Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold;
when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade."

- Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

animetd+flower10.gif

It may not seem like it yet, but spring is just around the corner. I hope everyone is flush with energy and fresh ideas, and ready to make a start on their March goals!

As I stated in my final post of the February thread, I've given myself permission to jettison the 11k or so words I've written on my WIP and start fresh. That's my main goal for the month, although I have others, including the more pressing one of finishing my Sisyphus story since the deadline for that is looming.

So here are my goals for March, just to get things going. As you can see, I've already marked one completed, and that's the decision to do the April Camp NaNo. I'm hoping a bunch of you will, too. For those not familiar with the twice-yearly NaNoWriMo Camps, they're a little different from NaNo - you set your own tasks - writing, editing, whatever - and your own goals - wordcount or otherwise - and you also have the option of being in a Camp cabin with other writers, where you can share your woes and triumphs and encourage your fellow Campers (not unlike this thread). Here's a link to the Camp website: CampNaNoWriMo

[x] 1. Decide whether to participate in April Camp - DONE. I'm in!
[ ] 2. Finish Sekrit Solstice story
[ ] 3. Start fresh on WIP (Book 5 of fantasy series) - 0 of 10,000 words
[ ] 4. Write blurb and other pre-publication stuff for Book 4
[ ] 5. Read two books - 0 of 2
[ ] 6. Exercise (any kind) three times a week; 30 minutes at a time - 0 of 4
[ ] 7. Lose five pounds - 0 of 5

All right, the rest of you: what are your March goals?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Oh man, Camp, I hadn't even thought about it... I should definitely use it for editing.

Most of my goals haven't changed. If I think of any others, I'll add them. It's getting to be spring cleaning time. Maybe I should try to spend some weekends working on that.

HahahahahahaahahhahaAHAHHAHHAHAA

Free weekends *wipes tears* What are those?

March goals:
[ ] Read 2 books (0/2)
[ ] Finish 1 game
[ ] Stream at least once a week (0/4)
[ ] Write 1 blog post (0/1)
[ ] Complete mystery project (75% done)
[ ] Edit first 1/4 of Queen of Bones
[ ] Use each kitchen appliance once (Breadmaker, Instant Pot, Rice Cooker)

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy autumn everyone. (today is the first day of autumn in Aus) And good luck to all for their March goals. May we all be filled with enthusiasm and energy to achieve our goals for this month.

Hmm, I did NaNo many years ago and it totally burned me out for months afterward, but if you're allowed to set your own goals... maybe I could do the camp thing.

My goals for March are not terribly many and they should be achievable with only a little effort on my part. It's just finding the kick in the pants I need. :) I just can't get interested in the books I got for Christmas, so I've started reading a book I've had since the mid-80's - The Seven Towers by Patricia C Wrede... hopefully that'll keep me busy until the new books I ordered get here. I'm hoping THEY will grab me hard. I've had the notes and the basic outline for the historical fantasy since last year--and then Sisyfus arrived. *g* I really need to get that damn blanket finished too. I'm starting to get sick of it.

[ ] Write historical fantasy first draft
[ ] Read two books 0/2
[ ] Finish knitted blanket (weather permitting)
[ ] Lose enough weight that my jeans are no longer too tight (I don’t own a set of scales) before I have to start wearing said jeans because of the weather
[ ] Make dinner at least once a week 0/4

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I'm not sure if I am doing Camp or not. It depends on the scope of revisions my book needs.

[] Begin revision on secret project
[] Write 5k or more on Oubliette

That's all I am starting with. I may add to this later.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty easy this time.

[ ] Write at least 20k this month.
[ ] Enjoy 36 birthday pies.

I love Nano camp, get more out of it than the November event. So I'll see ya there!

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
So, if I decide to sign up for Nano camp... could I request to be in a particular group/cabin? *pokes Kev* Wanna share the journey with a noob?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
*Is happy you saw what I was getting at*

Jay, I'd share a cabin, tent, Airstream trailer, or the escape pod on a spaceship with you any day!

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, thanks! So... how would I do this thing. (maybe we should take this discussion to email?) I do have an idea I could work on in April.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aww, thanks! So... how would I do this thing. (maybe we should take this discussion to email?) I do have an idea I could work on in April.

There's usually a cabin or two just for AWers :) Usually MrsMig or I will set it up based either in these threads or in a thread specifically for Camp.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
There's usually a cabin or two just for AWers :) Usually MrsMig or I will set it up based either in these threads or in a thread specifically for Camp.

Cool. So... when you sign up is there anything special you need to do to make sure you get into those cabins? (I did read the FAQs... like tick that I don't want to be assigned to a cabin, but make sure I'm open to invites to join a cabin?)

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cool. So... when you sign up is there anything special you need to do to make sure you get into those cabins? (I did read the FAQs... like tick that I don't want to be assigned to a cabin, but make sure I'm open to invites to join a cabin?)

Unless something's changed, once Cabins open up, someone will make a cabin. You'll make your project on the Camp website and give the cabin owner your username either by posting here in the thread or PM or rep. The cabin owner will then send you an invitation to join the cabin. If you happen to get randomly assigned to another cabin, you can leave it for an invited one. It's pretty user-friendly now. :)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very happy to here all this, because I frankly have no idea how a cabin works. Last time I did camp I got stuck in the erotica cabin, things happened and I can never show my face there again. :D

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Unless something's changed, once Cabins open up, someone will make a cabin. You'll make your project on the Camp website and give the cabin owner your username either by posting here in the thread or PM or rep. The cabin owner will then send you an invitation to join the cabin. If you happen to get randomly assigned to another cabin, you can leave it for an invited one. It's pretty user-friendly now. :)

Okay, thanks for the info, Maggie. I'm not a very daring soul (unlike my characters *g*) so I need to know how things work before I start. I'll look into getting things ready to input the details for my April project sometime this week. I'm guessing it's a good idea to get all signed up and ready to go reasonably early so you're ready to start on 1 April.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm very happy to here all this, because I frankly have no idea how a cabin works. Last time I did camp I got stuck in the erotica cabin, things happened and I can never show my face there again. :D

:ROFL:

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
There shouldn't be a repeat of Family circumstances from this month in March, so I guess I'm back to my regular writing schedule.

[ ] Finish Kevin's edits.
[ ] Add more words to Witches for Hire 2 and YA stories.
[ ] Finish 2 practice covers.
[ ] Stop being a ghost on social media.
[ ] Have something to add when that freaking AO3 email finally comes(I guess this is punishment for waiting so long to join).
[ ] Outline other Family of Lies stories.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty painless, Jay. Just enter your project info and wait till they set up the cabin. I always get annoyed because Camp Nanowrimo and Nanowrimo don't link to each other easily, so you might have to re-enter your account info. I sent you an invite, from there it'll walk you through it. :)

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty painless, Jay. Just enter your project info and wait till they set up the cabin. I always get annoyed because Camp Nanowrimo and Nanowrimo don't link to each other easily, so you might have to re-enter your account info. I sent you an invite, from there it'll walk you through it. :)

Ah ha! I wondered who nemojbatkastle was. *g*

You know, I did nano about a million years ago, so I think I'll just start up a new account for Camp.

free turtle bear

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everybody! You are full of energy this month!

Spring is around the corner, eh? We are getting the first snow of the year (and probably of the decade) here today. Which really should read: what better time to write than when you're snowed in? I feel like March will be a productive month.

Goals:
[ ] Write at least 5k per week (either one short story or part of WIP) (0/4)
[ ] Begin research for the Big Project - read at least one book for research (0/1)
[ ] Write introduction post for AW
[ ] Begin interacting on SYW and offer at least one critique (0/1)
[ ] Finish move and decorate new flat - make it ready to entertain
[ ] Read at least 4 books (0/4)
[ ] Work out at least twice per week (0/8)

Also, your enthusiasm for CampNaNo is contagious. I need to check out the website. April should be a good month for focusing on my writing.

Good luck with your goals, people!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
My March goals look very similar to my February goals. It's just some names that have changed. 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 are exactly the same. 3, instead of finishing the NaNo novel, I'm finishing the novel I paused to write the NaNo novel. 6, I'm going back to the first book of the trilogy where I was editing the second book in Feb. I have no idea how long this will take, so I'm not giving myself a chapter amount or anything. I'll just see how I go.

I've never done Camp NaNo. The book edits might have been a good thing to do then but don't know. I'll see how I feel closer to April or whether I'm happy plodding along.

Game planning is, as ever, the easy goal, but game is this Saturday and I'm still scurrying to get some stuff done for it >>

Books. Well. I got a bunch for my birthday and I finally hunted down my new library and have Provenance by Ann Leckie out so hopefully I will do better. If I finish my current book. If I am still stuck in a week, I think I'll have to put it aside. I'm enjoying it. I'm just also apparently stalling on it.

1. Read five books.
2. Continue transcription.
3. Edit/Finish Secret Solstice story.
4. Finish E. (novel WIP).
5. Continue game planning.
6. Edit M. (Book 1)
7. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day (with one dedicated writing day per week).

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
This thread is already moving. Nice!

I'm going to try and be a bit more focused this month. Hopefully that'll give me more progress before the end.

[ ] Give away the give-away pile
[ ] Read Dying on Second for the AW Reading Challenge
[ ] Read One Hundred Years of Solitude for book club
[ ] Write first draft of short story for next Alphabet Anthology
[ ] Finish edit on novella
[ ] Decide what I'm working on for Camp
[ ] Edit every day: Week 9 (March portion)
[ ] Edit every day: Week 10
[ ] Edit every day: Week 11
[ ] Edit every day: Week 12
[ ] Edit every day: Week 13

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm joining in here to try and haul me out of the longest writing slump I've had in twelve years, since I was pregnant and too sick to concentrate.

In April 2017 I finished a 13-month process of writing and editing a novel, then immediately did a NaNo in May and got the first 50,000 words of another book. And then I crashed, hard. Took the summer off and felt okay about it, while planning to get back to work and finish NaNo book in September. Unfortunately, September is when my husband's health started to fall apart (he has a chronic illness), and it just kept getting worse, until here we are with him having been out on disability for three months, being fed into a PICC line for two and half months, and facing major bowel surgery at the end of this month. On top of that, my father just died.

So I've been escaping into reading (I read over 140 books last year) and haven't been able to focus on writing at all. I'm trying to be kind to myself about that, but I'm also starting to get that cranky feeling that comes from not doing something you need to do as a person for far too long.

tl;dr: Life has been kicking my ass, but I am committing to getting back to work this month. I only have one goal:

[ ] Write/edit for 60 hours.

I'm getting back to work on the unfinished NaNo novel from last year. I've had a change of heart about the person and tense, so the first thing I'm doing is editing the first ~50,000 words and making those changes. Then it's another ~30,000 words to finish the book. If I get all that done in 60 hours (which I won't; I am a slow writer), I'll start brainstorming for my next book.

I'm so glad this thread is here! I really need this.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, lianna - you've had it rough. We're all here to cheer you on!

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Lianna, that's a BAD year. I hope 2018 is kinder to you.

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
March snuck up on me when I wasn't paying attention.

Keeping it simple this month:
[ ] Read 2 books
[ ] Edit 5 chapters
[ ] Write 2 blog posts

That's it. I'll have to go back and do a final post in the Feb thread.

I hope 2018 is better for you Lianna.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Eek, Lianna. I really hope all this gets better. Unprofessional unsolicited opinion, but the times I can grit my teeth and stick to a consistent writing habit (whatever gets accomplished or not) are the times I'm best able to handle the feeling of everything else going to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.