PDA

View Full Version : Chloroform

Madison
04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I know the Hardy Boys were always chloroformed back in the 50s or whenever those books took place. But is chloroform still used to knock people out or is there some new potent drug that my characters should use instead?

ColoradoGuy
04-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Both chloroform and ether stink pretty bad and take several minutes to work, so you'd have to have your character already restrained before using them. Also, neither lasts more than a couple of minutes unless you are having them constantly breathe the stuff. These days I'd expect Evil Persons to use a fast-acting anesthetic, say injected ketamine (onset 1-2 minutes if IV), or, if you want something oral that would take a little longer to work, an agent like Ambien (in a large dose) or one of various barbiturates. There are some previous threads about this if you search back in the forum.

wyoming_dreams
04-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Roofies, Special K and GHB, are date rape drugs I believe, but as far as I know none of them are inhaled like chloroform.

You might want to google '"knock out" drugs'. Hope this helps.

ColoradoGuy
04-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Roofies, Special K and GHB, are date rape drugs I believe, but as far as I know none of them are inhaled like chloroform.

You might want to google '"knock out" drugs'. Hope this helps.
Special K is ketamine.

Madison
04-19-2008, 10:48 PM
i think I'll go with the ketamine. ambien would be good (that stuff is STRONG!) but the oral part doesn't work.

thanks a lot!

ColoradoGuy
04-19-2008, 10:53 PM
i think I'll go with the ketamine. ambien would be good (that stuff is STRONG!) but the oral part doesn't work.

thanks a lot!
It's widely used in veterinary medicine, too, so a good place for your character to obtain it would be swiping it from a vet tech or something like that. If you just jab it into the muscle (dose is 3-4 mg/kg) it takes about 5 minutes or so to start working, IV (dose 1 mg/kg) is within a minute or so. It comes in several strengths out of the bottle: 10 mg/mL, 50 mg/mL, or 100 mg/mL. So a typical 70 kg adult could get about 0.75 mL of the most concentrated stuff (a very small volume) in the vein and go out in a minute. The IV dose lasts about 30 minutes usually.