Hello - Introduction post!

Alugalug

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Creative writing can be lonely and to combat that I've done a lot of co-writing in the past. That hasn't always worked out for the the best. I want to write by myself in the future - and I'm hoping this forum can provide the advice and companionship I used to get from my co-writers going forward!

I write fiction, poetry, plays, and screenplays. I've had my short fiction published in some of the leading journals in Australia - and one of my plays won a government grant and was put up at one of Australia's leading theatre venues.

My screenplays have won big gov grants, and I'm trying to get people introduced in producing and directing them at the mo.

My first novel is being sent to publishing houses at the moment without much success so far but I'm hopeful! It was longlisted for a major Aussie award.

I'm an editor at a literary journal. I also write a lot of reviews of theatre and books.

Really looking forward to hearing from you - and if you have any suggestions about what sections of the site I should check out I would really appreciate it!!

Thank you!!!

Reactions: Izz and mccardey

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there - lovely to see another Australian on the boards. We're planning an Insurrection if we can get the numbers up - but don't tell anyone... ;)

Nether

has been brought to a creepy mansion in a cemetery
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Creative writing can be lonely and to combat that I've done a lot of co-writing in the past. That hasn't always worked out for the the best. I want to write by myself in the future - and I'm hoping this forum can provide the advice and companionship I used to get from my co-writers going forward!

Personally, I can't imagine co-writing, since creative control is part of the appeal of writing.

I write fiction, poetry, plays, and screenplays. I've had my short fiction published in some of the leading journals in Australia - and one of my plays won a government grant and was put up at one of Australia's leading theatre venues.

Grats... well, belated grats, but in my defense, I just learned about that.

Which fiction genres do you write?

My first novel is being sent to publishing houses at the moment without much success so far but I'm hopeful!

Agented or unagented?

Hi there - lovely to see another Australian on the boards. We're planning an Insurrection if we can get the numbers up - but don't tell anyone... ;)

I always enjoying watching to see how a poster with a dog avatar reacts to a poster with a cat avatar :p

...I also realize that dog avatars greatly outnumber cat avatars on the site.

Reactions: mccardey

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Alugalug! It's great to meet you :D

You've found your people and your place here, of that I'm sure. AW is just plain awesome, filled with all manner of information on all aspects of writing and publishing, and populated by a large, eclectic community of writerly folk, from newbies to seasoned pros.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, plus the stickies/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you understand not only the overall rules of the forums but also the culture and etiquette of the individuals spaces within.

AW is big and it can be easy to get lost/overwhelmed at first but if you take your time exploring you'll know your way around soon enough. You might enjoy our Short Fiction room (and perhaps even our Write 1 | Sub 1 space). We've got an area for screenwriters, plus an active poetry area. Don't forget to check out our Novels subforum, too!

Explore, lurk if you want, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you want, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Reporting for the insurrection.

Oh...forget I said that...

Welcome aboard!
*squints* Insurrection, eh? Typical Aussies. Good thing there's a few Kiwis around here to keep an eye on you!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Helix and mccardey

Carrie

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!
I very much relate to the comment about loneliness. My favorite thing to do is get my hopes up time after time and show up for writing groups, only to learn that I am the only person in the room who is actually writing. And then do it again. I have never co-written anything -- maybe I should!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!
I very much relate to the comment about loneliness. My favorite thing to do is get my hopes up time after time and show up for writing groups, only to learn that I am the only person in the room who is actually writing. And then do it again. I have never co-written anything -- maybe I should!
Not everyone in the AW room is actively writing, for various reasons, but sure as heck a lot of the members are! So you will never be alone in the room here.

Reactions: Alugalug

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My screenplays have won big gov grants, and I'm trying to get people introduced in producing and directing them at the mo.

My first novel is being sent to publishing houses at the moment without much success so far but I'm hopeful! It was longlisted for a major Aussie award.

I'm an editor at a literary journal. I also write a lot of reviews of theatre and books.

Really looking forward to hearing from you - and if you have any suggestions about what sections of the site I should check out I would really appreciate it!!

Thank you!!!
Welcome, Alugalug! It sounds like you've got a lot of very experienced fingers in a lot of pies.

Ignore the other Aussies here. Kiwis rule the place -- and the world ;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb

Alugalug

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Personally, I can't imagine co-writing, since creative control is part of the appeal of writing.

Grats... well, belated grats, but in my defense, I just learned about that.

Which fiction genres do you write?

Agented or unagented?

I always enjoying watching to see how a poster with a dog avatar reacts to a poster with a cat avatar :p

...I also realize that dog avatars greatly outnumber cat avatars on the site.
Yep - I do surrender some control when co-writing - but I gain the benefit of having each moment interrogated and hopefully strengthened - so that I'm much more confident with the final product. I choose the co-writers very carefully - ususally they have to be people I've known for ten years - and who I'd call a close friend - and even then things get pretty tense at times.

I write historical fiction in the novel form so far - and next im looking forward to attempting a contemporary comedy novel. Fingers crossed.

I am working with an agent to submit to my novel to publishers.

Actually not a cat person really due to allergies - but dating the ultimate cat lady. she just called out 'affianced!!' She says im not necessarily a cat person, I'm a meme person.

Alugalug

Registered
Reaction score
Tha
Welcome to AW, Alugalug! It's great to meet you :D

You've found your people and your place here, of that I'm sure. AW is just plain awesome, filled with all manner of information on all aspects of writing and publishing, and populated by a large, eclectic community of writerly folk, from newbies to seasoned pros.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, plus the stickies/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you understand not only the overall rules of the forums but also the culture and etiquette of the individuals spaces within.

AW is big and it can be easy to get lost/overwhelmed at first but if you take your time exploring you'll know your way around soon enough. You might enjoy our Short Fiction room (and perhaps even our Write 1 | Sub 1 space). We've got an area for screenwriters, plus an active poetry area. Don't forget to check out our Novels subforum, too!

Explore, lurk if you want, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you want, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

*squints* Insurrection, eh? Typical Aussies. Good thing there's a few Kiwis around here to keep an eye on you!
Thanks!! Will do ! was just planning a trip to Auckland but will hold off til there's a bit more certainty about travel!!

Reactions: Izz

Alugalug

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!
Yep - I understand this. Have to be very lucky to find a group that aren't too advanced or too far behind. Is there a government supported writing organisation you could contact and ask to help you find the ideal group? Like in Aus we have state writing organisations who are awesome at this.

Alugalug

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Alugalug! It sounds like you've got a lot of very experienced fingers in a lot of pies.

Ignore the other Aussies here. Kiwis rule the place -- and the world ;)
Just between you and me I've got a little Kiwi blood. shhh

Alugalug

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb
Great tips thanks - really like any advice that includes the word aplomb. will defo drop by the weekend progress report - what a great source of encouragement - cheers again

Psychoclown

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome aboard. You sound very accomplished. I do relate to the loneliness of writing sometimes. It's not something you can just share with anyone and unlike some other interests, it's very much a solo activity, so you have to actively seek out like minded folks.

I've also done some co-writing, or forms of it, and when it clicks it can be great. When it doesn't ... ugh.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Just a few tiny housekeeping details. Phar Lap? Kiwi. Pavlova? Kiwi. Underarm bowl? Totes Oz, hang your head in shame.

What genre is your novel?

Alugalug

Registered
Reaction score
Just a few tiny housekeeping details. Phar Lap? Kiwi. Pavlova? Kiwi. Underarm bowl? Totes Oz, hang your head in shame.

What genre is your novel?
My first two novels are historical fiction - im trying to get the second one finished at the moment. Then I'm planning to start work on a contemporary comedy novel! That's the plan anyway.....

Alugalug

Registered
Reaction score
My first two novels are historical fiction - im trying to get the second one finished at the moment. Then I'm planning to start work on a contemporary comedy novel! That's the plan anyway.....
What genre do you write in?

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome. We have lots of historical fiction lovers here. Drooling in anticipation.....