Hello all!

Tberard

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just joined here and thought I would introduce myself: my name is Thalia (she/her), like the Greek muse of comedy (rhymes with the flower azalea), and I’m an artist and writer living in Boston. Originally, I’m from a small town in Vermont, which I miss dearly especially as we head into fall trees and apple-picking season and where I participated in the requisite amount of ice hockey, playing in the snow, and consuming real maple syrup growing up. I moved to Boston six years ago to work towards getting my MFA in studio art, and I graduated from the School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts in 2019-- which with covid seems like ten years ago at this point. What I do for work at the moment is very sporadic hopping between modeling for figure drawing art classes at universities around Boston (a very niche job, if you’re ever writing a character who does this for work I’m happy to answer questions about what it’s like!), working on art commissions, and teaching zumba classes. As an artist I work in animation, performance, dance, and lately photography too, mostly about feminist issues using personal narrative and the figure, though my writing practice often overlaps with my art one and vice versa.

As a writer I’m currently working on editing a draft of a fantasy YA novel that I’ve been evolving since college, and I’m most interested in writing and reading fantasy (especially witches), magical realism, a touch of romance, and gothic horror-- and also I will never say no to a good heist story (I finally just got around to reading Six of Crows which I absolutely disappeared into (the netflix show, on the other hand, I’m struggling with but that’s a separate topic)). If I could choose books to be the parents of my someday-book, they would be “When the Moon Was Ours” by Anna-Marie McLemore, “The Scorpio Races” by the incomparable Maggie Stiefvater, “Her Body and Other Parties” by Carmen Maria Machado, and “Rebecca” by Daphne du Maurier; as well as every classic Nancy Drew book ever written to be the godmothers.

Two fun facts about me are 1.) that I’m currently working on a short experimental documentary film about the remaining nuclear power plants in New England that will hopefully involve me choreographing and performing a dance inside one of the power plants, and 2.) that, while I’m kind of into writing a tinge of horror into my stories, I’m also very afraid of horror as a genre, which means I have to be careful about noveling at night because even though I know everything that’s coming *because I wrote it* I very easily scare myself with my own work.

Anyway, look forward to meeting and exchanging ideas with everyone!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Thalia! It's nice to meet you :)

You'll love it here, I'm sure. AW is jam-packed with information on every aspect of the craft and business of writing, and is home to an awesome community of peeps. The forums are vast, so can be intimidating at first, but if you take the time to acclimate you won't regret and will soon find your hangout places.

You might find our Science Fiction | Fantasy discussion room a good jumping off point for your forum explorations. We also have a large contingent of horror writers, many of who hang out here.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickies in each room. Doing this will help you get a feel for the rules of the forums as well as the etiquette and culture of the various spaces within. Explore, lurk if you'd like, jump into conversations you find fun or interesting, make friends, enjoy yourself :D

See you around the boards!
Izz

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, it's nice to meet you, and I hope you see around the site.

I noticed you mention being afraid of horror as a genre, yet you list gothic horror as interest. Do you find it tamer than other horror subgenres? Or is it more just an exception to that rule?

Reactions: Tberard

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Tberard

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, it's nice to meet you, and I hope you see around the site.

I noticed you mention being afraid of horror as a genre, yet you list gothic horror as interest. Do you find it tamer than other horror subgenres? Or is it more just an exception to that rule?
Thanks for the welcome and interesting question! I'm not sure I feel that it's tamer but maybe that I'm interested enough in it compared to other subgenres (aesthetically, and also that it's frequently home to many a haunted house movie) to weather the scare-factor. Are you a horror writer at all?

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and interesting question! I'm not sure I feel that it's tamer but maybe that I'm interested enough in it compared to other subgenres (aesthetically, and also that it's frequently home to many a haunted house movie) to weather the scare-factor. Are you a horror writer at all?

Yes, and I actually finished the first draft of a haunted house novel the other month (albeit not a gothic horror... and the draft will probably require a great deal of revision, since the house itself isn't described in any great detail, among a few other issues).

And I imagine I'll likely just be writing horror until the end of October at this point. T'is the season, and all.

KMLove

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just joined here and thought I would introduce myself: my name is Thalia (she/her), like the Greek muse of comedy (rhymes with the flower azalea), and I’m an artist and writer living in Boston. Originally, I’m from a small town in Vermont, which I miss dearly especially as we head into fall trees and apple-picking season and where I participated in the requisite amount of ice hockey, playing in the snow, and consuming real maple syrup growing up. I moved to Boston six years ago to work towards getting my MFA in studio art, and I graduated from the School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts in 2019-- which with covid seems like ten years ago at this point. What I do for work at the moment is very sporadic hopping between modeling for figure drawing art classes at universities around Boston (a very niche job, if you’re ever writing a character who does this for work I’m happy to answer questions about what it’s like!), working on art commissions, and teaching zumba classes. As an artist I work in animation, performance, dance, and lately photography too, mostly about feminist issues using personal narrative and the figure, though my writing practice often overlaps with my art one and vice versa.

As a writer I’m currently working on editing a draft of a fantasy YA novel that I’ve been evolving since college, and I’m most interested in writing and reading fantasy (especially witches), magical realism, a touch of romance, and gothic horror-- and also I will never say no to a good heist story (I finally just got around to reading Six of Crows which I absolutely disappeared into (the netflix show, on the other hand, I’m struggling with but that’s a separate topic)). If I could choose books to be the parents of my someday-book, they would be “When the Moon Was Ours” by Anna-Marie McLemore, “The Scorpio Races” by the incomparable Maggie Stiefvater, “Her Body and Other Parties” by Carmen Maria Machado, and “Rebecca” by Daphne du Maurier; as well as every classic Nancy Drew book ever written to be the godmothers.

Two fun facts about me are 1.) that I’m currently working on a short experimental documentary film about the remaining nuclear power plants in New England that will hopefully involve me choreographing and performing a dance inside one of the power plants, and 2.) that, while I’m kind of into writing a tinge of horror into my stories, I’m also very afraid of horror as a genre, which means I have to be careful about noveling at night because even though I know everything that’s coming *because I wrote it* I very easily scare myself with my own work.

Anyway, look forward to meeting and exchanging ideas with everyone!
Hi! Welcome. It's great to meet you. I am an avid horror fan, but I even have trouble writing it at night or even when I am by myself. I was recently working on a short story for a Halloween contest and freaked myself out every time I heard a noise.

Tberard

Registered
Reaction score
I am an avid horror fan, but I even have trouble writing it at night or even when I am by myself. I was recently working on a short story for a Halloween contest and freaked myself out every time I heard a noise.
Great to meet you too! I'm glad it's not just me who does this haha
What kinds of horror stories do you like to write?

Tberard

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and I actually finished the first draft of a haunted house novel the other month (albeit not a gothic horror... and the draft will probably require a great deal of revision, since the house itself isn't described in any great detail, among a few other issues).

And I imagine I'll likely just be writing horror until the end of October at this point. T'is the season, and all.
Oh cool, congrats on finishing the draft! The description of a haunted house is such a crucial part of its haunting potential, let me know if you ever want a writing buddy to read through it!

Reactions: Nether

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
G'day and welcome aboard.

KMLove

Registered
Reaction score
Great to meet you too! I'm glad it's not just me who does this haha
What kinds of horror stories do you like to write?
I started with urban fantasy. Vampires and werewolves, but I find for my short stories I enjoy writing more gory stories.

Set2Stun

Banned
Reaction score
Originally, I’m from a small town in Vermont, which I miss dearly especially as we head into fall trees and apple-picking season and where I participated in the requisite amount of ice hockey
I hope the "requisite amount" isn't suggesting that you didn't enjoy the hockey! It's a requirement up here in Canada as well of course, but I loved every minute of it. Lifelong Penguins fan here.

Tberard

Registered
Reaction score
I hope the "requisite amount" isn't suggesting that you didn't enjoy the hockey! It's a requirement up here in Canada as well of course, but I loved every minute of it. Lifelong Penguins fan here.
Oh definitely not! I've been away from playing with covid and everything but I hope to get back to it! As a Boston resident I can't say I'm a big fan of the Pens haha but I'll root for any team's goalie. What kind of genres do you write?

Reactions: Set2Stun

Set2Stun

Banned
Reaction score
Oh definitely not! I've been away from playing with covid and everything but I hope to get back to it! As a Boston resident I can't say I'm a big fan of the Pens haha but I'll root for any team's goalie. What kind of genres do you write?
Understandable! I respect the Bruins as they seem to be perennial cup challengers. I write science fiction, although my current project is also a bit of a thriller with some history thrown in. I have read plenty of fantasy, but haven't tried writing any. Maybe one day I will take a crack at it as well.