all around me are (un)familiar faces

CCMorgan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I’m Jackie! C.C. Morgan is a decorative pen name, I am wearing it like a hat. I live in the northern US. I'm 30, nonbinary, neurodivergent, & looking forward to meeting new people. I like to write fiction that lands somewhere around fantasy/scifi/horror/historical fiction, which is also a lot of the fiction I've liked to read. I read a lot of nonfiction these days, especially about physics or history. I've actually done a lot of informal roleplay writing, which is really enjoyable. I've never done beta reading before, but it sounds like a great way to connect & support indie authors.

I've been getting into chess and keeping houseplants, and I like to take walks in the woods & find a bench somewhere to work on stories. I volunteer at a food shelf about once a month. If anyone here is into the enneagram, I'm a 9. My career path got a bit interrupted, but I still dream of doing physics & I hope to apply to some graduate programs this winter (you could say that I've dropped out of a grad program in the past, but I prefer to see it as dropping in!). I'm at a weird crossroads-y place where I feel like I'm supposed to be an interesting person by now, but I've been doing a lot of surviving & sometimes I just feel like a teenager with enough life experience to be cynical with oomph. I have two cats, and I have been very successful at leading my colony as the big cat.

This looks like a really cool corner of the internet, I'm glad to be here! Nice to meet you all! Tell me about cool and interesting nonfiction books or podcasts 👀

Reactions: Set2Stun and Izz

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, CCMorgan! You'll find a lot of folks here who share your reading tastes. :)

Reactions: CCMorgan

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

I like to write fiction that lands somewhere around fantasy/scifi/horror/historical fiction, which is also a lot of the fiction I've liked to read.

It's a good landing zone... although for some reason I'm picturing all four at once which would be an interesting concept.

I have two cats, and I have been very successful at leading my colony as the big cat.

Two cats are company, twenty is a colony :p

Reactions: CCMorgan

CCMorgan

Registered
Reaction score
Two cats are company, twenty is a colony :p

hush. you're not the big cat :p

Nice to meet you too! All four genres at once sounds like a good read to me also, I like the way you think.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome Jackie/CC! It's nice to meet you :)

You'll find plenty to like here at AW, I'm sure. We've tons of information regarding all things writing and publishing and an awesome community of likeminded folk (from newbies to established pros) to hang out with. The forums are vast, which makes it easy to get lost/overwhelmed at first but if you take your time exploring the place you'll know your way around soon enough.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you understand the rules of the forum as well as the culture and etiquette of each space within. Too, they'll help you avoid making potentially embarrassing newbie mistakes.

I'd recommend our Writing Genre area as a good starting point for your forum explorations. We've got rooms for all the genres you like to write, and you'll find plenty of other folk who genre-bend as well.

Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

(ETA: also, you'll find lots of folks in the penname club, too. I'm one. For no particular reason other than I find pennames cool and just a little bit secret agent-y :p)

See you around the boards :D
Izz

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.