The New W1S1 High Tea Bar and Lounge (with extra-comfy sofas)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
It's Monday afternoon where I'm at. I'm ill. I failed.

I started working on a short-story on the 26th of July. The deadline was today.

In my defense, I've been very busy with work the past week. Rather, administrative obligations have been placed upon me, because some people just can't make up their mind in time whilst others simply don't care. This gave me just a couple of hours of writing-related hours to make do with.

To all of that coco jamboo, I got Covid. It's not as bad as the first time I've had it, in 2020, but it still sucks. The bright side is that it's going away, slowly but surely. I would expect to be completely fine by Thursday at the latest.

So here I sit, bummed, whelmed, and quite a bit discouraged. Considering that I joined this challenge hoping to maintain a solid pace, I don't know what to do. Do I finish my story? Maybe, but I won't be able to sub it. The submission guidelines where specific, especially regarding theme. I won't be able to sub it to another publication, at least not in its current form.

The positive part of this little journey is that I've had a great deal of fun researching some historical facts which have completely eluded me in the past, not for a lack of trying, but quite honestly for a lack of interest in the subject. Never have I imagined that one day I'd be looking into 19th century railway publications or reading about currency rates from the same time period. Even if I failed my goal, I have come out the richer for it.

If any of you can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated. What would you do in my position?
Sorry to hear you've had a bad week, Lucius, and that you've caught the big C again. My advice: rest and recover. Bad writing weeks (or months, or even years) happen and for all sorts of reasons, and slapping ourselves around when they do isn't of any use. You'll bounce back :)

Whether you keep plugging away at the story or whether you put it aside for a while and work on something else is really only a decision you can make. But it's not one you have to make right now :)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on how much you like the story. I wrote a story for a themed anthology once that closed early (>: ) and I just stopped editing immediately. I liked it, but not enough to clean it up and see if I could make it less obviously themed. If you like it, it might be worth finishing. As you write, you might get ideas for how to change it for another market.

I don't know if that's actually any help. It does suck. I don't think any writing is ever wasted though.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
It's Monday afternoon where I'm at. I'm ill. I failed.

I started working on a short-story on the 26th of July. The deadline was today.

In my defense, I've been very busy with work the past week. Rather, administrative obligations have been placed upon me, because some people just can't make up their mind in time whilst others simply don't care. This gave me just a couple of hours of writing-related hours to make do with.

To all of that coco jamboo, I got Covid. It's not as bad as the first time I've had it, in 2020, but it still sucks. The bright side is that it's going away, slowly but surely. I would expect to be completely fine by Thursday at the latest.

So here I sit, bummed, whelmed, and quite a bit discouraged. Considering that I joined this challenge hoping to maintain a solid pace, I don't know what to do. Do I finish my story? Maybe, but I won't be able to sub it. The submission guidelines where specific, especially regarding theme. I won't be able to sub it to another publication, at least not in its current form.

The positive part of this little journey is that I've had a great deal of fun researching some historical facts which have completely eluded me in the past, not for a lack of trying, but quite honestly for a lack of interest in the subject. Never have I imagined that one day I'd be looking into 19th century railway publications or reading about currency rates from the same time period. Even if I failed my goal, I have come out the richer for it.

If any of you can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated. What would you do in my position?
I'm sorry you have Covid, glad to see you're on the upswing. I'd say first and foremost is taking the time you need to get well.

That you missed the deadline sucks, for sure. If you like your story, finish it when you can. Odds are you will find other places to sub it, or a fresh angle to tweak to make it competitive in other venues, or who knows, maybe one day you'll expand it, or take the research done to work on something new :)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Daily Science Fiction closing down (temporarily or otherwise) is sad :(

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
There was a note on their story email today. They’re going on hiatus, “either temporary or somewhat longer”. They have stories accepted/scheduled through mid-December.

• Sad
Reactions: Izz

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
My subscription was cancelled as well, which was... like... oh dear. Then I saw the story note.

• Sad

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
That's sad. I remember when they first opened. At the time, I publicly voiced my doubts that they'd survive longer than a year paying pro rates for a story a day. I was very glad they proved me wrong. Hopefully the hiatus is just temporary but even if it's not, 12 years for a self-funded pro-paying venture is pretty damn decent!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Had to share this. A review for Miltan Epsilon, and my favorite one so far :D :ROFLMAO:

the overly exuberant girl was really annoying. otherwise, an interesting story, especially when deducting the steps needed to solve the mystery.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Izz, I'm not sure whether I should laugh or not!

Hello, September! I didn't have the best August, I must say. Didn't make all my goals and pretty lackluster on the ones I did make. I managed to get a story edited last minute for a themed call. It's already been rejected. Sigh.

But I went on a lovely holiday, up to Kalbarri in a meandering way. Kalbarri is oceans and whales and gorges and hikes and wildflowers. I brought my surface with me, just in case, but gave myself the holiday off from any writing or editing. And, uh, I definitely did none. I hoped it would refresh and/or inspire me for September. So far, not really, but it was still a lovely holiday.

Reactions: ap123 and Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Izz, I'm not sure whether I should laugh or not!
Laugh! Definitely laugh :D I'm not sure why but I just love that review so much!
Hello, September! I didn't have the best August, I must say. Didn't make all my goals and pretty lackluster on the ones I did make. I managed to get a story edited last minute for a themed call. It's already been rejected. Sigh.

But I went on a lovely holiday, up to Kalbarri in a meandering way. Kalbarri is oceans and whales and gorges and hikes and wildflowers. I brought my surface with me, just in case, but gave myself the holiday off from any writing or editing. And, uh, I definitely did none. I hoped it would refresh and/or inspire me for September. So far, not really, but it was still a lovely holiday.
Commiserations on not reaching all your August goals, but hooray for a nice holiday! Sounds like an amazing place :)

Reactions: ap123

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!
I had Covid in August, definitely threw me off my game, so here we are a week into September and I've neither written a word nor sent off any subs. On the bright side, I did two loads of laundry yesterday and didn't have to take a nap afterwards.

Looking at my Twitter feed, I should be feeling all kinds of internal pressure to send off subs to all the mags that opened for the season on the 1st, but I don't.

Happy writing. :)

• Hug
Reactions: Tamlyn and Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi all!
I had Covid in August, definitely threw me off my game, so here we are a week into September and I've neither written a word nor sent off any subs. On the bright side, I did two loads of laundry yesterday and didn't have to take a nap afterwards.

Looking at my Twitter feed, I should be feeling all kinds of internal pressure to send off subs to all the mags that opened for the season on the 1st, but I don't.

Happy writing. :)
Commiserations on the Covid but yay on the lack of internal pressure :D

ETA: Hmm, commiserations seems to be my word of the moment at the, uh, well, moment...

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
pllft moan moan grumble

Today is meant to be a writing day (I work part-time, so at least one of my non in office days is meant to have lots of writing) and I just do not. Feel. Another rejection, only a couple of stories out in the world, and it all feels very pointless.

Writing a contemporary romance atm. When I write my normal fantasy and sf, I can get caught up in the spiral of it's not good, why am I bothering. With the romance, it can be as bad as it wants because it doesn't matter. It's just for fun.

Mind you, right now I don't even wanna with my D&D prep, and that is definitely in the fun not serious camp.

Welp, better go and at least see if I can get into editing.

• Hug

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
No advice, Tamlyn, but lots of empathy. I've been in the same kind of why-bother space. For writing and subbing. I let it all be. I've been here before and will be here again, sometimes we need to step back and recharge. Sending 💙

• Love
Reactions: Tamlyn

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So after what feels like forever of being creatively flat thanks to the New Job sucking up all my time and energy, this weekend my brain broke out :ROFLMAO:

I could waffle but I'll try not to :p Essentially, I drove 6 hours (across 2 days), alone. During which time a decade-old idea sprouted. Like, quickly. And today (which is a public holiday here in NZ) I'm going to transcribe all the voice notes I made - hopefully they make sense - and see if I can ride the rush a bit longer.

Creative highs, yo!

Reactions: ap123 and Tamlyn

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
yay for ideas!

hope you're enjoying the job, even if it is a creative suck

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to see this, Izz. Those creative highs are such a great feeling.

So, after I last whined, I got my act in gear and subbed to a bunch of places. In a mere 3-6 months I'll whine about the Rs trickling in. ;)

Reactions: Tamlyn and Izz

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Between holidays, feeling eh, and minor surgery (and then never quite managing to turn my brain back on after my recovery), September was not a good month. I am determined not to feel bad about it though. I'm allowed to need time off.

I did manage to finish another flash draft, so I have won that yearly goal! I'm at 12 out of 12 for stories drafted!

• Hug

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I subbed a story!

Submitting has been even more brick-walled than writing for me lately, but I had one sitting around that hadn't gone to Uncanny yet, and they were open (closing tonight), and I actually had some time tonight plus that immediate deadline, so, story sent!