Questions about the New Forum Software

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm. I didn't see a button like that - but - I clicked that 'AW Drift' and chose 'Xenforo'; when I resized the text flowed all the way to the right side. :)
There are three "skins" or templates currently installed.

XenForo
AW Drift
AW Drift Dark

You can chose them from the bottom of the forum page (the specific location depends on the template) or from your Profile. Click on your your avatar on the top right, then Preferences then Style.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
How does one delete a post one is working on and doesn't want to finish after all, or that one has posted and realizes isn't helpful or relevant anymore?

I liked the old feature where it still acknowledged the deletion and you could put a reason for it if you wanted.

I don't see a delete button anywhere, and deleting the content of the post or backing up out of the thread leaves the unposted response there if you return later. It's great that half written posts aren't lost if you accidentally back up out of a thread or something, but how does one delete something if they really mean to?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
How does one delete a post one is working on and doesn't want to finish after all, or that one has posted and realizes isn't helpful or relevant anymore?

I liked the old feature where it still acknowledged the deletion and you could put a reason for it if you wanted.

I don't see a delete button anywhere, and deleting the content of the post or backing up out of the thread leaves the unposted response there if you return later. It's great that half written posts aren't lost if you accidentally back up out of a thread or something, but how does one delete something if they really mean to?
You couldn't delete with the old software.

Just as with this software, if you have posted you can use the edit option and replace the text with something else, like a smiley.

If you haven't posted, there's no delete option because you haven't posted; you can use your backspace/delete key, or select the text and press the delete key.

Reactions: dickson

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
You couldn't delete with the old software.

Just as with this software, if you have posted you can use the edit option and replace the text with something else, like a smiley.

If you haven't posted, there's no delete option because you haven't posted; you can use your backspace/delete key, or select the text and press the delete key.
I've done that, but then the empty reply box to that specific post in the thread is still there, which can be an issue if I wanted to reply to a different post instead or if the reply got bugged or had some inappropriate formatting or something and couldn't post. Even typing something entirely new in the box retains the bug, though sometimes relogging helps. But could that create problems too?

I remember the old software kept a sort of placeholder for comments "deleted" after they'd been posted, where people could indicate why they'd deleted in a comment subheading or something.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've done that, but then the empty reply box to that specific post in the thread is still there, which can be an issue if I wanted to reply to a different post instead or if the reply got bugged or had some inappropriate formatting or something and couldn't post.

I'm able to remove the empty reply box on Mac OS Safari - I use command-A (select all) and then hit delete. Maybe this is a browser-specific issue?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Is there no longer an easy way to search a specific thread? VB had that option as a dropdown in the thread submenu.

Edit: I found it. Clicking the magnifying glass on the far right of the menu gives you a search bar. Clicking the Settings (gear) icon gives the option to search
* Everywhere
* Threads
* This Forum
* This Thread

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I've done that, but then the empty reply box to that specific post in the thread is still there, which can be an issue if I wanted to reply to a different post instead or if the reply got bugged or had some inappropriate formatting or something and couldn't post. Even typing something entirely new in the box retains the bug, though sometimes relogging helps. But could that create problems too?
If you delete all your text (including any quoted text), click the rightmost vertical ellipsis at the top of the edit box, then click the little disk icon, you will see a “delete draft” option. This removes your saved draft reply.

Don’t ask me how I found this! I use it a lot.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
The answer to this is probably 'no', but is there any way to get people's post counts to show with the XenForo skin? I'd noticed they were missing for a while, but I've only just realised it was the skin I'm using what done it!

(Yes, I could simply switch to AW Drift which does show this info, but XenForo is a little closer visually to the old AW, and my poor familiarity loving heart copes with it better!)

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
The answer to this is probably 'no', but is there any way to get people's post counts to show with the XenForo skin? I'd noticed they were missing for a while, but I've only just realised it was the skin I'm using what done it!

(Yes, I could simply switch to AW Drift which does show this info, but XenForo is a little closer visually to the old AW, and my poor familiarity loving heart copes with it better!)
If you hover over a user's name it'll show a box with "Messages" and that's the total post count. I think this works on all the themes, too. At the very least, I'm using XenForo, for mostly the same reasons, and it works in this one.

Clocking on "Messages" will open up the full posting history, similar to old AW.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
If you hover over a user's name it'll show a box with "Messages" and that's the total post count. I think this works on all the themes, too. At the very least, I'm using XenForo, for mostly the same reasons, and it works in this one.

Clocking on "Messages" will open up the full posting history, similar to old AW.
Ah! Thanks, VBB!! Much appreciated!

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Hi @AW Admin,

Has the XenForo theme been retired? My interface randomly switched back to Drift and the XenForo option is no longer available when I click on the theme button.

I totally understand if it's gone for a reason. Just curious whether that's the case or if I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Axiom Witch

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is where I should post issues or not, but I'm using the AW Drift Dark theme, and it has two problems: Not sure if this is where I should post issues or not, but I'm using the AW Drift Dark theme, and it has two problems:

First: Link colors are very dark against the black background. Second: The header banner is still bright white, but the text on it turns white, making it unreadable.

Last edited:

ElaineB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elaineburnes.com
Anyone else had trouble getting on AW earlier today (also the 19th)? I've gotten error messages, but there's been no announcement of the site being down, so maybe just me?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I think everybody is, off and on.

If you go to make a post and it seems like it's just sitting there, don't keep hitting "post reply" (like I did!) because you'll end up with duplicate posts. They're just taking a few minutes to go through. In my experience, write the post, hit post reply, go off and make a cup of tea, come back, and refresh the forum. It'll probably have posted. (If not, lather rinse repeat.)

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. The forum was very slow this morning and I kept getting a cloudflare 520 error page so gave up. Popped back earlier this evening and just got a blank screen saying 'An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.'

It was the same last Sunday too. Wondering if its a regular maintenance thing? Do we need to stay away at certain times?

Reactions: Maryn

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Another "couldn't get in earlier today", here. ("Today" being February 26, Pacific time zone.)

Same pattern as last week(?): some sporadic posting/duplicate issues, then down the next day. It's different from the regular nightly slowdown I got used to (every evening, round about 7:30ish, 8:30ish, the boards are unresponsive for a while for me, then it clears up).

I try to stay away for a while when that happens, head over to Discord or do other things.

Reactions: CWNitz

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Yep, I think everybody is, off and on.

If you go to make a post and it seems like it's just sitting there, don't keep hitting "post reply" (like I did!) because you'll end up with duplicate posts. They're just taking a few minutes to go through. In my experience, write the post, hit post reply, go off and make a cup of tea, come back, and refresh the forum. It'll probably have posted. (If not, lather rinse repeat.)
Note that if it's hanging, it might not be a bad idea to copy the post and paste it into Word or Notepad to save it, in case the gremlins eat the original post.