The New W1S1 High Tea Bar and Lounge (with extra-comfy sofas)

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m working on finishing up my story that I intend to submit to the Shattering the Glass Slipper anthology from Zombies Need Brains. Deadline is this Friday, New Year’s Eve. I hope I can get it into submission-worthy shape by then.

Also, I submitted a batch of poems a few days ago and just found a typo in one of them. :e2smack:Hate when that happens.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Oh, and, 600+ words tonight via a livestream createalong. I'm having to keep a lid on the infernal editor a good bit, but I do like where this one is going.
I hope you're still keeping that infernal editor at bay!
Editing is the longest part of writing for me. I usually have six or seven edits before I send a draft out for critique/ bet readers.
That's a good thing. IMO, three-quarters of crafting a story is actually editing.

There are some very rare writerly beasts who can write publishable first draft but they still edit, too (at least the ones I've met), even if it's less than the rest of us mortals.
I'm thinking of changing my goal to writing one story a week (or more), but only subbing once a month. Its a lot easier to vomit out a first draft than create a finished product.
Anytime you need to change your goal up, do so. W1S1 is long-term so regular adjustments are all good.
I’m working on finishing up my story that I intend to submit to the Shattering the Glass Slipper anthology from Zombies Need Brains. Deadline is this Friday, New Year’s Eve. I hope I can get it into submission-worthy shape by then.
Go, go, go!:e2cheer: :Trophy: :box:
Also, I submitted a batch of poems a few days ago and just found a typo in one of them. :e2smack:Hate when that happens.
D'oh! Hate when that happens!

I've finished my first round of edits on Byte Tanzil and the Case of the Neural Mods! :banana::snoopy: It now weighs in at 7,500 words, more than 3,500 less than I did when I started. Realigned the story plenty too. I'll give it a day or two and then see how it reads. Pretty confident I can get it down to less than 7K without sacrificing anything.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I was trying for Brave New Worlds, but I have accepted that is not going to happen. The story is not going to be written, let alone edited, in time. I hope you have better luck, Alan!

Had a pretty lazy second half of the month (not even reading that much) but that's okay. I did read (skim read) the draft of a novel I finished earlier in the year and while it's still a mess, it's an enjoyable mess. I was worried it was going to be absolute trash.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Editing is the longest part of writing for me. I usually have six or seven edits before I send a draft out for critique/ bet readers.

I'm thinking of changing my goal to writing one story a week (or more), but only subbing once a month. Its a lot easier to vomit out a first draft than create a finished product.

Hope things keep going well.
Welcome! Figuring out process and goals is such a finicky ongoing process.... Whatever keeps you moving forward is good!

Feels like the best way to catch typos sometimes is to hit Send.
Four days left, go story go!
I hope you're still keeping that infernal editor at bay!
That's an ongoing battle, but the lid is mostly staying on for the moment. Still an agonizingly slow process sometimes, but progress is happening.

This year's Sisyphus prompt looks promising -- almost 400 words written and I have a pretty good idea of the shape of the story and a couple of vivid characters. This one looks like it'll be fun.

The never-ending revision of Unwish is so close to done -- 700 words from the end (out of 4800), but I don't think the current version sticks the landing, so that'll still take some thinking through.

My other story-swap story (Ouroboros Superhighway) is due on NYE, but I'm declaring that one done; anything more at this point would just be comma-swapping. I can almost see the shape of a sequel, but I don't have the heart of it yet. This is my first time doing a swap with this group, so that'll be a new kind of interesting.

Still haven't gotten back on the submitting bandwagon. We got the last of the belated-Christmas packages ready to mail today, so maybe later this week?
I've finished my first round of edits on Byte Tanzil and the Case of the Neural Mods! :banana::snoopy: It now weighs in at 7,500 words, more than 3,500 less than I did when I started. Realigned the story plenty too. I'll give it a day or two and then see how it reads. Pretty confident I can get it down to less than 7K without sacrificing anything.
Awesome! It's amazing sometimes how much a story can really focus down in revision.
I was trying for Brave New Worlds, but I have accepted that is not going to happen. The story is not going to be written, let alone edited, in time. I hope you have better luck, Alan!

Had a pretty lazy second half of the month (not even reading that much) but that's okay. I did read (skim read) the draft of a novel I finished earlier in the year and while it's still a mess, it's an enjoyable mess. I was worried it was going to be absolute trash.
Lazy times are essential sometimes. And yay enjoyable mess!

Reactions: Tamlyn

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
x2 on the yay for enjoyable messes!
This year's Sisyphus prompt looks promising -- almost 400 words written and I have a pretty good idea of the shape of the story and a couple of vivid characters. This one looks like it'll be fun.

The never-ending revision of Unwish is so close to done -- 700 words from the end (out of 4800), but I don't think the current version sticks the landing, so that'll still take some thinking through.

My other story-swap story (Ouroboros Superhighway) is due on NYE, but I'm declaring that one done; anything more at this point would just be comma-swapping. I can almost see the shape of a sequel, but I don't have the heart of it yet. This is my first time doing a swap with this group, so that'll be a new kind of interesting.
Oooh - three stories at once! Very noice!
Awesome! It's amazing sometimes how much a story can really focus down in revision.
Yeah. I cut several elements that I thought were fun but superfluous. Maybe I can use them in other Byte Tanzil stories :D

I'm about to do a little bit of drafting on one of the other shortie WIPs. 25 minute run at it because that's how I roll now :ROFLMAO:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh - three stories at once! Very noice!
Eh, there are at least three others in process, if “in process” means “figure out what’s not working.” Having options can help to get around those stuck places or Resistance sometimes. (Of course other times — like now — it means I have to take time to decide which one to work on. Which would also be why there are dice on my desk. Brains are weird, or at least mine is….)

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to do a little bit of drafting on one of the other shortie WIPs. 25 minute run at it because that's how I roll now :ROFLMAO:
Now I'm just picturing rolling tomatoes...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Eh, there are at least three others in process, if “in process” means “figure out what’s not working.” Having options can help to get around those stuck places or Resistance sometimes. (Of course other times — like now — it means I have to take time to decide which one to work on. Which would also be why there are dice on my desk. Brains are weird, or at least mine is….)
Well, six stories is the exact right amount for a six-sided die...
Now I'm just picturing rolling tomatoes...
:e2tomato::e2tomato: Closest emoji we've got to a rolling tomato
:TheWave:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The story for the Shattering the Glass Slipper anthology is now at 2500 words. This week I’ve been polishing my previously written words, filling in details, and adding new material. I’m pretty sure the final draft will be about 3000 words. I missed the deadline for the last few anthologies I wanted to submit to, so I’m excited that I will almost certainly be able to submit this story by Friday.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
The story for the Shattering the Glass Slipper anthology is now at 2500 words. This week I’ve been polishing my previously written words, filling in details, and adding new material. I’m pretty sure the final draft will be about 3000 words. I missed the deadline for the last few anthologies I wanted to submit to, so I’m excited that I will almost certainly be able to submit this story by Friday.
Yay! Get that thing on out there!

I've been chipping away at the current Jazz Healy short again. It's getting there. And is, like pretty much everything I write, loose and long. I often envy the people who write short and can then add stuff if they need to, whereas I, on the other hand... :ROFLMAO:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was feeling extra inspired and motivated to finish this story today. I stayed up late tonight because the words kept coming in a way they haven’t for a long time. I wrote 1700 new words today and finished a complete draft just a few minutes ago. It clocks in at 4200 words. I’ll do one more editing pass in the morning before I submit it.

• Love

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I was feeling extra inspired and motivated to finish this story today. I stayed up late tonight because the words kept coming in a way they haven’t for a long time. I wrote 1700 new words today and finished a complete draft just a few minutes ago. It clocks in at 4200 words. I’ll do one more editing pass in the morning before I submit it.
:TheWave: :banana: :partyguy: :partyguy: :Trophy: :Trophy:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Final story length is 4400 words. I submitted it to the anthology with 9 hours to spare. I have no idea whether it’s good enough to be published, but I’m proud of myself for actually making the anthology deadline.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, six stories is the exact right amount for a six-sided die...

:e2tomato::e2tomato: Closest emoji we've got to a rolling tomato
:TheWave:
:D I nearly posted that one. Official new emoji of pomodoros.
Yay! Get that thing on out there!

I've been chipping away at the current Jazz Healy short again. It's getting there. And is, like pretty much everything I write, loose and long. I often envy the people who write short and can then add stuff if they need to, whereas I, on the other hand... :ROFLMAO:
Aww, the rabbit trails are the fun part!
Final story length is 4400 words. I submitted it to the anthology with 9 hours to spare. I have no idea whether it’s good enough to be published, but I’m proud of myself for actually making the anthology deadline.
Awesome! Good for you for getting it done and out there!

Ouroboros is done and turned in for the story swap. I got some last-minute feedback a couple days ago, so there was some final tinkering and a last listen-through today. And I have a new shiny idea, courtesy of my baby niece, so that keeps the total at 6 in progress-ish.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
It's 2022! (Here, at least, and has been for almost an entire day.)

I have made most of my goals for my month in my little goal notebook, but I need to decide on a last couple still. I have fixed up my spreadsheet for the new year. I just haven't done any actual writing yet!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I’m impressed by anyone who can set goals and just work through them. My brain seems to object to the whole idea, or it has lately.

Ouroboros was very well received, which was fun and utterly distracting from any new writing. And I had a sweet little story to read also. I got a little bit of progress made on Sisyphus also.

There’s a cold front blowing in outside which always sounds super-dramatic. Supposed to be a freeze tomorrow, blah.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for Ouroboros!

I am good at setting goals. Sometimes I am less good at working through them >>Did a little bit of writing. I'm cautiously optimistic about the Sisyphus story. And two days into January I haven't failed any goals yet, so yay?

This is normally the time of year I do my annual donation to AW, but they only seem to do the subscription things now and my brain is just confused by the setup (I would be happy to subscribe instead of donating, but the link's just a paypal thing with no mention of subscription? It's probably very obvious and my brain just hurts).

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Nicely done!
:D I nearly posted that one. Official new emoji of pomodoros.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Perfect!
Aww, the rabbit trails are the fun part!
Yeah they are. I just sometimes have moment, y'know... But I do love paring a story down; both the long ones and the short ones.
Ouroboros is done and turned in for the story swap. I got some last-minute feedback a couple days ago, so there was some final tinkering and a last listen-through today. And I have a new shiny idea, courtesy of my baby niece, so that keeps the total at 6 in progress-ish.
Noice, noice!
I have made most of my goals for my month in my little goal notebook, but I need to decide on a last couple still. I have fixed up my spreadsheet for the new year. I just haven't done any actual writing yet!
Awesome, and super-organized!
Ouroboros was very well received, which was fun and utterly distracting from any new writing. And I had a sweet little story to read also. I got a little bit of progress made on Sisyphus also.
:Trophy: :Trophy:
There’s a cold front blowing in outside which always sounds super-dramatic. Supposed to be a freeze tomorrow, blah.
In my part of the world, it's been hot. By our standards, that is. Was around 30 degrees Celsius yesterday, which is sweltering for New Zealand.
>>Did a little bit of writing. I'm cautiously optimistic about the Sisyphus story. And two days into January I haven't failed any goals yet, so yay?
:Trophy: :Trophy:
This is normally the time of year I do my annual donation to AW, but they only seem to do the subscription things now and my brain is just confused by the setup (I would be happy to subscribe instead of donating, but the link's just a paypal thing with no mention of subscription? It's probably very obvious and my brain just hurts).
Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's still a one-off amount of your choosing. I see an option on the PayPal page to make it a monthly donation but the box is unticked by default. The FAQ was last modified in June '21 and specifically says that the subscription/donation is not a recurring amount, so you should just be good to do what you usually do :)

ETA: Oh, almost forgot my writing updates. Got an R yesterday but only got the chance to send story back out this morning. It was another 'nice story but not for us' type rejection. The story is now out to its 6th venue. I've been working on the current Jazz Healy short (though no writing over the last 2 days), but will swing back around to another edit of the Byte Tanzil story this week. This edit is just about tightening as I'm happy with the story (well, I am right now, but we'll see how happy I am when I get the surgical tools out again...), and hopefully I'll be happy enough to send it out by the end of the week. Whether it's this week or next (or the week after), this will be my S1 for January :D

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
In my part of the world, it's been hot. By our standards, that is. Was around 30 degrees Celsius yesterday, which is sweltering for New Zealand.
We were close to that last week. (Winter in Texas...) Apparently this was our weekend for actual winter. Back to sunny and warm in a few days.
ETA: Oh, almost forgot my writing updates. Got an R yesterday but only got the chance to send story back out this morning. It was another 'nice story but not for us' type rejection. The story is now out to its 6th venue.
Go story go!
I've been working on the current Jazz Healy short (though no writing over the last 2 days), but will swing back around to another edit of the Byte Tanzil story this week. This edit is just about tightening as I'm happy with the story (well, I am right now, but we'll see how happy I am when I get the surgical tools out again...),
I hate that feeling...when I like the story but I can't really trust it yet because who knows what the story gnomes are in there breaking. Still, progress!

Nibbling away at my Sisyphus story. This one is both entirely too much fun and kinda messing with my head for redacted prompt reasons, so it's slow going. Nice in-between-tasks break from the day job, though.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's still a one-off amount of your choosing. I see an option on the PayPal page to make it a monthly donation but the box is unticked by default. The FAQ was last modified in June '21 and specifically says that the subscription/donation is not a recurring amount, so you should just be good to do what you usually do
Thanks, Izz!

:( on the rejection.

Nibbling away at my Sisyphus story. This one is both entirely too much fun and kinda messing with my head for redacted prompt reasons, so it's slow going. Nice in-between-tasks break from the day job, though.

I, too, am nibbling at my Sisyphus story. And possibly also a self-indulgent Sisyphus novel, but I may come to my senses before I get too far into that >>

(I haven't multiquoted since the new forums... I'm pretty sure I fumbled my way to it in the most inefficient way)

Reactions: Izz

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, Sisyphus novel!

I still trip over multiquote every time. The best is when I accidentally delete something out of the quote box into regular text & then can't figure out how to put it back in.

~450 words on Sisyphus! And brain has decided on a theme song/soundtrack. Funny but very distracting.

Reactions: Izz and Tamlyn

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I hate that feeling...when I like the story but I can't really trust it yet because who knows what the story gnomes are in there breaking. Still, progress!
Them story gnomes are the worst!
:partyguy: :partyguy:
I, too, am nibbling at my Sisyphus story. And possibly also a self-indulgent Sisyphus novel, but I may come to my senses before I get too far into that >>
Write all the words!

And yeah, I dig the new way of multi-quoting but I still sometimes get myself confuzzled by it :D
~450 words on Sisyphus! And brain has decided on a theme song/soundtrack. Funny but very distracting.
Random aside, but have you heard The Sound of Silence cover by Disturbed? Might be one of the few times I think the cover is better than the original, and I think the original is pretty darn awesome.

Time for today's pomodoro roundup:
:e2tomato::e2tomato::e2tomato::e2tomato: - 4 spent on novel, 3.1k written, closing in on 92k total
:e2tomato::e2tomato::e2tomato::e2tomato: - 4 spent on second round of Byte Tanzil edits. First 13 pages done, opening reworked again.
:e2tomato:- 1 (maybe 1 1/2) spent on Jazz short. It's about 5K at the moment. I kinda know where it's going but I'm also wishing it'd hurry up and get there, which doesn't bode so well for the story, right? :ROFLMAO:

Might be able to sneak in another one or two if day job stays quiet...

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Random aside, but have you heard The Sound of Silence cover by Disturbed? Might be one of the few times I think the cover is better than the original, and I think the original is pretty darn awesome.
I hadn't, but yeah, wow. He has a great voice for that song.
Time for today's pomodoro roundup:
:e2tomato::e2tomato::e2tomato::e2tomato: - 4 spent on novel, 3.1k written, closing in on 92k total
:e2tomato::e2tomato::e2tomato::e2tomato: - 4 spent on second round of Byte Tanzil edits. First 13 pages done, opening reworked again.
:e2tomato:- 1 (maybe 1 1/2) spent on Jazz short. It's about 5K at the moment. I kinda know where it's going but I'm also wishing it'd hurry up and get there, which doesn't bode so well for the story, right? :ROFLMAO:

Might be able to sneak in another one or two if day job stays quiet...
So many tomatoes! Yeah, wanting it to hurry up might be a pointer for where to cut later. Story just might need to take the long way to get there.

67 words on baby-niece-inspired story tonight. Decided by dice roll, so Sisyphus story and Unwish are still waiting around. And I got called mean for Ouroboros ("because it made me sad"), so authorly smugness is in full effect after that.

(Which I suppose means I need to kick that story out the door, plus the other two currently waiting around... Why does subbing take more brain cells than writing??)

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that the story-with-a-deadline is out there in the slushpile now, today I went back to one of the stories I started last year. I left off at around 2600 words. I had most of the pieces together with bare bones descriptions and dialogue, but I didn’t know how to end the story or how to weave the different scenes together smoothly. Today I worked on the connective tissue, filled out some of the overly sparse sections, and moved the story just a tiny bit closer to the end. Net increase of about 500 words, with word count sitting at almost 3200. There’s one more scene I need to finish (the final one) before I have a full draft. Then I can do a complete beginning-to-end run through before I submit it. I already know where I’m sending it first.

Right now I’m not sure how to count the stories I originally started last year for W1S1 purposes. I guess it depends on how far along the story was when I left off last year. I might just keep track of those ones separately.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I will be counting stories started last year (or, uh, five years ago), but part of that is because I want to cut down on my 'unfinished stories' folder. If I don't count them, then I will probably just not do them. My edit for this month will be one I actually started editing last year then put aside too.

That said, finished my Sisyphus draft. So am officially on:

Drafted stories: 1/12.
Edited stories: 0/12.

Also got off my arse and resubbed a story that had been sitting forlornly since its last rejection. Didn't have much success finding markets for other sitters.