• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Castrum Press

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I did a search for Castrum Press on AW and nothing came up.

Is this publisher on anyone’s radar? Some of thier titles go as far back as 2014, but I’m not finding a lot of information on Castrum.

And some of thier statements in their submission guidelines, particularly this, sounds a little purposely vague:

If you are accepted as a Castrum Press author you will receive coaching on making the most of whatever online medium you choose to connect to readers and invited to participate in Castrum Press marketing activities to promote you and your work.

Every author should know how important it is to have your own fan base, and, let’s face it, there’s nothing nicer than readers telling you how much they enjoyed your work. But, how can readers contact you? If you don’t have an online presence, start one as soon as possible, it doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive.

To my ear, it sounds like they’re selling marketing tools, though they don’t come out specifically and say that.

So if anyone has worked with them, I’d love to hear your experience.

Thanks!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I did a search for Castrum Press on AW and nothing came up.

Is this publisher on anyone’s radar? Some of thier titles go as far back as 2014, but I’m not finding a lot of information on Castrum.

And some of thier statements in their submission guidelines, particularly this, sounds a little purposely vague:

To my ear, it sounds like they’re selling marketing tools, though they don’t come out specifically and say that.

So if anyone has worked with them, I’d love to hear your experience.

Thanks!

Anytime you see the word "expensive", even when modified by "not", then this is a publisher you should avoid like the plague.

Writers promote. Publishers market.

Completely different subset of skills.

Also, you get a fan base by having a book that's easily accessible, incredibly well-edited, and well-written. It doesn't matter how much the author promotes if the publisher doesn't work to make the book available as widely as possible. No "promotion" plan can generate a fan base - (the Kardashian sisters, not withstanding my point).

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Their wording does strike me as a little funny.

All the same, hopefully someone who knows someone who knows someone who’s worked with them can add some concrete details in the next month or so. Of the few books they have listed, some seem to be doing respectable considering they’re several years old.

Publishers experimenting with new ways to do publishing is fine. But there’s a whiff of “Pay and...” and fill in the blank, in the way they’ve worded their submissions guidelines.