• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Purcell Agency

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Her PW blurb...

Sold first book contract in 2004, and most recently sold one that is forthcoming 2014, with 8 others in between, all non-fiction for the Teen and Youth markets. All 10 manuscripts sold to traditional publishers, all for one author.
... and her website:

The Purcell Agency started in July of 2012 after author Tina P. Schwartz spent twelve years writing and marketing her work, along with helping several others get published.
In short, wait to see what sales she can make for fiction -- assuming that's what you're writing.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that too, CaoPaux. Good point. And you're right, mine is fiction. I queried her when I posted this before, but haven't heard back yet. I will let you guys know if I do.

F.J.R. Titchenell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
She now lists one fiction author on the agency website, Cherie Colyer, whose novel, Embrace, is published by Omnific Publishing, according to Amazon.com. Its reputation (Omnific's) isn't too promising.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Its reputation (Omnific's) isn't too promising.

Disclaimer(published by OF)

One of Omnific's books has just moved onto a larger publisher with a 7 figure deal based on steady sales. I expect this isn't a one off.

Regardless, Omnific accepts non-agented queries so it's irrelevant to this agents ability to catch the attention of publishers. Anyone can submit. One of the first things I look for in an agent is the ability to get me in doors I can't get in myself.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
"One of the first things I look for in an agent is the ability to get me in doors I can't get in myself."

Truly. same here and pretty much every writer.

I did submit a query (with a sample chapter and synopsis) and Tina was delightful to hear from, even though she declined the offer to see more, she gave a detailed critique, which is something that doesn't happen often. I would submit to her again, definitely

Reactions: MaeZe

shhhman

Registered
Reaction score
The Purcell Agency?

Has anyone had any more recent contact with this agency? I have basic info. which suggests she subs to minor/major publishers. She currently has my full YA MS and said in her email that she thought my first three chapters were great. Her words not mine. Tina P. Schwartz is the agent. Not a huge presence on twitter, but that doesn't mean much. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

writinggal

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any recent dealings with Tina? She's had my full for a bit now and she sounds lovely, but not a lot of info about her. Anyone have any experience with her?

AlyssaIntern

Registered
Reaction score
Email Tina for follow up on where your ms is in the que. She'll give you a better time frame! :) TPA staff

AlyssaIntern

Registered
Reaction score
Send note to Tina asking for your position in the que. She'll get back to you immediately with estimate. Thx! :) TPA staff

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
They're going to open to submissions on May 1st. I'm looking forward to submitting. I think I'm going to try Kim McCollum. She looks like she may be a better fit.

They have a book from Flux, Merit and Capstone too which is impressive!

I know Capstone and Merit you don't need an agent to submit, but they are still very solid places. I think you would have a better chance if you had an agent. Flux only takes agented subs.

Last edited:

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
18-months between submitting my 3 chapters and their recently very politely requesting a full, so hang in there, everyone.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they are currently closed to submissions, and they won't be taking pitches at conferences until the middle of next year. That's not exactly insightful ;) but it's probably sufficient to put them on the back-burner list.

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Cathie Hedrick-Armstrong on an MG fantasy: 8/10/2022
Cathie Hedrick-Armstrong replied that she was referring my query to her colleague Bonnie Swanson: 11/10/2022
Full request from Bonnie Swanson: 11/10/2022

Has anyone had any recent experiences with Bonnie Swanson or the agency? Would love to hear from you all. This is the first time I've ever been referred to another agent in the same agency. I wasn't entirely sure agents actually did that!

Janine R

Registered
Reaction score
Cathie Hedrick-Armstrong replied that she was referring my query to her colleague Bonnie Swanson: 11/10/2022

Has anyone had any recent experiences with Bonnie Swanson or the agency? Would love to hear from you all. This is the first time I've ever been referred to another agent in the same agency. I wasn't entirely sure agents actually did that!
Congratulations

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score

Oh they do! And some make it clear on their website. I queried after a Twitter pitch like and received a response from another agent.

Anyways, congratulations! I wish it happened more often!

Reactions: Gramps

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I tried to dig a little into the agency and its sales. Seems like a lot are to publishing houses that don't require an agent.

Anyone have any updated insights?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Nope--I checked my spreadsheets because I've run across the name a bunch of times over the years, but they are not on my spreadsheet because none of their agents had been good representatives for adult SciFi.

It looks like Bonnie is the agent for that--and she was not open when I was querying.