New Member From Australia

Underground44

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Thanks for allowing me to be a small part of this vibrant community.
I think I have to mention firstly that I’m not much of a writer. I enjoy using writing prompts and writing whatever comes to mind, but I’m yet to write anything substantial, although I have created a few characters - that to me are living and breathing. I have a few stories in my head though and I’m itching to get them out! I’m not one of those older people that feel compelled to write a book or get published but I think I have some interesting things to say and it’s hard to keep that in.
I have only recently started reading/listening to books more. When I was in my early twenties I used to read regularly but I lost interest in academic pursuits and ‘stayed in my lane’. I went to University for the first time just after I turned forty and I started to love learning and that led me to take up reading again.
It‘s tough to find the time to write as I have two young boys aged four and seven, but I’ve cut out all social media and that has helped.
I have always been very interested in people (even the annoying ones). For me, the best thing about moving around or changing jobs has been meeting people with different personality traits etc. and I’ve always been slightly obsessed about what makes people tick. That led me to a career as a mental health support worker.
I‘m a big Stephen King fan and have read most of his stuff and I am just about to start the Dark Tower series. The most recent book that I read was Flowers for Algernon. It was amazing. Difficult to put down and so damn sad. It had me thinking about it for days afterwards.
I look forward to everyones advice and joining in on some great conversation (once I find my way around!)

Reactions: Izz

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yayy! Another Aussie! There's been a bit of a kiwi-stampede recently, so it's good to rebalance the numbers ;)

Welcome to AW - I hope you settle in and stick around.

Reactions: Underground44

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
'Straya represent! :welcome:

I haven't read Flowers For Algernon since school, but it's definitely one that sticks with you!!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nooooo! Underground44, do you have a Kiwi cousin who can join to balance things out?

Regardless, you are very welcome, and I expect that parenting two young boys will give you heaps of life experiences that you can incorporate into your stories.

Flowers for Algernon.....oh crikey, that is such a memorable and incomparable book. I shall now go quietly weep in the corner...

Underground44

Registered
Reaction score
Nooooo! Underground44, do you have a Kiwi cousin who can join to balance things out?

Regardless, you are very welcome, and I expect that parenting two young boys will give you heaps of life experiences that you can incorporate into your stories.

Flowers for Algernon.....oh crikey, that is such a memorable and incomparable book. I shall now go quietly weep in the corner...
My first two wives (yes I’ve been married three times 😩) were from NZ and I’ve been over there at least a dozen times. Does that count?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first two wives (yes I’ve been married three times 😩) were from NZ and I’ve been over there at least a dozen times. Does that count?
If two Kiwi women liked you enough to marry you, I reckon you're an honorary Kiwi. I'm claiming you for my side.

NEW KIWI member, yay! Suck it, mccardy and be frank!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Underground44! It's great to meet you (and to hear you're a true blue... Kiwi ;)).

You'll love it here, I'm sure. AW has everything you need to help you improve your writing craft, to get those ideas into fully-fledged stories. There's more info here regarding all things writing and publishing than you can shake a stick at, along with an awesome community of folk ranging from newbies to established pros.

It definitely can be hard to find your way around at first but if you take your time exploring you'll have the lay of the land soon enough. Some find it helpful to bookmark the front page of the forums as an easy return point if they get lost. A tether, if you would. You might find our Basic Writing Questions room a good starting point, or perhaps one of the subforums in our Writing Genre collection.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you get to know the rules, etiquette and culture of the forums and the various separate spaces within.

Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

It‘s tough to find the time to write as I have two young boys aged four and seven, but I’ve cut out all social media and that has helped.

I imagine most people are surprised when they learn how much time they can reclaim by cutting out social media. And, to a certain extent, time is largely a matter of priorities.

I‘m a big Stephen King fan and have read most of his stuff

I have very mixed feelings about Stephen King, given that his endings can be spotty. I believe I've read 15 of his novels (my favorite being The Long Walk), 30-50 of his short stories (including some of his non-horror, because I didn't realize it was non-horror), and obviously seen many of the shows/films/etc that either adapted his work or were originals (of those, my favorite was Rose Red).

Does this mean you tend to write horror?

Underground44

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

I imagine most people are surprised when they learn how much time they can reclaim by cutting out social media. And, to a certain extent, time is largely a matter of priorities.

I have very mixed feelings about Stephen King, given that his endings can be spotty. I believe I've read 15 of his novels (my favorite being The Long Walk), 30-50 of his short stories (including some of his non-horror, because I didn't realize it was non-horror), and obviously seen many of the shows/films/etc that either adapted his work or were originals (of those, my favorite was Rose Red).

Does this mean you tend to write horror?
Yes. I love writing horror/psychosocial thriller stories and I’m a sucker for reading anything about time travel but I find that much harder to write. Misery is one of my favorite King novels.