What kind of monsters do you prefer?

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, excellent! I love it when a thread can spark such a great discussion, and also great ideas for the original poster. It validates AW and my faith in humanity, and also gives me that little frisson of delight that there will be in future yet another cool story written and, hopefully, out there in the world where I can get my sticky little beak on it for my own reading pleasure.
There is a reason I've been a member of AW since 2014. :) I may not post that frequently, but I'm usually lurking around and learning a ton from other posts.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
There is a reason I've been a member of AW since 2014. :) I may not post that frequently, but I'm usually lurking around and learning a ton from other posts.
P.S. And try to share what little wisdom and experience I can. :)

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most recent My Little Pony.
Oh, give her a copy of a Phoebe book and see if it's to her taste! Think Calvin & Hobbes, if Calvin were a girl and Hobbes were a sparkly unicorn.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, give her a copy of a Phoebe book and see if it's to her taste! Think Calvin & Hobbes, if Calvin were a girl and Hobbes were a sparkly unicorn.
OMG, I need to read that. And send a copy to my unicorn-obsessed librarian niece.

Reactions: Introversion

Vemahk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to see a thread like this hovering near the top 'cause Monsters are primarily what I am having difficulty with in one of my favorite fantasy WIPs...

I think my preference would be towards new monsters (i.e., not stolen, except perhaps adapted, from folklore), who are sapient enough to have motive beyond just "need eat: must eat". That being said, I am apparently incapable of achieving that standard myself lol.

Granted, I think some of my preferences stems from what I was trying to create, which was a certain hierarchy of monsters. The basic monsters I might be content with either pulling from common folklore or mutating a species of animal into a monstrous form, but the advanced monsters running the show... I haven't quite figured out what to do for those.

I think my final opinion may be summed by (perhaps unsatisfactorily): it depends on what you're using the monsters for. As an element of environmental danger or as a serious antagonist. Maybe I'm thinking too narrowly? I don't have a lot of experience with monsters.

Reactions: MaryLennox

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I think my final opinion may be summed by (perhaps unsatisfactorily): it depends on what you're using the monsters for. As an element of environmental danger or as a serious antagonist. Maybe I'm thinking too narrowly? I don't have a lot of experience with monsters.
What you're using the monsters for is definitely a good thing to consider.

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
I generally prefer monsters based on existing animals or legends, but I like theming so the monsters have to make sense in context. For example, vampires, basilisk, unicorns, and kappa are all great monsters in their own right, but they'd look strange together in most instances (unless the unicorn uses its horn to suck blood from its victims -- which pops up i fiction a LOT more often than you'd think).

However, it doesn't have to be a 1:1. The "Our vampires are different" trope works for me.

Reactions: MaryLennox