Comps Q + including small publishers in query?

darkangel77

Head in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I’m in the process of querying my new MS, and in my initial batch of 12, I got a 6 form rejections, 2 CNRs and a 4 requests (all ended in rejection). I sent my MS out to new beta readers, and in the interim, found a few things to add in my query, yet I’m not sure if they would help or hinder it.

My questions -

1. Would it be worthwhile to mention small/indie press interest in the query letter?

During pitch events, I got some ‘likes’ from small and indie publishers. For the legit ones, they accept both agented and unagented submissions, but of course prioritize agented subs. I also had two editor ‘likes’ from bigger publishing houses, which I mentioned in my query.

2. Is it better to use two older, better known comps or a single new, but perhaps more unknown comp?

I originally used 2 older comps (pubbed in 2018 & 2017) that sold fairly well. But, a new trad-pubbed debut book came out a few days ago that fits aspects of both those books. But, since it’s so new, it’s still sparse in terms of reviews/ratings. I also have a third book comp as well.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you all may have!

darkangel77

Head in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted in Ask An Agent, but wondering if it’s more appropriate to ask here. Mods please delete if this (or the other) thread is in the wrong forum.

Hi all!

I’m in the process of querying my new MS, and in my initial batch of 12, I got a 6 form rejections, 2 CNRs and a 4 requests (all ended in rejection). I sent my MS out to new beta readers, and in the interim, found a few things to add in my query, yet I’m not sure if they would help or hinder it.

My questions -

1. Would it be worthwhile to mention small/indie press interest in the query letter?

During pitch events, I got some ‘likes’ from small and indie publishers. For the legit ones, they accept both agented and unagented submissions, but of course prioritize agented subs. I also had two editor ‘likes’ from bigger publishing houses, which I mentioned in my query.

2. Is it better to use two older, better known comps or a single new, but perhaps more unknown comp?

I originally used 2 older comps (pubbed in 2018 & 2017) that sold fairly well. But, a new trad-pubbed debut book came out a few days ago that fits aspects of both those books. But, since it’s so new, it’s still sparse in terms of reviews/ratings. I also have a third book comp as well.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted in Ask An Agent, but wondering if it’s more appropriate to ask here. Mods please delete if this (or the other) thread is in the wrong forum.

Hi all!

My questions -

Interest isn't a publication credit, so no.
Definitely no. Although the likes and requests show that you're clearly ahead of the game when it comes to pitching your material!

Comps need to be trade published within the last three years. Small or large doesn't matter. 2018 is pushing it and 2017 is too old.

Reactions: darkangel77

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You posted these same questions in another subforum. Please don't do that.

I'm going to ask the mod for this subforum to close this thread, since you've already gotten a response in the other one.

Last edited:

darkangel77

Head in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Interest isn't a publication credit, so no.

Definitely no. Although the likes and requests show that you're clearly ahead of the game when it comes to pitching your material!

Comps need to be trade published within the last three years. Small or large doesn't matter. 2018 is pushing it and 2017 is too old.
Thanks Brigid! I will leave out the small publishers and replace the two older comps with the new one.

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score

Hi all!

I’m in the process of querying my new MS, and in my initial batch of 12, I got a 6 form rejections, 2 CNRs and a 4 requests (all ended in rejection).
For what it's worth, those are awesome stats, even if they were rejections in the end. I'm the Queen of CNRs. :ROFLMAO: Your query letter seems to be working at least.

Any actionable comments in the full rejections? Because that's what seems to be more the issue, unless it's just a subjective taste thing...

Reactions: Brigid Barry

darkangel77

Head in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, those are awesome stats, even if they were rejections in the end. I'm the Queen of CNRs. :ROFLMAO: Your query letter seems to be working at least.

Any actionable comments in the full rejections? Because that's what seems to be more the issue, unless it's just a subjective taste thing...
Aw thanks! Sadly no, the full/partial rejections were mostly form. One had a little personalization saying she didn’t connect to the dialogue.

I’m hoping the new betas can help with seeing something I can’t!

And querying seems rough these days - seems like agents are slammed and everything seems so, so slow.

• Hug
Reactions: Mevrouw Bee

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Aw thanks! Sadly no, the full/partial rejections were mostly form. One had a little personalization saying she didn’t connect to the dialogue.

I’m hoping the new betas can help with seeing something I can’t!

And querying seems rough these days - seems like agents are slammed and everything seems so, so slow.
My mistake was not predicting the Queen's death so querying a truckload of UK agents six weeks ago!

But, yeah, it's weird. The agents with the MSWLs that seem to match my MS the closest are also the least apt to reply. So I'm pretty much 50/50 CNR & rejections. Fortunately a partial and 2 fulls still out though...