The 2019 Sequel Solstice Story Share: The Sequel!

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Question, out of curiosity: who did all three prompts in one story? You don't have to respond before being guessed (if it hints at which excerpt is yours) but I'd love to know. I had great fun mixing them all up.

I don't have prompt information for every story, as there was no obligation to reveal it, and of course it's not obvious from the excerpts. But if all of you want to reveal that info after you're guessed, be my guest!

Also, like. I can't reveal too much, but I can confirm that prompt-wise, appearances can be deceiving!

Does all fifty-one prompts count as three?

It counts as three AND fifty-one!

I'd be very interested to see if one managed all fifty-one in one story, that ought to be quite epic.

Knowing this group, this would not surprise me ONE BIT.

knowing side eye

Curses! :rant:

FYI, the score is actually Norm 2, Coddi 1.5*

*Yes, I saw Lily being reprimanded, and all parties concerned have had half a point deducted.

This is just a reminder to you all to consult the official score board on the Guessing Thread for accurate prompt totals. >:-D

(I'm just about to update the post.)

(Tis updated.)

Last edited:

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
This is just a reminder to you all to consult the official score board on the Guessing Thread for accurate prompt totals. >:-D

(I'm just about to update the post.)

(Tis updated.)

So far as I can determine, the current score seems to suggest that dogs are better than dumb horses:

Awesome doggos 5, Dumb horses 2*

*pending appeal. horses will probably be downgraded to 1.5 for reasons of collusion

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
So far as I can determine, the current score seems to suggest that dogs are better than dumb horses:

Awesome doggos 5, Dumb horses 2*

*pending appeal. horses will probably be downgraded to 1.5 for reasons of collusion

But.... you're forgetting that if the Beautiful felines, Friendly froggies and Fantastic fairys join the not-so-dumb horse, you doggos will struggle to maintain your awesomeness.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
But.... you're forgetting that if the Beautiful felines, Friendly froggies and Fantastic fairys join the not-so-dumb horse, you doggos will struggle to maintain your awesomeness.

Surely you can't think that ganging up on well-meaning doggos is a fair way to play a friendly guessing game?

P.S. You use too many F words. I am a little bit disappointed. :D

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Surely you can't think that ganging up on well-meaning doggos is a fair way to play a friendly guessing game?

P.S. You use too many F words. I am a little bit disappointed. :D

Too many F words eh? If I'd worked out how to edit posts on my mobile Beautiful cats would become FLUFFY cats.

Join us Team Birbman. We can hound those doggies into rolling over and submitting.

😁

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Too many F words eh? If I'd worked out how to edit posts on my mobile Beautiful cats would become FLUFFY cats.

Join us Team Birbman. We can hound those doggies into rolling over and submitting.

I'm not sure cats are the natural allies of birbs ... are you trying to eat me??

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, yes! Join me, and we will flummox those fiends with our fluffy, friendly, fantastic ferocity! How the fur will fly, and the fleabags will flee!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, been guessed. Rep me if you want to read Iron Chests, it's quite insane, really. Gets in all 51 prompts and reads like something I wrote when I was drunk and high (I wasn't either at the time, I swear!).

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, been guessed. Rep me if you want to read Iron Chests, it's quite insane, really. Gets in all 51 prompts and reads like something I wrote when I was drunk and high (I wasn't either at the time, I swear!).

10 out of 10 recommend. Strap yourselves in first, folks. Kevin built a wild ride. :)

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, yes! Join me, and we will flummox those fiends with our fluffy, friendly, fantastic ferocity!
How the fur will fly, and the fleabags will flee!

Yay! I'm on board 😁

Glad to say the hospital have sorted me out and I should be going home tomorrow. I was fortunate enough to have a transplant four and a half years ago. A blood test showed the level of immunosuppressants in my blood stream was way too high, so they stopped them until the level fell to normal then put me back on a reduced dose.

Oh boy do I feel better!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
HEY EVERYONE!

Since we're not gifting stories this time, I thought I'd make sure there's was a way everyone's story gets the hype it properly deserves. So, I present to you...

The Parade of Stories!

mu6Y3mb.gif

Gonna try to get all of them, feel free to jump in with your own reviews!

LITTLE RED MEN by Norman Mjadwesch

Stark, spare, and simple, LRM ask one of the most common questions in SF, 'how tf ar we gonna get our sh*t together well enough to colonize space? The answer being, of course, that we aren't. There' s a bareness to everything that fits the setting, the technical details are crunchy and good, and Norman deftly keeps the focus on humans and their internal conflicts throughout. It's a fine balance to explore speculative elements while keep human motivations the primary driver.

If this story were a parade float it would be nothing fancy, a base of red Martian rock with a dome on it. Brave Marstronauts would be waving at us, glassy-eyed, slightly depressed and not handling thing well. You'd feel bad for them, and wonder what bad decisions brought them here. Also, the float is self-driving, and you're *really not sure if they've perfected the algorithm for that yet.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo!

The Alpha Dog in the Guessing has reviewed my story! Thank you so much, KJB!! :yessmiley

Go Kevin, kick the horse when the next round begins!

The fight isn't over, but I'm all out of ammo... :(

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The Parade of Stories!!!
(don't snicker, I'm trying to do A Thing)

nhJ0AI3.gif

The second entree in our parade is....also Norman, because he's the only person I've got stories from so far. Expect reppies.

BON'S EYE by Norman Mjadwesch

Insane. Scatalogical. Oddly heartfelt. Digs at Coddi everywhere. That's the crazy doggo we all know!

Bon's Eye is a galloping mess of weirdness centered around the misdeeds of a very fictional Bad President (because no one like that could exist in real life), and the post-apocalyptic wasteland of six-inch tall people he leave in in his wake. How will humanity survive their newfound tininess? Through grit, snark, weird violence, and digs at Coddi, of course! My heart will always be with authors who are willing to put all their craziness and unpredictability on display, and oh boy does this one ever.

If this story would be a parade float, it would be one of those tiny clown cars. Like, super-tiny and painted in bright colors perhaps covered with stick figure people exploding and crude pictures of genitals. Once the doors open, the clowns would come out, and oh boy there would be a lot of clown. Tough guy clowns. Snarky clowns. Clowns resembling fictional cartoon presidents who couldn't possibly be real. And then at the end there's Norman, being his thoughtful, gentlemanly self.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Also, not to be #thirsty, but my other story' has been guess as well. She's a Rainbow is an unfinished mess, mainly because I got way to ambitious and tried to write the kind of antiquated boy-becomes-man literary romance I enjoyed when I was younger but have since fallen off on. Also, it's set on Mars and has both political machinations and eldritch abominations. And there's a soundtrack.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and one more for the night, bcuz I got to beta it...

RUSULKA
by Coddiewomple

Rusulka felt to me like something out of The Bloody Chamber. Dark and mythic, full of subconscious desires and boundaries being crossed. There's a naiveté to the storytelling that exists only to lull you into a sense of false security, and ignore the prickle you get at the back of your neck that something more is going on. Then, everything falls into place and it goes full-on splatterpunk.

If this story were a parade float, it would be the scene of a wooded tangle. In the center would be a pond, and in the pond, a girl. Staring up at you, with green skin and branches in her hair. You know that once you've seen her she'll haunt you forever.

Well, that's a big fat clue for anyone who wants to have a crack at guessing Rusalka. LOL, what were you thinking Kevin? :roll:

btw, I beta'd that story too and you don't see me stabbing my buddies in the back. Stabbing them in the face is much more satisfying - you get to see the horror in their slowly comprehending eyeballs. :D

Hey, Coddi? Better luck picking your beta readers next time, is all I can say. LOL :Hug2:

I can't do gifs, but how about this emoji story?

Coddi --> :flamethrower <-- Kevin

Dogs are man's best friend. It doesn't say anything about where we rate horses. My guess is that KJB thinks they are a menu option (perhaps even destined for a cannery?).

ETA. Just because Kevin removed his post doesn't mean that imma going to remove this one. There is nowhere to hide when the deed is done. (and the pic was kinda cute)

Last edited:

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Go Kevin, kick the horse when the next round begins!

The fight isn't over, but I'm all out of ammo... :(

Hmm. After the events of last night, this post has not aged well.

Do I see evidence of COLLUSION?*

:ban

Or is Kevin that susceptible to suggestion? Either way, I smell a dirty dog!

*Random fun fact. I woke up this morning with an old Joe Walsh song stuck in my head. But my subconscious had messed with the lyrics, changing them to: "Living a Life of Collusion."

Last edited: