Using posters comments in responses

Arbienti

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed when commenting/critiquing another's post, some responders post sections of what they say in neat boxes to respond to a particular section of what the person has said. How does that work? Can someone direct me to a thread or give instructions? I don't know what this method is called, so if it is out there already, could someone tell me what it is called? I'd like to try using it.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I've noticed when commenting/critiquing another's post, some responders post sections of what they say in neat boxes to respond to a particular section of what the person has said. How does that work? Can someone direct me to a thread or give instructions? I don't know what this method is called, so if it is out there already, could someone tell me what it is called? I'd like to try using it.
Sounds like you're wondering about quoting! It's really simple. If you want a whole text box like this, you can just click reply in the lower right, next t the Like button and it'll quote the whole post.

You can quote multiple people in one reply by clicking "reply" on each post you want to quote.
if it is out there already, could someone tell me what it is called?
If you just want a specific part like this, you can highlight the specific text you want. A little box should appear under it also reading "reply". Click it and it'll add your selected text into a quote.

If you want to make your own quote, you can click the three ...s on top of each other at the top of the text box and select the " icon, which will give you an empty textbox to play with.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good explanation there--and if you want to practice, this is the place!

Reactions: Arbienti

Arbienti

Registered
Reaction score
If you just want a specific part like this, you can highlight the specific text you want. A little box should appear under it also reading "reply". Click it and it'll add your selected text into a quote.
That's great! Thank you for your explanation.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed when commenting/critiquing another's post, some responders post sections of what they say in neat boxes to respond to a particular section of what the person has said. How does that work?
When you see a break like this with text in between, it's because enter was hit within the quote box. This is helpful for making notes between sections of text. I use it a lot on SYW.
Can someone direct me to a thread or give instructions? I don't know what this method is called, so if it is out there already, could someone tell me what it is called?
I'd like to try using it.
Looks like you got the hang of it!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Granted, I mostly AW on my phone, but I did not know this

Reactions: Maggie Maxwell

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Did that work or didn't it?
I don't think it did the way you intended if you were trying to make your own quote but to be entirely honest, own-quotes are probably the least used on the forum. It's useful for quoting things from off-site like articles, but the majority of quoting is just with the reply function.

Ah, but one more thing for own-quotes, you can manually do them by typing [ QUOTE] and [ /QUOTE] around your text without the space between the bracket and Q

It does exactly the same thing as the ... button basically