And from the ashes... No. Too stereotypical. How about just "Yo!"

Fenyx

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, AW community! I joined a while back but managed to forget I had done so in the middle of a life upended. So, no time like the now to jump in (Eyes first? Okay, fine. Feet.) I currently write in the fantasy umbrella (from old sword and board to urban, it's my heart) and romance (which, is based on hearts!). Surprisingly, I like to read fantasy mostly, but I’m also here for the right romance or thrillers, and I absolutely love a good mystery novel that I cannot guess what’s coming (which has grown increasingly difficult to find).

When reading the "how to do your first post" post, I had to chuckle at the question of how long I've been writing. I feel like I’ll end up giving a pretty typical answer by saying I’ve been writing since I *could* write, but it’s the truth. I started out with (and my nephew called me recently to tell me he found) stories about how animals got different colors and shapes (inspired by reading books of a similar vein that I loved).

I *do* beta read, but I have three very lovely critique type partners who I prioritize for most of my free time, though I am not above beta reading something that just rips my lungs out and demands I catch my breath. When it comes to critique, I am a fan of honest but kind. If something comes off weirdly, I'm going to at least make a note, simply because I want the same courtesy. But I'm definitely against the concept of critique for the sake of a tear-down. We have enough opponents to tear apart in our books.

"• Do you have any particular hobbies? Are you expert in any particular field or craft?"

Well, I was born and raised in Florida, so, hurricanes. But in a more real sense, I am trained in Emergency Management with a specialty in man-made disasters/Homeland Security and a heavy secondary in natural disasters (especially my beloved volcanoes). I’m also certified in disaster response on many levels from multiple organizations. Basically, disasters swim in my blood, but in a way that might only destroy my written worlds. I am also fascinated with/or absolutely love religions, folklore/mythology, drag, binging worth-while shows, figure painting, dancing, animals and their habits/health, cooking, and a particular passion for gaming in just about every medium (especially anything Legend of Zelda and tabletop). I have a wide array of really random interests and a massive ability to research something to death, so I don't even know what else might be useful here. But I'm excited :D

So, that's me. Yo!

Psychoclown

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I'm new here myself, but I've found the community very inviting and knowledgeable. I've always enjoyed fantasy, so there's a good chance I'll end checking out anything you decide to share.

Sounds like you've been writing since a young age. Good for you. Honest but kind is my preferred method. I don't mind being told something doesn't work, or isn't good, but it can be said with kindness and not with a scathing, needlessly cruel tone I've seen some folks take.

Reactions: Fenyx

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

And from the ashes... No. Too stereotypical. How about just "Yo!"

Personally I'm a fan of just listing stuff in the title. I think I put my genres and journey status in the title of my introductory post.

I currently write in the fantasy umbrella (from old sword and board to urban, it's my heart) and romance (which, is based on hearts!). Surprisingly, I like to read fantasy mostly, but I’m also here for the right romance or thrillers, and I absolutely love a good mystery novel that I cannot guess what’s coming (which has grown increasingly difficult to find).

Fantasy is a very nice umbrella. (Not a very good raincoat, though.)

Do you write novels, novellas, or short stories?

When reading the "how to do your first post" post, I had to chuckle at the question of how long I've been writing. I feel like I’ll end up giving a pretty typical answer by saying I’ve been writing since I *could* write, but it’s the truth. I started out with (and my nephew called me recently to tell me he found) stories about how animals got different colors and shapes (inspired by reading books of a similar vein that I loved).

There are multiple interpretations for it, since people also start and stop when it comes to their writing. And while most peoples' answers likely encompass a broad period of time starting with when they first learned how to write (and are sometimes embarrassed to find something their six-or-seven-year-old-self wrote), they can also have periods when they become more active. For instance, I started fiction-writing consistently last November whereas before I had been more sporadic and tended to leave things incomplete (prior to that, I'd never finished drafting a novel)

Then, of course, people can also mention where they are in their writing journey.

In a broader sense, it's also a conversation starter.

folklore/mythology,

Any preferences when it comes to mythos?

animals and their habits/health

Favorite animals?

Imaginaryist

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings, quite new myself. Still battling my way up to 50 posts, slowly, so very slowly. Anyway big fan of science fiction and fantasy tend to end up in my stories alot.
Can't wait to read some of you stories, so welcome and I do hope you enjoy your self.

• Love

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Hi, Fenyx!

Welcome to this he' neat corner of the Internet!

Norsebard

• Love

Lea123

Reliably forgetful
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I've not been here long either.

Also a lover of the old fantasy umbrella, not apposed to a bit of romance as long as it's not too cheesy and predictable.

The natural disaster training sounds fascinating! :eek:

• Love

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, AW community! I joined a while back but managed to forget I had done so in the middle of a life upended. So, no time like the now to jump in (Eyes first? Okay, fine. Feet.) I currently write in the fantasy umbrella (from old sword and board to urban, it's my heart) and romance (which, is based on hearts!). Surprisingly, I like to read fantasy mostly, but I’m also here for the right romance or thrillers, and I absolutely love a good mystery novel that I cannot guess what’s coming (which has grown increasingly difficult to find).
Welcome, Fenyx!

If you had previously joined AW, let Mac or AW Admin know, and they can merge your accounts. They don't like a user having multiple accounts. It's okay if you can't remember your previous password.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Fenyx

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I'm new here myself, but I've found the community very inviting and knowledgeable. I've always enjoyed fantasy, so there's a good chance I'll end checking out anything you decide to share.

Sounds like you've been writing since a young age. Good for you. Honest but kind is my preferred method. I don't mind being told something doesn't work, or isn't good, but it can be said with kindness and not with a scathing, needlessly cruel tone I've seen some folks take.
Honest but kind for sure! There's no reason to wreck each other needlessly. Writing is not a zero-sum game :)

Fenyx

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Personally I'm a fan of just listing stuff in the title. I think I put my genres and journey status in the title of my introductory post.

Fantasy is a very nice umbrella. (Not a very good raincoat, though.)

Do you write novels, novellas, or short stories?

There are multiple interpretations for it, since people also start and stop when it comes to their writing. And while most peoples' answers likely encompass a broad period of time starting with when they first learned how to write (and are sometimes embarrassed to find something their six-or-seven-year-old-self wrote), they can also have periods when they become more active. For instance, I started fiction-writing consistently last November whereas before I had been more sporadic and tended to leave things incomplete (prior to that, I'd never finished drafting a novel)

Then, of course, people can also mention where they are in their writing journey.

In a broader sense, it's also a conversation starter.

Any preferences when it comes to mythos?

Favorite animals?
Hey! Most of my post is tongue in cheek, personally. I've got a dry sense of humor and tend to lean into it sometimes hah.

When it comes to mythos, I am heavily interested and influenced by those coming from various origins, though I'm rather fond of mythos stemming from Japan, Ireland, Armenia, and Africa.

Favorite animal is a hard one though, since I kind of love them all, though bats tend to be one I especially adore due to one particular giant at a place I worked at that "fell in love with me."

Oh, and I write novels, novellas, and short stories alike :)

Last edited:

Fenyx

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I've not been here long either.

Also a lover of the old fantasy umbrella, not apposed to a bit of romance as long as it's not too cheesy and predictable.

The natural disaster training sounds fascinating! :eek:
Completely agree with romance not being too cheesy or predictable. There's a reason it's the best-selling genre, but that's also probably why I am really picky with it to. When I find a romance I love, I go all in lol.

Reactions: Lea123

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I *do* beta read, but I have three very lovely critique type partners who I prioritize for most of my free time, though I am not above beta reading something that just rips my lungs out and demands I catch my breath. When it comes to critique, I am a fan of honest but kind. If something comes off weirdly, I'm going to at least make a note, simply because I want the same courtesy. But I'm definitely against the concept of critique for the sake of a tear-down. We have enough opponents to tear apart in our books.

"• Do you have any particular hobbies? Are you expert in any particular field or craft?"

Well, I was born and raised in Florida, so, hurricanes. But in a more real sense, I am trained in Emergency Management with a specialty in man-made disasters/Homeland Security and a heavy secondary in natural disasters (especially my beloved volcanoes). I’m also certified in disaster response on many levels from multiple organizations. Basically, disasters swim in my blood, but in a way that might only destroy my written worlds. I am also fascinated with/or absolutely love religions, folklore/mythology, drag, binging worth-while shows, figure painting, dancing, animals and their habits/health, cooking, and a particular passion for gaming in just about every medium (especially anything Legend of Zelda and tabletop). I have a wide array of really random interests and a massive ability to research something to death, so I don't even know what else might be useful here. But I'm excited :D

So, that's me. Yo!
Lovely intro :) Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy it here.

• Love

Fenyx

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Fenyx!

If you had previously joined AW, let Mac or AW Admin know, and they can merge your accounts. They don't like a user having multiple accounts. It's okay if you can't remember your previous password.
No worries! I made *this* account a while ago. I'm not one to make new accounts if I already have one (working in IT has exposed me to the hazards of this too often lol). I just happened to make the account and then the world turned upside down between a lot of industry and personal stuff going on =D

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No worries! I made *this* account a while ago. I'm not one to make new accounts if I already have one (working in IT has exposed me to the hazards of this too often lol). I just happened to make the account and then the world turned upside down between a lot of industry and personal stuff going on =D
Ah, got it. That makes sense.

I hope your world is right-side-up again!

Fenyx

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, got it. That makes sense.

I hope your world is right-side-up again!
Thankfully so! And steaming ahead into new territory, apparently. Really excited to have remembered AW so I could come back to a community I was so ready to get to know in here after too long in the wrong places it seems.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are very welcome indeed, and I am sure I speak for the community when I say that we're delighted you're in a place in your life where you can become an active part of AW. It's truly a wonderful place for writers of every stripe.

• Love

Fenyx

Registered
Reaction score
Survival knowledge is great to have for writing fantasy, I bet you know how to raise stakes. Excited to have you aboard!
I definitely try my best! All stakes raise when the volcano erupts, no matter the genre! A big part of me wants to write a romantic comedy that’s just a couple endlessly escaping disasters but in ways that shouldn’t work as well as they do 😅. But the disasters definitely help with fantasy! The ultimate stakes are always the end of the world (or perceived world) but that hint of “you can’t stop this force of nature,” has a way of making me as a reader feel even more tension.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Fenyx! It's great to meet you :)

You'll love it here, I'm sure. There's more than enough information here regarding all aspects of the craft and business of writing to help you on your journey, and we have a community full of writerly folk, from newbies to seasoned pros, to engage with.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you understand not only the overall rules of the forum but also the etiquette and culture of the various spaces within. The forums are large, and can be overwhelming at first, so my recommendation is to take your time exploring. Do that and you'll get to know and appreciate the place in no time flat.

Check out our Writing Genre section, where you'll find subforums for all the genres :D Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards!
Izz