just stumbled on this one:

anaphora (n.) = repetition of a word or expression at the beginning of successive phrases, clauses, sentences, or verses especially for rhetorical or poetic effect. (Lincoln's "we cannot dedicate—we cannot consecrate—we cannot hallow—this ground" is an example of anaphora.)

I ran into the word anaphora in a discussion by Stanley Fish of Martin Luther King's rhetorical style in "Letter From a Birmingham Jail." I'm sure y'all are familiar with that text, since it always gets alluded to on King's birthday, which wasn't long ago.

Stanley Fish writes:

King is replying to the question (sometimes asked by his colleagues in the movement) “Why don’t you wait a while and hold back on the sit-ins and marches?” The answer is at once withheld and given. It is formally withheld by the succession of “when” clauses (the technical name is anaphora), that offer themselves as preliminary to the direct assertion but are the direct assertion; each “when” clause is presented as a piece of the answer, but is in itself fully sufficient as an answer. “Here is the reason we can’t wait,” each says, but if that isn’t enough, here is another and another.​

Last edited:

Alexis McLeod

Registered
Reaction score
When I was writing a paradody on "Call of Cthulhu," I discovered the world, 'similacrum: idol, effigy.' But I've encountered most interesting words in early and pre- twentieth century writing.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I learned that a word I thought I knew the meaning of doesn't mean what I thought it did:

Doughty: brave and persistent.

For decades, I thought it meant something like "drab" or "unremarkable." I tend to associate it with small birds, so I probably heard something like a "doughty little sparrow" or something and picked it up incorrectly from the context.

The source of my mistake has been identified! The word I was thinking of is dowdy, to be lacking in smartness or taste in appearance, and to my ears would be pronounced similarly enough to doughty as to be easily confused.

Reactions: AbelCM

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Biblichor: the comforting, faint, and musty smell of old books. Read this in Book Eaters 😅

P.S. Does anyone know why Fi Webster was banned? I always enjoyed her posts 😮

Nope. I am assuming either something or some pattern was seen and/or reported. A decision was made.

• Sad
Reactions: Ink-Soul

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Try not to read too much into a ban, particularly if the reason isn't obvious. Some people request to be banned for various, completely non-melt-downy reasons. [I have no inside knowledge, so I'm not hinting at anything--just pointing out the list of reasons can be long, and totally non-controversial.]

Reactions: Ink-Soul

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
pelage, noun. The fur, coat, hair, or wool covering the body of an animal.

Maryn, reading nonfiction(!)

Fi Webster

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ipernity.com
I've been rereading Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian for the umpteenth time: it's a mother lode of fascinating words, for sure.

I was struck just now by the word starsprent in this sentence:
To the west the cloudbanks stood above the mountains like the dark warp of the very firmament and the starsprent reaches of the galaxies hung in a vast aura above the riders’ heads.​
"Sprent" is the past participle of "sprenge," which means either (1) to explode, blow up or (2) to sprinkle. So I take it McCarthy means that the reaches are sprinkled with stars.

Realspiritik

Realspiritik
Registered
Reaction score
What a wonderful thread!

I keep Post-It notes with lists of interesting words I've come across, and when I have a few minutes to spare, I transfer some of the words into my "vocab journal" and add the meanings, parts of speech, etc. .

Thanks, everyone, for your contributions!

ludic = spontaneously playful (adverb: ludically)