Hello I'm New is this a Current Board? Posts look years old!

Polly Hansen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a radio producer of two nationally syndicated radio talk shows with 3.5 million listeners. Not naming the shows though because then you'll want to be my best friend and pitch me your non-fiction book. I'm here to support you and hope you'll support me too and want to beta read my memoir. So I'd like to set up a quid pro quo and read yours as well. I'll poke around and see what this is all about. I hope it's for real. Like I said, I'm seeing posts from 2007 and 2017, nothing from 2021. Cheers.

Reactions: Izz

PraiseRao

Backup your files
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. The forum is active. Be sure to read some of the f.a.q.'s someone will drop a link in here soon I'm sure. You have to get interact with the community before you can seek beta readers or critiques.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

It's current. Hang out, have fun, post as the mood strikes. Some posts haven't been touched in years. As a general rule, try to avoid posting in threads that went silent a year or two ago.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a radio producer of two nationally syndicated radio talk shows with 3.5 million listeners. Not naming the shows though because then you'll want to be my best friend and pitch me your non-fiction book. I'm here to support you and hope you'll support me too and want to beta read my memoir. So I'd like to set up a quid pro quo and read yours as well. I'll poke around and see what this is all about. I hope it's for real. Like I said, I'm seeing posts from 2007 and 2017, nothing from 2021. Cheers.
Welcome!

Up at the top left, click on the "New posts" and you'll see what's currently being discussed.

The forum does go back for decades, and some threads do inevitably go silent and gather dust, but it's all retained.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The community is twenty years old. We're fifteen in this format.

Some sub-forums are more active than others. We have an active critting and beta-reading community, but you won't be able to post something for crit, or request a beta, until you've made 50 substanstive posts. This more-than-a-decade old principle reduces the amount of exploitation by people who want critting, but don't otherwise participate.

Crits or critiques are pretty special, and have their own sub forum called Share Your Work (SYW). You need 50 posts to start a new thread in SYW.

The beta reading forum is here.

Lots of times new members think they know what it means to be critted, and that their work is ready for it, when it isn't. So having to have 50 genuine, engaged posts gives new members a chance to figure out how critting works.

Until you have 50 posts, why not go to Share Your Work and read some crits, and carefully read the stickies, and maybe try your own hand at doing a crit ?

Once you have 50 posts, you can start your own thread in Share Your Work. Until then, reading crits, and trying your own hand at critting will help you understand what it's like to be critted. It also gives your peers a better idea about you as a writer, and a person.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
We have memoirists come through our local in-person writers' group on a regular basis. Some of the stories are full of cults and abuse (and escaping that), others are full of antics from the summer of free love ... and raising the babies born thereafter, others are all replete with wicca and new-age and tarot and crystals... Memoir is a fantastic area to write. One of the things we see routinely is that while the passages are each interesting in their own right, they can lack a through-line to make the memoir cohesive as a whole. The memoirs can tend to feel fragmented.

As a producer, you probably understand the importance of cohesion.

Anyway, welcome. I'm a retired Caltecher now putting climate science into fiction in order to communicate it more broadly (the academic journals can only go so far, after all.)

Reactions: LisaH46

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
This topic is on track to get the most responses for any introduction :D

Welcome.

Hi. I'm a radio producer of two nationally syndicated radio talk shows with 3.5 million listeners. Not naming the shows though because then you'll want to be my best friend and pitch me your non-fiction book.

Not sure not knowing the name would stop that. :LOL:

Don't worry about me, I'm strictly genre fiction. And I think AW tends to be more fiction than non-fiction, at least from what I've seen. However, we have all kinds of writers here, and I've definitely seen a few memoirists even during the few months I've been here.

Like I said, I'm seeing posts from 2007 and 2017, nothing from 2021. Cheers.

Surely you would have seen posts from this week when you checked the "New Members" section?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm seeing posts from 2007 and 2017, nothing from 2021. Cheers.
The memoir section does go through some very quiet patches - I suspect there are busier memoirboards elseweb. The rest of us is pretty noisy and lively.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The memoir section does go through some very quiet patches - I suspect there are busier memoirboards elseweb. The rest of us is pretty noisy and lively.
Memoir is a difficult genre unless your name is immediately recognizable or you've done something extraordinarily unusual and compelling. They are difficult to sell so difficult for publishers to take on, again, unless there's something really compelling about the name, say Barack Obama, or Anthony Bourdain, etc.

Reactions: mccardey

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Polly Hansen :)

You've already had a pretty thorough welcome (thus confirming that yes, the forums are very active, though not all rooms within are at the same volume) so I'll just pop in to say please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These resources will not only help you get to know the forum rules but also the culture and etiquette of the various spaces within.

See you around the boards!
Izz

Reactions: Maryn

PPeterson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pjpeterson.net
I thought the same thing when I first signed up. After a couple posts, I realized that it's simply because of the old "sticky" posts at the top of every forum. They're years old, and you have to scroll down a bit to see the fresh posts.

Reactions: Maryn and Chris P