So what's for dinner?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight will be something like ice cream, cuz it's predicted to be like 90 degrees F today.

Reactions: mrsmig

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, the lasagna turned out pretty good. Hubby and I both agreed it was a lot different from my Mom's, and very similar to his Mom's. He thought the amount of ricotta was perfect, and I would have preferred about half as much. And now I have leftover ricotta. I think next weekend I'll make regular pasta with meat sauce and just put globs of ricotta on his portion.

Not anything I'll make again anytime soon, and at age 72 maybe never again. But we're having it again tonight, and I have two more meals worth in the freezer.

MM

Reactions: Introversion

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Macaroni with a lot of butter. Because the weather is lousy and a bowl of buttered macaroni is comfort.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's blazing hot today (I'm sitting in my office with door open, window open, and a fan blowing across a box full of ice). But we are having friends over for dinner, so I have instructed my partner to turn on the a/c, and I am making tandoori chicken, saag paneer, spiced meatballs, and rice, and reheating some of my freezer stash of lamb curry and veg curry. Before our friends leave the house I will ply them with bucketloads of my excess beans and tomatoes, which are accumulating in truly frightening quantities.

Reactions: mrsmig

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had my tri-monthly diabetic check late this afternoon. I dropped weight and my A1C number, while slightly higher, was still not bad.

So I made oatmeal for dinner. I used whole milk, diced dried apples, cinnamon and dark brown sugar. Take that, blood sugar! Yum.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's blazing hot today (I'm sitting in my office with door open, window open, and a fan blowing across a box full of ice). But we are having friends over for dinner, so I have instructed my partner to turn on the a/c, and I am making tandoori chicken, saag paneer, spiced meatballs, and rice, and reheating some of my freezer stash of lamb curry and veg curry. Before our friends leave the house I will ply them with bucketloads of my excess beans and tomatoes, which are accumulating in truly frightening quantities.
I totes forgot to make the saag paneer, but it was all good regardless and I sent them home with leftovers. And a massive basket of veg, including at least a kilo of beans and about thirty tomatoes. Happiness all round.

HWigton

Wreaking Ginger-vengence
Registered
Reaction score
@Unimportant I hope you don't mind that I'm living vicariously through your cooking descriptions, it all sounds so delicious! I wouldn't be able to eat a bite of it though, having a bit of an easily triggered tum as I've gotten on in years--even paprika is too much for me anymore :( But having sampled and cooked all of the dishes you mentioned, albeit in the far past, I'm wafting around the room on the currents of spices I imagine floating through the air as you're stirring up all those delectable dishes :D

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Unimportant I hope you don't mind that I'm living vicariously through your cooking descriptions, it all sounds so delicious! I wouldn't be able to eat a bite of it though, having a bit of an easily triggered tum as I've gotten on in years--even paprika is too much for me anymore :( But having sampled and cooked all of the dishes you mentioned, albeit in the far past, I'm wafting around the room on the currents of spices I imagine floating through the air as you're stirring up all those delectable dishes :D
thanks!

Today will be unspiced: bread and refrigerator soup. Come by about six if you're hungry :D

Soup: leftover cooked chicken and condensed homemade stock from the freezer; and diced whatever's-in-the-fridge home garden produce: today it's carrots, celery, potato, beans, peas, and zucchini/courgette. I've got boatloads of fresh tomato but I think that might be weird in chicken soup. If the wind and rain let up I'll go fetch a couple of bay leaves, but don't count on it as I'm being a weather-weenie today.

Depending on which batch of bread rises in time, it'll be either plain white-bread rolls or zucch-herb rolls (basic white bread recipe but with added yoghurt, grated zucchini, and minced fresh thyme, marjoram, onion chives, garlic chives, and rosemary).

I'm cooking down some blackberries for a compote. We have a gorgeous thornless vine that is very productive but unfortunately the berries, though huge and perfect looking, are too tart to eat until they actually fall off the vine -- which obviously means we never find them. So today I picked a bunch of them and have them in a little pot with some of our honey. They should be good over ice cream. Or....something? Anyone got ideas?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a load of chicken backs and feet defrosting and the weather is yuck, so this afternoon will see the birth of a pot of lovely chicken stock. If my chicken thighs defrost in time, I'll be having chicken soup for dinner tonight. If not, then tomorrow. The question is, chicken soup with rice, or orzo, or egg noodles? Decisions...

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shepherd's pie: layered beef mince and onion, corn, and mashed potatoes. My energy levels aren't up for much more.

Also I'm so full from gobbing peaches straight off the tree that I may not be able to eat much come tea time!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Made a lasagna, but for tomorrow‘s lunch visit from Adult Daughter. (Assembled now, but is sitting the fridge until tomorrow.)

Have sliced lemons and have them sitting in sugar for Shaker lemon pie. That needs to marinate overnight; it’s for tomorrow‘s dinner. Haven’t made this recipe before, but it sounds interesting.

Next up tonight: Cook the custard filling for coconut cream pie; I’ll store the baked shell with custardin the fridge overnight, and whip cream and finish assemble it for Adult Daughter lunch. Have made this recipe before; it is good.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight is split pea soup I made yesterday, grilled cheese sandwiches with Wisconsin Colby on 12-grain bread. I'm stuffed just thinking about it. There will be lots of soup left. I find it too heavy for lunch, so maybe as part of dinner later this week?

Maryn, whose tummy is delicate

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
Tonight is split pea soup I made yesterday, grilled cheese sandwiches with Wisconsin Colby on 12-grain bread. I'm stuffed just thinking about it. There will be lots of soup left. I find it too heavy for lunch, so maybe as part of dinner later this week?

Maryn, whose tummy is delicate
Oh, what a great idea! I'm making split peas soup tomorrow. Just need smoked sausage. And carrots. And cream.

And, uh, split peas.

• Haha
Reactions: Unimportant

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lasagna and salad for tonight. I'll need to get it started fairly soon-ish to make the tomato sauce from my glut of ripe heritage tomatoes, but at least I don't have to make the pasta. I froze some sheets the last time I made pasta, so I just had to nip them out of the freezer.

Happily there will for sure be enough lasagna left over for at least one weeknight meal this week. But since I'm working from home most of the time, meal planning is a lot easier now. I don't have to come up with five different meals that I can make within half an hour of getting home from work.

I've got bread dough and bagel dough rising, so most of my afternoon will be spent in the kitchen.

Reactions: CWNitz and Maryn

Pyrephox

Registered
Reaction score
Today's dinner was porterhouse steak and sauteed veggies that needed to be used before they went bad. Turned out quite nicely! I do wish that I had some ice cream for dessert, but alas, I forgot to pick it up while I was out.

Reactions: Maryn

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Masoor dal tadka is becoming a favorite around here. This isn't the exact recipe I use, since I have the print cookbook, but I use one cup of red lentils plus 1/2 cup of yellow lentils (moong dal), only 2 cloves of garlic, and a combo of mustard and onion seeds instead of the curry powder, cumin and coriander. I also leave out the tomatoes because tomatoes are vile (Scientific name: Evil redfruitius).

Autumn Leaves

Registered
Reaction score
Oven-baked chicken breast fillet with spices, a 50/50 mayonnaise/sour cream mix, tomatoes, and cheese slices. My mother's recipe and a great favorite of mine.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gah. Between ripping out tomato plants, weeding, planting out brassica seedlings, making bread, making bagels, critting a story, skyping with the ailing geriatric mothership, and skyping with responsible sibling about the mothership, the day got away on me. Lasagna has been delayed till tomorrow.

Tonight will be BLT sammies.

This would be a sad indictment on my wifeyness, but bacon makes up for a multitude of sins.

ETA, not my finest moment, though. Bread straight out of the oven is fiendishly difficult to slice and does not make ideal sammies. Still, bacon. Tea was okay but not brilliant, especially since we had dinnus interruptus in the form of our #@$&@# dog catching and trying to kill an adolescent chook.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gah. Between ripping out tomato plants, weeding, planting out brassica seedlings, making bread, making bagels, critting a story, skyping with the ailing geriatric mothership, and skyping with responsible sibling about the mothership, the day got away on me. Lasagna has been delayed till tomorrow.

Tonight will be BLT sammies.

This would be a sad indictment on my wifeyness, but bacon makes up for a multitude of sins.

ETA, not my finest moment, though. Bread straight out of the oven is fiendishly difficult to slice and does not make ideal sammies. Still, bacon. Tea was okay but not brilliant, especially since we had dinnus interruptus in the form of our #@$&@# dog catching and trying to kill an adolescent chook.
I want a BLT so much now. Alas, fresh-picked tomatoes are several months into my future, and store-bought are awful.

::dreaming of tomatoes 🍅::

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Ox liver? Calf? Lamb? Chicken?
Beef. Hubby's brother went in on a quarter of a cow and the liver was included. My father-in-law asked me to cook with it.

He said I cooked liver better than his mother -- and she was a terrific cook. <3

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made a corned beef and cabbage in my pressure cooker Monday. Discovered that my mother overemphasized the "boil" in boiled dinner. Bonus: I hated cabbage as a kid because she over cooked it.

We had Shakshouka with Lavash on Tuesday and shockingly everyone loved it.

I did a honey mustard glazed pork loin for dinner tonight. Put out some of the dilly beans (plain and habenero) that we put up from DHs garden last summer along with some apple rhubarb chutney I made last year and some broccoli and steak fries.