Status
Not open for further replies.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to all Weekend Updaters, past, present and future. Yes, it's a new thread for a new year! A little late but here nonetheless.

To refresh for those long-time Progress Reporters and to clarify for all the new ones -- we're here to help you achieve your goals by being the place where you're accountable, being a cheering section, the shoulder to cry on, the folks who say those people who rejected you are fools, FOOLS, and they'll rue the day, the folks who cheer wildly when you get an acceptance, and so on.

The "Rules" for posting here are pretty simple.

1. You don't have to write humor to post here -- any writer writing in any or all genres can post here. But you can be funny if you want. We're all over the funny.

2. Every weekend, starting on Friday and ending on Sunday, we post the progress we've made with our various writing careers. This includes whatever you consider part of your career -- writing, editing, submitting, critiquing, promotion, brainstorming, research, etc. It's your career, it's up to you.

3. How to report? Give us your word count for the week, your submissions for the week, the number of words you edited during the week, any acceptances garnered, and anything else you did to move your career forward. It's that simple.

4. Since many writers are also artists and musicians, we count art- and music-related progress as well, as long as it's also part of your overall career.

5. The WPR Dominatrix (that's me) hands out virtual prizes and encouragements and so forth. We occasionally have a Guest Dominatrix just because.

6. There are prizes for: The most words written in a week; the most submissions for the week; the most words edited for the week; the first to report each Friday; and the last to come in late (we don't encourage competition for this one!); the exciting news of the week (like acceptances, media coverage, getting paid, etc.)

7. What counts for submissions? Anything where your piece could be rejected. Blogs count for word count, but not for submission, UNLESS your blog can (really and truly) be rejected by someone else other than yourself, aka an actual editor/boss. When posting, be sure to make the distinction for a rejectable blog, so it can count in your submissions tally for the week.

8. Remember that being accountable helps achieve goals. We encourage updates even when someone hasn't done anything or anything much. The act of reporting IS an important step, and we want to hear from you, even if it's to say you achieved squat for the week.

9. Yes, if you drift away and come back there are no penalties. This is a support thread, not your job or your mom. Therefore, it's up to you how frequently you update. Studies have shown that being accountable is a huge factor in success (seriously, and we are not making this up), but it's all down to you, and we will not be down ON you.

Still confused about how it works? Check out the 2021 thread for examples.

Welcome to 2022, let's make this the Year of the Updaters and really achieve those career goals!

Reactions: CMEcat

colinomahoney

Registered
Reaction score
This week was mostly day job stuff, but I did manage to start work on, and finish, an outline for a 5 page comic. The comic is for an anthology I successfully pitched for (Wooh!). The story is based on history and facts and stuff, so putting together the outline involved a whole bunch of research, so its slow going. Very happy to be over the hump of research, though, so I can get into the more fun stuff next week.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This week was mostly day job stuff, but I did manage to start work on, and finish, an outline for a 5 page comic. The comic is for an anthology I successfully pitched for (Wooh!). The story is based on history and facts and stuff, so putting together the outline involved a whole bunch of research, so its slow going. Very happy to be over the hump of research, though, so I can get into the more fun stuff next week.
Welcome to the WPR, colinomahoney

Nanner-:banana::banana::banana:

Research-:idea::idea::idea:

Outline-:fistpump:fistpump:fistpump

Reactions: colinomahoney

Lea123

Reliably forgetful
Registered
Reaction score
I still live the day job life. I have a document with steps on it; it's quite satisfying to look back at everything crossed off. Sometimes, I feel I'm getting nowhere but I know it's slow progress. The rewrite of the beginning has taken up December and a good chunk of January thanks to the Christmas 'pause' and covid.

At the moment, I'm on this section:

THIRD DRAFT:
- Rewrite beginning.
- Go though and note / comb out any repetition or null points.
- Finish knitting 3rd draft together (currently 1/2 way through).
- Read through 3rd draft, one last continuity / timeline check.
- Out of sync punctuation / grammar check.
BETA READERS:
- Slowly die inside as they tear me to shreds.

By next weekend, I want to be 1/4 way through the knit together. (Point 3 and 4 sort of run side by side).

colinomahoney

Registered
Reaction score
I love a good list! Honestly, I completely live off lists, I can't function any other way. Daily lists, weekly lists, goals, steps.
It is a great way to keep organised, keep on top of work, and getting to cross things off as you hit goals is very satisfying.

Reactions: Lea123

Lea123

Reliably forgetful
Registered
Reaction score
I love a good list! Honestly, I completely live off lists, I can't function any other way. Daily lists, weekly lists, goals, steps.
It is a great way to keep organised, keep on top of work, and getting to cross things off as you hit goals is very satisfying.
Ive still got covid brain fog so I’m relying on my lists more than ever. 😂 Someatimes, I add things I’ve already done to lists so I can cross more off 🥲

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still live the day job life. I have a document with steps on it; it's quite satisfying to look back at everything crossed off. Sometimes, I feel I'm getting nowhere but I know it's slow progress. The rewrite of the beginning has taken up December and a good chunk of January thanks to the Christmas 'pause' and covid.

At the moment, I'm on this section:

THIRD DRAFT:
- Rewrite beginning.
- Go though and note / comb out any repetition or null points.
- Finish knitting 3rd draft together (currently 1/2 way through).
- Read through 3rd draft, one last continuity / timeline check.
- Out of sync punctuation / grammar check.
BETA READERS:
- Slowly die inside as they tear me to shreds.

By next weekend, I want to be 1/4 way through the knit together. (Point 3 and 4 sort of run side by side).
Welcome to the WPR Lea123

Editing-:hooray::hooray::hooray:

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Week ending 1/29 was 24,771 words, which is substantially down from the week before but still a good number. The new WIP is a lot slower (so I have a downturn over the last two days), and if progress remains middling I'll only hit about 17.5k next week (although I'd like to be over 21k).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Week ending 1/29 was 24,771 words, which is substantially down from the week before but still a good number. The new WIP is a lot slower (so I have a downturn over the last two days), and if progress remains middling I'll only hit about 17.5k next week (although I'd like to be over 21k).
24771 words :Clap::Clap::Clap:

colinomahoney

Registered
Reaction score
Ive still got covid brain fog so I’m relying on my lists more than ever. 😂 Someatimes, I add things I’ve already done to lists so I can cross more off 🥲
Oof. Sorry to hear about the Covid brain fog. You seem to be doing well with your writing, though. Third draft is really impressive!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm still on time.

Reporting in....

991 words written
100 pages edited
Squeaked it in.

900 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

100 pages edited-:hooray::hooray::hooray:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awards For This Week’s Awesomeness

NANNER-colinomahoney

:banana::banana::banana:

Qgq1YRT.jpg

WORD COUNT-Nether 24,771

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

HzMTwjO.jpg

WORDS EDITED-Saoirse 100 pages

:e2writer::e2writer::e2writer:

yRao0jS.jpg

RESEARCH- colinomahoney

:Hammer::Hammer::Hammer:

UDLJLsw.jpg

OUTLINE- colinomahoney

:chores:chores:chores

khpu8fV.jpg

colinomahoney

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm the first to check in again? Probably helps I'm based in Ireland, so I'm already wrapping up for the day here.
Took that outline for the short comic story "Milking It" and worked on it until I had a panel by panel breakdown that (more or less) works.
Next week: shaping it into a proper comic script.

Reactions: Meg

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm the first to check in again? Probably helps I'm based in Ireland, so I'm already wrapping up for the day here.
Took that outline for the short comic story "Milking It" and worked on it until I had a panel by panel breakdown that (more or less) works.
Next week: shaping it into a proper comic script.
Nanner-:banana::banana::banana:

Outline-:fistpump:fistpump:fistpump

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Week ending 2/5/22 was 27,486 words drafted

Meg

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday was largely spent helping teen through panic attacks over writing an essay. Wish me some personal time for today!

Lea123

Reliably forgetful
Registered
Reaction score
Conquering Covid brain fog one step at a time. Pretty chuffed with what I've managed considering I've been unwell BUT I did only work two days last week (of the day job) so it'll be interesting to see how the productivity trend looks next weekend.

- 16,602 words written of the WIP.
- Read through five chapters (totaling 6,231 words) and did some grammar editing.
- 2,226 words cut.
- Synopsis drafts completed: 1,200 words, 900 words, 500 words and 200 words.
- Life admin: bathrooms, floors and washing machine deep cleaned.

The knit together has gone far better than I ever anticipated. I'm now 3/4 of the way through.

Aaaand now to faceplant the Sunday roast.
:e2woo:

Reactions: Lisa Henry and Meg

silverlorelei

Registered
Reaction score
I like this forum! I'm new on AW, but I'm glad to be here.

Let's see, this week I've been working on one of my main characters. She's a wonderful person, a fabulous character and I've struggled since the inception of this trilogy (as it looks now) with who she is. That's about 20+ years. I've finally learned about her a lot this past few months, and now I'm fixing the novel to include her personality. She's funny, she's curious, she loves to learn (especially about ANYTHING that's weird, gross, or spooky) and she has a foul mouth (compliments of being captive in a courtesan house as a Healer) and she has a huge failure complex from failing to Heal both her mom and nana. She is also head over heels in love with a former death mage. Wow. After writing this out she looks like she needs some help.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday was largely spent helping teen through panic attacks over writing an essay. Wish me some personal time for today!
Helping someone-:heart::heart::heart:

Reactions: Meg

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Conquering Covid brain fog one step at a time. Pretty chuffed with what I've managed considering I've been unwell BUT I did only work two days last week (of the day job) so it'll be interesting to see how the productivity trend looks next weekend.

- 16,602 words written of the WIP.
- Read through five chapters (totaling 6,231 words) and did some grammar editing.
- 2,226 words cut.
- Synopsis drafts completed: 1,200 words, 900 words, 500 words and 200 words.
- Life admin: bathrooms, floors and washing machine deep cleaned.

The knit together has gone far better than I ever anticipated. I'm now 3/4 of the way through.

Aaaand now to faceplant the Sunday roast.
:e2woo:
19,202 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

5 chapters edited-:hooray::hooray::hooray:

cleaning-:greenie:greenie:greenie

Status
Not open for further replies.