• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Can't work this out

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
My brain can't seem to make a decsion with this.

I've got a character contemplating 'rumour' and how it affects people, and at one point, he muses:

'If religion is the opium of the masses, rumour is its angel dust.'

Or should it be...

"If religion is the opium of the masses, rumour is their angel dust."

I just don't know.

Thanks in advance!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since masses is plural, so too should the pronoun be.

Reactions: Brigid Barry

Lea123

Reliably forgetful
Registered
Reaction score
I’d say their? As the masses refer to living beings (I assume… not sure how the rules work for zombies and the general undead).

I may be wrong and this could just come from the uncomfortable feeling I get when people refer to their pets as ‘it’.

When I read the first version, my mind linked ‘its’ with religion, not with the masses.

… rumours are their angel dust? Again, not sure if that’s correct but it sounds right.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Yep, definitely "their". It's would be referring to "religion" in that sentence since it's the singular. It helps to replace the pronoun with the noun you want and work down to the pronoun from there. "If religion is the opiate of the masses, then rumour is the masses' angel dust." Ergo, you want "their".

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks Maggie and Lea and Unimportant! Their it is :)

The Eighteenth Letter

Registered
Reaction score
Not at all to go against the grain, and 100% percent agree that 'their' is the correct grammatical pronoun to use; it does rob the sentence of a punctuated finish, phonetically speaking.

I would stay with 'its'.

Its not completely grammatically incorrect and it carries a phonetic impact that is worth keeping. Whereas 'their', because of the roll of the tongue, heavies the short phonemes in between 'rumor' and 'angel dust', and ruins the Doppler effect you get with those short phonemes.

Anyway... R

Reactions: Paul Lamb

pdblake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pdblakeauthor.wordpress.com
My brain can't seem to make a decsion with this.

I've got a character contemplating 'rumour' and how it affects people, and at one point, he muses:

'If religion is the opium of the masses, rumour is its angel dust.'

Or should it be...

"If religion is the opium of the masses, rumour is their angel dust."

I just don't know.

Thanks in advance!
How about neither:

'If religion is the opium of the masses, rumour is angel dust.'

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I have to agree with The Eighteenth Letter. It is correct grammatically to use "their" in this case, but I think it's stronger rhetorically to use "its." Remember, we are creative writers; we have license to bend/break the "rules" to achieve our ends.

Nine out of ten of your readers aren't going to know this grammar rule and won't be flummoxed by its "misuse." They're going to know your meaning. If you were writing a term paper or a legal document, it would be good to follow the correct grammar, but in a work of fiction . . .

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with The Eighteenth Letter. It is correct grammatically to use "their" in this case, but I think it's stronger rhetorically to use "its." Remember, we are creative writers; we have license to bend/break the "rules" to achieve our ends.

Nine out of ten of your readers aren't going to know this grammar rule and won't be flummoxed by its "misuse." They're going to know your meaning. If you were writing a term paper or a legal document, it would be good to follow the correct grammar, but in a work of fiction . . .
I don’t agree with this; I don’t find “its” rhetorically pleasing. I only find it confusing! What’s the antecedent? What is “it”? I wouldn’t recommend using “its” here at all.

If “their” doesn’t sound right to you, then consider using the truly parallel construction:

If religion is the opium of the masses, rumor is the angel dust.

:e2coffee:

Arbienti

Registered
Reaction score
Its.
Their, is grammatically correct. But 'its' allows the mind to glide and continue seamlessly.

Reactions: Paul Lamb

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
strong disagreement about "its." That pronoun makes no sense in the context. The meaning of what you are trying to say is "Rumor is the angel dust of the masses." Unless you are referring to "the masses" as it, which is wrong in many ways, "their" is the only possible pronoun. Not just grammatically but also rhetorically -- "its" just turns the sentence into gibberish.

Michel_Cayer

Registered
Reaction score
For me, when I see its in this context, I read it to mean that "If religion is the opium of the masses, rumour is the opium's angel dust." which does not really work.

Because of the sentence structure, I feel that using its or their changes the focus of the comparison to opium or masses.

Reactions: kinokonoronin

ruthlesswhims

Registered
Reaction score
'If religion is the opium of the masses, rumour is angel dust.'
I definitely like this solution best, though I'd be inclined to edit just slightly to

"If religion is the opium of the masses, rumour is THE angel dust."

For me, the parallel the's makes it read smoother

Reactions: Lakey

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't think it's a stretch to read "masses" in this context as singular. It is talking about a unit, a grouping. And there is no noun "mass" that refers to any smaller group of people. Thus the parallel structure can work euphonically (if not pedantically).

The Eighteenth Letter

Registered
Reaction score
It's been interesting to follow this thread, and the two lines of thought that seem to run through it. It touches on something much more fundamental in our individual way of writing.

Let me ask something.

Are you ok with breaking a grammatical rule to enhance the rhythm of the narrative? or, No rule breaking can ever enhance the rhythm of the narrative?

(narrative= wording/phrase/sentence/paragraph/chapter etc)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Are you ok with breaking a grammatical rule to enhance the rhythm of the narrative? or, No rule breaking can ever enhance the rhythm of the narrative?

(narrative= wording/phrase/sentence/paragraph/chapter etc)
Rule breaking in narrative is fine if you can do it effectively. That is, if you are in control of the breakage and do it for deliberate effect. If you're just smashing up rules because you don't care about the damage or don't know you're doing it, that's not ok. That's just sloppy writing.

Grammar rules, of course, don't apply in dialog, or within a first-person or very deep third person narrative voice. But I don't think that's what's under discussion here.

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Let me ask something.

It depends on a lot of things, but speaking generally, and speaking about creative writing (fiction, poetry, CNF, even some feature non-fiction), the so-called "rules" of grammar are more guidelines than laws. As the writer Emma Darwin has said, grammar is a tool, not a rule.

Look carefully as you read others and you'll see all sorts of rule breaking for stylistic effect. Sentence fragments. Comma splices. Split infinitives. Subject/verb disagreements. I see this all of the time, especially by the Pulitzer and Booker Prize winners. (You can say they may do this because they are great, but I think they are great because they do this. That is, they reach beyond the norm.) Look at Jose Saramago. He won the Nobel Prize yet I don't think he's ever met a punctuation mark he liked. Iris Murdoch didn't hesitate to splice with commas. Buckle up when you read Philip Roth because his stylistic flourishes are a wild ride sometimes. The narrative voice in Junot Diaz's novels is one-of-a-kind, but the language and culture are richer because of it.

As benbenbari said, the rule breaking has to work. It can't be gratuitous. It has to be done knowingly and/or consistently and/or with stylistic power and effect. It has to leave the reader with a punch or an insight that is sufficient to "forgive" the grammar violation. (Though, in my experience, most readers don't recognize broken grammar rules because they don't even know the rules as well as writers tend to.)

That said, a person who writes poorly because they lack a grasp of basic grammar is not yet ready to be a writer. I think this comes from a lack of critical reading (rather than a study of grammar books).

As I've said in this forum before, we are creative writers. We're not writing term papers or legal briefs. We have the privilege and even the obligation to evolve the language.

Last edited:

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The key is clarity, eh. Clarity trumps all... right? That's why we have grammar in the first place.

In the novel, if you are sacrificing clarity for the sake of how it sounds/reads -- probably not the right thing to do.

It's a much better strategy to re-jig the sentence so you have better flow/sound AND it's clear, even if you break grammar rules.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, definitely "their". It's would be referring to "religion" in that sentence since it's the singular. It helps to replace the pronoun with the noun you want and work down to the pronoun from there. "If religion is the opiate of the masses, then rumour is the masses' angel dust." Ergo, you want "their".
This ^. Seems to me other answers are making a simple issue complicated.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
There are some cases where something can be seen as either singular or plural. For example:

If religion is the opium of the people, rumour is its angel dust.
If religion is the opium of the people, rumour is their angel dust.

- people can be thought of as singular (a people) or plural (one person, many people)
(note: this is from a grammar point of view - one or the other may work better stylistically)

But:

If religion is the opium of the masses, rumour is their angel dust.

- has to be plural, because masses is a plural either way - grammatically it's a plural (mass, masses) and it's referring to a group of people

Lee McClellan

Registered
Reaction score
If this were a block of pure exposition it should be accurate grammatically. No question.

Since it seems to be a thought or possibly a piece of dialogue, from my point or view, you have some leeway. How would this character speak. What's their level of education, social status and intelligence.

In dialogue it's reasonable a peasant in the middle ages might say/think. "I don't know nothing about that." While the king of the realm arguing a trade agreement with a foreign dignitary would not sound that way.

Not sure it's accurate but I attempt to write non dialogue grammatically correct. Dialogue based on how the character would talk. And .... their internal dialogue or thoughts as half way in between.