The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have champagne tastes and a beer budget so I hear you on the house.
Same here, which is why we bought a small, crappy, cottage in the middle of nowhere, but with enough space that we aren't on our neighbours' doorsteps. Location, location, location.

We still have no insulation in any of the walls, and the windows leak cold air thanks to constant earthquake-caused shifting, and we've run out of storage room yonkers ago, and well yeah basically I hate the house, but I'm happy to live on a dead end road with enough room for the critters.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boo for weasels that eat chicks!

Boo for earthquakes shifting your house!

Boo for my stressful day. I was tired all morning, then after one job I got called for another one in Seattle. Seafair weekend starts today with the Blue Angels practicing over the lake and that means awful awful traffic as opposed to awful traffic. Aaand I got stuck in it so I was late to my OT appointment.

The therapist was very kind and saw me anyway so that was nice. My son was kind enough to drive all the way to Bellevue from Seattle to give me a ride home after I dropped off the rental car. (I still have the loaner car.) It was a short bus ride and a few block's walk with one hill to get home but he insisted in giving me a ride because he's worried I'll fall again. I am glad he came.

Then bad thing number two happened, I can't find the paperwork from the job this morning. I did have the blood I'd drawn and I was able to get that off to the lab, but I don't have the employee's phone number to call her with those results. Fortunately I didn't tell her I'd have them in a day.

The dental office I went to is closed Fri-Sun so they won't get the message I left until Monday. Once I hear from them I'll be relieved as long as they find the paperwork for me. They can mail it to me, or worst option I'll have to drive back and get it. It's a small office so it'll be fine once they find it.

But until then, I'll be stressed and unsettled all weekend.

Could be worse, I could be mourning my pet chicks that got eaten. I worry when I let my dog out in the backyard at night because we have coyotes that can easily jump my fence and my little dog is the size of their prey.

Okay, enough of that, time to put my feet up and pour a glass of wine.

• Hug
Reactions: CWNitz

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boo for my stressful day. I was tired all morning, then after one job I got called for another one in Seattle. Seafair weekend starts today with the Blue Angels practicing over the lake and that means awful awful traffic as opposed to awful traffic. Aaand I got stuck in it so I was late to my OT appointment.
Dear sweet everloving cheesy rice, are you an airspace traffic controller????? --pours heaps of sympathy and support-- Here, have my glass of wine. Have the bottle. Have the bloody case.

Regardless, your day sounds absolutely shite. Hugs and sympathy.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MaeZe

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
I have champagne tastes and a beer budget so I hear you on the house.
Champagne was actually my initial destination, because it's much cheaper than Alsace houses-wise (although not drink-wise). I went there to check out on a few houses a week ago.

I ended up deciding to go back to the région I came from (Mum is delighted), but I did get a Champagne tasting out of it, and it was delicious. I'm not usually a Champagne fan, but there was a super dry one that was really good. I forgot to write down the name, obviously...

The cheap alternative we have in Alsace is the crémant d'Alsace. It's just as good, but it's not called Champagne because people in Champagne are snobs.

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
Same here, which is why we bought a small, crappy, cottage in the middle of nowhere, but with enough space that we aren't on our neighbours' doorsteps. Location, location, location.

We still have no insulation in any of the walls, and the windows leak cold air thanks to constant earthquake-caused shifting, and we've run out of storage room yonkers ago, and well yeah basically I hate the house, but I'm happy to live on a dead end road with enough room for the critters.
Terrible insulation from weather, but good insulation from people. It's a fair compromise.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I always forget how something as smol and cute-looking as a weasel can wreak such bloody masacre. And it's like with the snails biting off the rare flowerheads, or the mice taking my iris-bulbs, they always seem to know to take just what hurts you the most. That's nature for you. Spiteful in all its forms. Weasels are exceedingly rare here, but I'm told pine martens are making a comeback. They apparently also have a predilection for vulnerable car parts. And they're protected so you can't even touch them.

Never did quite see the attarction of champagne myself, but a nice and cold sweet muscat wine, now there's something you can win this froggy over with. And there is this one Corsican muscat pétillant that... oh, is pretty darn close to tastebud heaven.

Reactions: MaeZe and CWNitz

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
Most mustelids are pretty brutal. Just go a size up and you get badgers and wolverines.

A pair of barn cats can sometimes solve the issue, but against weasels it takes brave cats to win.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
But then I haven't seen a badger yet dragging a rabbit home five times their size...

Now wolverines, wolverines are about the ultimate don't-mess-with-me-mammal since the demise of the cave hyena or something.

Frightfully cool animals, wolverines, but preferable from a distance. Like, another continent sounds real nice.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
How can I have written something around 300K fictional words, but am struggling to hit 3K on this essay?? What kind of sick cosmic joke is this? :Hammer:
Ugh, yeah. Sometimes I look back on my school and college days and wonder, if I'd started writing fiction sooner, would it have helped me get essays done faster? (Written assignments were always my best grade, but I was always right at the deadline finishing them.) And then I realize that those are still two very different forms of writing and no, it probably wouldn't have.

Morning, Cantina. It's been a fairly quiet week, which has been nice. I've done some good rewriting on the Snow White retelling climax and feeling like it's improving pretty well.

Da beagle's annual vet appointment was this week. Got him on an antibiotic for an infection and it's already helping. Also, he's been on a certain monthly flea/tick chew for a while now, but it made him queasy 9 times out of 10. The older he gets the more I felt bad about giving him something once a month that makes him queasy for a minimum of 24 hours, not to mention physically restraining him from licking stuff until he barfs is... frustrating at the least. Finally thought to talk to the vet about it. The topical flea/tick options really don't work anymore, so that, which was my first thought, wasn't an option, but they did offer a different brand of chew that is once every three months instead of once a month, and has different ingredients. He hadn't had his monthly chew yet, so the vet gave us one of the new brand to give him when we got home. Two days later and he's totally fine. No evidence that it made him feel bad AT ALL. So, he's definitely switching to this one permanently. Had we known there was another option, we would have switched him a long time ago!

In funny nature news, earlier in the week, I was in the back yard doing looking at something on the side of the house when suddenly, there was a Mr. Ruby-Throated Hummer hovering DIRECTLY in front of my face going "chip chip chip!" then flew off. The hummer feeder is on the front porch, and I wasn't near any flowers, nor do the hummers usually interact with me in the back yard, so I felt like he was trying to tell me something. I went out front to check the feeder and yep, it was bone dry. Not a drop of moisture left. There had been sugar water in it the night before, so one of the squirrels must have come up and drained it that morning. Smart hummer knows who puts the feeder out and decided to inform me directly of the problem. I refilled the feeder and put it back out and had happy hummers again. *pats self on the head for being a good human who faithfully obeys her hummingbirds* :p

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hooray for wolverines and humms! (Yes, they definitely "tell" you when they're upset with the service... they look in the windows, even.)

Friday morning, and heading to work soonish. Next week they're supposed to have some temp workers to help us get on top of the backlog, which is pushing 3K totes at this point. Hiring would help, but we still seem to have employee attraction and retention issues.

Will probably hit a store on the way home for my every-couple-or-three-weeks Friday "lunch" at the Safeway deli (which is usually just a couple chicken strips).

Still contemplating Sisyphus, which I hope to get back to tonight or this weekend.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Super super cool, one of the Blue Angels jets just zipped by my window!!!

They used to come closer to my house, that was incredible, practically right in front of the picture window. Then some crash somewhere made them re-route around populated areas or at least higher up. But until this year they flew behind trees and I could only hear them or see them way off in the distance.

I don't know why this is such a thrill for me but it is. I can imagine how frightening it must be if you were being bombed by such aircraft. Since the Iraq war, when I see the Angels flying close overhead I've thought about that.

Reactions: Friendly Frog

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Several years ago, I was out at a park in Kelsey Creek when the Angels zipped over on a practice run in tight formation. Got an unexpectedly great photo op out of it...

And I just heard one pass over the house. (They come as far out as our valley to turn around.) Must be warm-up time.

Friday afternoon, finally settling down to lunch. Work was a place I went and a thing I did, followed by some light shopping.

Sibling works this afternoon and evening. Wonder if I can push back dinner a bit since we're not beholden to her TV schedule...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoo hoo! Just when I thought the show was over, the Angels flew by in formation, closer than before.

I live close to Kelsey Creek Park so I imagine you saw a similar sight!

Reactions: Brightdreamer

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And Friday evening, after dinner and dishes, as I sketch out the day's Smaugust and contemplate the Sisyphus. Got a kind-of direction that's not great, but would at least make it somewhat storylike, as opposed to a random string of words with no discernible point. Might just end up going with it for lack of any other inspiration, but will probably not submit until I've sat on it for a while. (It's sufficiently thin and lame enough I almost feel obligated to try with a different prompt, or do flash pieces for all three, or something...)

Figuratively sat on it, at least. Not physically.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Super super cool, one of the Blue Angels jets just zipped by my window!!!

They used to come closer to my house, that was incredible, practically right in front of the picture window. Then some crash somewhere made them re-route around populated areas or at least higher up. But until this year they flew behind trees and I could only hear them or see them way off in the distance.

I don't know why this is such a thrill for me but it is. I can imagine how frightening it must be if you were being bombed by such aircraft. Since the Iraq war, when I see the Angels flying close overhead I've thought about that.
We might be pretty close together, geographically--I live where they are based out of, because my husband is stationed there (he is a pilot, but not a Blue Angel)

Edit: forgot they go to the other coast, so you might be in the city we wish we lived in instead :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And somehow it became Saturday morning. Sunny so far, though autumn's really creeping in around the edges.

Today's plans are the usual room tidying, then attacking Sisyphus (which may or may not be a metaphor for wording), hopefully with some exercise and a dash of Smaugust squeezed in around the edges.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We went to see them at Boeing field on Thursday, but it was disappointing. The weather turned wet and cold and the schedule was off, so we went down to a bakery in South Park that has good Salvadorean bread and pastries. What happened? Two planes started to practice. So we went back, this time to the end of the runway in Georgetown, where there was a huge, smelly homeless encampment, just in time to see the two planes land. We hung around there for an hour, then had to leave to pick up some food. What happened then? The four of them of practiced. Plus, I was stricken by allergies while shopping in the Museum of Flight's store after it started raining and felt ill the rest of the day.

Well, I guess not every jet-watching experience can be a good, but compared to the previous three times at the Museum of Flight, it was a disappointment.

Am I the only one who remembers the glory days of the Blue Angel experience? The jets were always parked close to the museum, there were Navy recruitment stands and places selling balloons, memorabilia, t-shirts, and toys, and, if you a Boeing employee, your employee pass got you a close-up look and you could even sit in the pilot's seat for a photo opportunity. Navy personnel were present and walking around to answer questions and direct traffic. This time, there was NOTHING. The jets were parked far across the runway where the small planes (like Cesnas) refueled, you couldn't even see them or the other planes of the team. Perhaps I can blame 9/11 for being less access, and COVID for the team staff to avoid the general crowd. OTOH maybe these are present during the weekend, where the event is only open to those who paid the museum's entrance price. Which I would, but I always work those days.

• Wow

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Boo for disappointing experiences!

Saturday, past noon, and got the tidying and dusting dealt with, as well as lunch. I think I need to wash the car today, too, but not until it's under shade again. (Also need to clean off the frellin' sap, because of course there's sap on the thing on top of everything else.) Meanwhile, exercise and writing need to happen, but we've been plagued by a robocaller since this morning, and few things derail the train of thought like a ringing telephone.

I watched the first ep of Prime's take on Paper Girls, based on a graphic novel series. If I hadn't read the graphic novels, I might've been very lost, TBH; clunky and weirdly paced and confusing, obviously editing around a thin budget, but I'll probably give it a couple more eps to find its footing.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Hit 15K on the current WIP (yay), but am struck by overall angst (anti-yay). Too hot to enjoy life today. I look forward to escaping this coast more and more each day.

• Hug
Reactions: MaeZe and CWNitz

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boo for bad experiences she said as one of the jets just jetted by her window.

Seemed even closer than yesterday. I used to go outside when they started, and several years back for many years every Seafair I went to various viewing spots. Don't know why I can't get enough of powerful jets booming overhead. Today I can just sit here in comfort and watch them fly by my window!

Boo for cars sticky with sap, my car is back, and it too gets sticky with sap when parked in my driveway. The car repair folks didn't wash it but they gave me a free carwash coupon. I need to wash my car too when it's back in the shade. I suppose I could pull it up on the grass like a good citizen. Nah, it's 81F, too hot out. Well, I'll think a bit more about it.

I must resist going down the news rabbit hole, I waste way too much time roaming around down there.
And somehow it became Saturday morning. Sunny so far, though autumn's really creeping in around the edges. ...
Stop that! If you say it three times autumn will be here.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
~15:00 And they just went by in formation! Definitely closer than before!

15:34 - Four in formation this time. The Sun was glistening off their silver bodies.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
15:34 - Four in formation this time. The Sun was glistening off their silver bodies.
Hmm... this could easily segue in a niche romance thing. Just sayin'... not judging. ;)

Saturday evening, and got some stuff done, more or less. Got the car washed, but the mineral spirits were a bust on sap removal; going to try acetone tomorrow, because I think that's what I used last time. Got exercise in. Fetched mail and the recycle bin. (Someone had added an empty water bottle. As long as it's not a doggie waste bag... yes, someone has done that before. No, I did not take it home.) Was briefly concerned as I followed an oil drip up the road, but it went past our house. And I just inked today's Smaugust.

I polished off an audiobook and am debating whether or not to post a review, because I'm pretty sure my utter layperson's view misses a lot of the point. (Paradise Lost, by Milton, because Overdrive/Libby was a bit skimpy when I was looking for audiobooks.) Nice verse and imagery, at least, even if the classical references were largely lost on me.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the doggie waste is in a tied-off plastic bag, I don't mind people putting it in my can if the can is out. I do get annoyed when they don't pick it up from the yard, so if putting it in the can helps then no worries from me. I live on a heavily dog walked street.

Some of my neighbors mind, but life's too short to let little things be a bother.

Reactions: Friendly Frog

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I polished off an audiobook and am debating whether or not to post a review, because I'm pretty sure my utter layperson's view misses a lot of the point. (Paradise Lost, by Milton, because Overdrive/Libby was a bit skimpy when I was looking for audiobooks.) Nice verse and imagery, at least, even if the classical references were largely lost on me.
I'm thinking you should post it, for the sake of all those people who either have to read it, or think they 'should' read it, who are dreading the classical references, but will at least know that the verse and imagery were good.
So many reviews of 'the classics' are written by people who are really into them, that casual readers are left out in the cold and feeling like they're the only ones who don't get it.