Location Abomination Mortification

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realise the links were active and that google was scraping locations either!

If I click on mine, it takes me to a set of pins representing businesses somewhere in London. Not at all what - or where - I had in mind.
I was about to click on yours, but I see you don't have one anymore. Wise move, IMO.

Reactions: Thecla

Thecla

Imagine a story
Registered
Reaction score
I was about to click on yours, but I see you don't have one anymore. Wise move, IMO.
Cheers. It said 'The House Absolute' (referencing my pseudonym) but some of those businesses looked a bit odd. Better to be a citizen of nowhere.

Edit: PS Thanks for noticing, and for saying that you'd noticed.

Reactions: Holly Green

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I just clicked on mine (Far North Queensland) and I get a map with two obvious pins:

RSL Queensland -- Far Northern Division
I got three pins when I clicked on yours. An insurance broker, a training and consultancy company and the "Bed and Breakfast and Farmstay Association."

Reactions: Elenitsa

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Phew, at least mine takes me to the right place on Google maps.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like there are a lot of parks where you live. Nice. I got 4 pins for those. Also one for Freeman Store and Museum(?) and a highschool.
Nope, those aren't my pins. Had you seen a street address in a residential part I would be more concerned but it looks like it only loads my pins for me (through my Google login) and they're not visible to you (which makes sense).

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Oh my goodness. I just clicked on mine and it took me to Google maps and pinned Multiverse Kitchens, a restaurant in Charlottesville, Virginia. 😲

Now I have to think of a new location. 😂

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness. I just clicked on mine and it took me to Google maps and pinned Multiverse Kitchens, a restaurant in Charlottesville, Virginia
I got a place in LA. Not sure if you changed it or if we have different Google settings. This would be fun if it weren't a privacy concern for some!

Mine puts me, very specifically, in the water between Suquamish and Carkeek Park. I'm going to have to move my buried treasure.

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness. I just clicked on mine and it took me to Google maps and pinned Multiverse Kitchens, a restaurant in Charlottesville, Virginia. 😲

Now I have to think of a new location. 😂
I got,

Café at the End of the Universe​

In LA. They only have a 2.3 star rating though, so not planning coffee consumption there anytime soon...

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I got a place in LA. Not sure if you changed it or if we have different Google settings. This would be fun if it weren't a privacy concern for some!
No, I haven't changed it yet.
I got,

Café at the End of the Universe​

In LA. They only have a 2.3 star rating though, so not planning coffee consumption there anytime soon...

That's wild! I assumed everybody would go to the same location. I wonder what algorithm directed you two to LA and me to Virginia. 🤔

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
Mine puts me, very specifically, in the water between Suquamish and Carkeek Park. I'm going to have to move my buried treasure.
Damn it, if only I had seen that bit before I posted my last post...then I could've suggested that--because we're clearly on the same page--maybe we should arrange a writer's meet up at The Cafe at the End of the Universe...

Then, while you're sitting there waiting for me to arrive, and for the poorly rated waiter to deliver your poorly rated coffee, I would be sneakily rowing my boat, and my metal detector, out to your not-so-secret location...

Muahahaha...

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score

That's wild! I assumed everybody would go to the same location. I wonder what algorithm directed you two to LA and me to Virginia. 🤔
I wanna know what happens if you change your location to;

Take me to your reader

(Love that phrase, makes me chuckle every time I see it!)

Reactions: PastyAlien

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I wanna know what happens if you change your location to;

Take me to your reader
Done! But all I got was:

Google Maps can't find Take me to your reader

I'll be pissed if everyone else gets directed to cool places. :tongue

(Love that phrase, makes me chuckle every time I see it!)
Why thank you. 😁

Reactions: Holly Green

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
Done! But all I got was:

Google Maps can't find Take me to your reader
It is with much disappointment I have to report I got the same.

On the plus side, in terms of Terminator 2 being uncomfortably prophetic, it means google doesn't have an imagination yet...unless of course, google just wants us to think it doesn't have an imagination yet...

• Haha
Reactions: PastyAlien

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Serendipity! Could either of you tell me what the bug is that I have in my garden? It is not a ladybird, because that would be too wonderful. It looks like a ladybird but with an elongated headpart and it has four spots. And I can't find it exactly on the internets.

It eats zucchini leaves. Voraciously. I'm not going to kill it, obviously, but it is in fact a horde, and I'm wondering if I should discourage it. (Which I would do by saying discouraging things to it, not by hurting it.)
Hmmm, the only insect I know of that looks remotely like this that eats zucchini might be a spotted cucumber beetle, but they are yellowish and have more spots than you describe. But my sources are biased toward US garden pests. Perhaps you have a different local variety of cucumber beetle in Australia, or something else entirely. I've often had the frustrating experience of spotting an interesting insect or spider and not being able to find one just like it anywhere online! And then there was that really weird thing one of my students found on her pond water slide that none of my colleagues had ever seen either! Are these new to science? Can I name them after myself (or after that student)?

Wait, is it one of these? Hibiscus harlequin bug. Apparently they are common in Eastern Australia, and they are red with black spots. Not beetles, like ladybirds, but "true bugs," but they are a similar shape. But the article says they prefer plants in the mallow family, and zucchini is a gourd, so Helix's pumpkin beetle it is! These are pretty bugs, though.

My location is "where faults collide" referring to faults in a geological/tectonic plate sense.

Clicking my location link directly, Google maps took me to the San Andreas fault, which isn't bad considering, though I don't actually live right on it and my part of the state is quieter than most tectonically speaking.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com

It may be based on our current locations? I got VA and I'm physically on the east coast.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I got three pins when I clicked on yours. An insurance broker, a training and consultancy company and the "Bed and Breakfast and Farmstay Association."

:ROFLMAO: Those wouldn't be the first three things I thought of in association with Far North Queensland!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
It may be based on our current locations? I got VA and I'm physically on the east coast.
I was wondering that too. But I'm in Alberta, Canada, closer to the west coast.🤷‍♀️

Btw, your "In my head" sends me to Using My Head, a website designer in London (with five-star reviews). 😄