Help with a Murder Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janaye

Registered
Reaction score
So I have been writing this book now for about a month or so but stopped because I had no idea what else to write and started two additional books and those are on pause as well lool. I have the scenes created in my head like my brain is fairly good with imagery but it's the introduction of the characters that I need assistance on I already have the serial killer's name and what his victims will look like but I don't know what else to write. I also have a title for it already.

Anyone out there willing to give it a read for me?

Autumn Leaves

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Janaye, and welcome to Absolute Write! I hope you have a nice time here. After you have got 50 substantive posts at the forums, you can post excerpts of your texts and get critique of them at Share Your Work. A good way to reach the necessary post number will be to participate in commenting on others’ texts in that section — it will indirectly help you improve your own work as well.

Reactions: Calla Lily

Janaye

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Janaye, and welcome to Absolute Write! I hope you have a nice time here. After you have got 50 substantive posts at the forums, you can post excerpts of your texts and get critique of them at Share Your Work. A good way to reach the necessary post number will be to participate in commenting on others’ texts in that section — it will indirectly help you improve your own work as well.
Okay, thank you.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
In addition to what Autumn Leaves had said, it might benefit you to look at threads other people have made and read the answers they've gotten. A lot of problems people have aren't unique (there's a reason why Stack Overflow is so popular for programmers!) and you might be able to find something that helps you.

When I come up with a new idea, there's usually a lot of holes like you're experiencing. What I've done a few times that's really helped me is the snowflake method as it works really well with how I outline stories. I only do the first few steps and then run off with my own system, but it will make you think about who are your important characters, what it is they want, and the general structure of your story.

Some people like using "character sheets" or other stories for planning out stories, like Save the Cat. There's no universal right answer, and what's needed for each project might mean another method might help you. This is where looking at other threads can help you out.

Reactions: Calla Lily

Janaye

Registered
Reaction score
In addition to what Autumn Leaves had said, it might benefit you to look at threads other people have made and read the answers they've gotten. A lot of problems people have aren't unique (there's a reason why Stack Overflow is so popular for programmers!) and you might be able to find something that helps you.

When I come up with a new idea, there's usually a lot of holes like you're experiencing. What I've done a few times that's really helped me is the snowflake method as it works really well with how I outline stories. I only do the first few steps and then run off with my own system, but it will make you think about who are your important characters, what it is they want, and the general structure of your story.

Some people like using "character sheets" or other stories for planning out stories, like Save the Cat. There's no universal right answer, and what's needed for each project might mean another method might help you. This is where looking at other threads can help you out

Some people like using "character sheets" or other stories for planning out stories, like Save the Cat. There's no universal right answer, and what's needed for each project might mean another method might help you. This is where looking at other threads can help you out.
Appreciate it, thank you.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Thanks.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net

Thanks.

jjosuminded

Registered
Reaction score
I think a good question is: what makes this serial killer story special? What’s interesting about it, other than being about murder?

Is the killer the protagonist? What’s their story?

Is one of the victims the protagonist? What’s their story?

Is is the setting what makes it unnerving? Does it happen in the wilderness? Or in a busy city?

Is there anything particularly unique about the method for targeting victims? Or is the killing ritual so puzzling that it makes you want to uncover why those murders occurred in that particular manner?

I think if you attempt to answer these, a lot of ideas will come.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think a good question is: what makes this serial killer story special? What’s interesting about it, other than being about murder?

Is the killer the protagonist? What’s their story?

Is one of the victims the protagonist? What’s their story?

Is is the setting what makes it unnerving? Does it happen in the wilderness? Or in a busy city?

Is there anything particularly unique about the method for targeting victims? Or is the killing ritual so puzzling that it makes you want to uncover why those murders occurred in that particular manner?

I think if you attempt to answer these, a lot of ideas will come.
@jjosuminded, you've inadvertently revived (necro'd) this thread from 2021. It's a good idea to check the date on a post before you reply to it :) It's likely that after 18 months @Janaye has already completed the book they were asking about!

Status
Not open for further replies.