Question about Stage Play

Horizon_eyes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.designertrade.com
Hi everyone.

Just a question that I've been unable to find yet. If it's been covered here somewhere already, my apologies...

Anyway, I'm currently writing a script for a stage play. When finished, I'm not ruling out self-publishing if necessary. My goal is basically to see that the play is performed, and that people are entertained by it, somehow, somewhere.

Having only worked as an actor myself with playhouse theaters, I haven't worked on the directing or administration side.

So my question is, what is the status-quo with scripts -- do theater groups just purchase the scripts, or is there some type of performance license involved, etc. Or is all that included with the purchase of the scripts?

Or, is there any type of union thing I need to be concerned with, as I'm currently not affiliated with any union. But perhaps a theater out there couldn't use my script because of union stipulations, etc.

Any info along these lines would help. Thanks!

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Hi Horizon eyes,

Not sure if this will help you but .....

I write plays and I also co-own a community theatre group. When we do plays that have been published, we have to pay performance rights, per performance. Other than that, I think there's the option that you could just sell your play outright to a group. I don't know which of these would be better though.

As far as unions go, I have no idea. I think they only come into play when you're in the professional league.

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
Hi:

First the easy questions: Union affiliation is not necessary at any level although most successful writers join. There are some writers unions ("Guilds" actually) but membership is not necessary to market your play. Writers Guild of America (East and West) are the most well known.

In general, you don't sell your script to a theater - you "license" the right to do the desired number of performances. As an adjunct, most licenses require the performing entity to purchase one copy of the script for each actor and the director. This is necessary because the license prohibits the copying of scripts.

If you look at the major royalty houses (Dramatic Publishing and Samuel French) they charge about $7.50 for each copy. Some offer a "manuscript" script (for about $25) that allows you to make a specified number of copies. At $0.10 a page to copy the $7.50 is usually cheaper.

Royalties to perform a play cost around $75 (for non professional theaters with less than 400 seats) although some popular playwrights get $100 or more. (This is for each performance).

There are lots of contracts out there for you to use - for an example go to dramatists.com and look at nonprofessional licensing - at the bottom of the page are several contract clauses that you would need to include in a license.

Finding a royalty house that will take on your script is necessary if you really want to license your play. (How else would you get the word out about your play?) There are dozens of smaller houses - most are oriented to specific types of plays. Go to aact.org and look at the list of royalty houses (resources/play sources) - there might be one that fits your needs.

BUT . . . most houses want to see a list of productions ending with a professional production or two - of course the venue counts too - having your play done on Broadway or Off Broadway counts more than a small professional theater in a small city.

So where would I start - look for a public or staged reading at a local theater. We do a lot of new material but most of it comes from people we know. I get a lot of unsolicited script and read most but our schedule is limited and we want to help our local playwrights. That is not to say that we haven't done performances of unsolicited scripts but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Another avenue that can work well is the fringe theater festival route. There are dozens of fringe festivals all over the country. If your play does well on the fringe circuit people will see it and might pick up your play for themselves to do. I personally know one play that got picked up for Off Broadway that way.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Horizon_eyes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.designertrade.com
Thanks Doug-B and Mandy Jane, both are helpful posts to me. I will check out the websites you've mentioned; sounds like good info to dig into.

One thing that took me by surprise was the reference to professional vs. non-professional theaters... I've never heard that term before. If I'm understanding correctly, 400 seats or more is what is called a professional theater, thus a higher rate of royalties / license? Therefore I would need to set 2 rates, depending of the seat capacity of the play house.

But even this is sort of running before I walk, correct?

Part of me is thinking I should follow the norm, while part of me is thinking of a way to go outside the norm, and marketing. For example, create my own license that says there are no royalties, purchasing the script books is sufficient, providing that no copies be made and script books are purchased for all actors and the director.

Then send a letter / flyer to every theater I can find, including quotes from any newspaper critics' praise from any performances so far, with the website address where they could purchase the script, or on Amazon, or something of that nature. Perhaps the idea of forgoing any license fees would be enticing, if the script / story showed promise of being very entertaining and funny (it's a comedy).

Or would this not be plausible thinking.

Last edited:

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
There are many, many differences between professional and non professional theaters but seating capacity is not one. There are not many non professional theaters with over 400 seats but I know many professional theaters with far less. One professional theater I frequent has 36 fixed seats and another dozen folding chairs. The major difference is that professional theaters pay their actors - usually under a union contract.

Everything I have seen absolutely prohibits making copies of scripts but it happens - sometimes with the knowledge of the theater and sometimes without. I know actors who make copies to enlarge the font size to make it more readable. It is almost impossible to do the tech for a show out of the small acting edition scripts.

On a slightly different topic - I think most script sales are for "review". I probably buy 50 to 75 scripts to read to find a single show to produce. We spend hundreds of dollars a year on published scripts. I also get dozens of scripts a year by e-mail for review. I also get dozens of scripts in "manuscript' form (copied on 8 1/2 by 11 paper). My guess is that, unless you print thousands of copies, the cost of the scripts will be near to what you can sell them for, leaving you with not much for your work. Now a days, most printed scripts cost $7.50 each. I don't buy scripts that cost much more than that. The average acting edition script probably has 100 pages - hard to make a copy and mail it for $7.50.

I think you NEED to charge royalties - if for no other reason than to protect your copyright. For unpublished scripts we offer 5% of the ticket sales if the show loses money and 8% if we make money (we have never lost money). At least one of the royalty houses has gone to a percentage of gate receipts for royalties (much fairer in my opinion). If you keep the cost of scripts down you will get more people to read them.

Just my thoughts.

Doug

Last edited:

Horizon_eyes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.designertrade.com
Doug B, awesome comments. I'm glad to see I'm talking to people in this thread (all of you!) that are more in the 'industry' than I thought I'd get when I posted the question -- this forum seems to have the best of several different worlds.

That clears up my misunderstanding of professional / non-professional. The public probably doesn't know the difference I imagine, but regardless... Makes a difference when gearing up for releasing a script.

For this first endeavor of mine, making money for me isn't an issue, I just want to see the show done. Having worked in a vast number of shows as an actor throughout my life, I'm confident this one would go over big with any audience. One of the funniest things I've written, and I'm hoping to do this show myself someday. I wonder if my own excitement is showing through as I type this. Just one of those times when you know what you're working on is a good thing.

Which is why I've been thinking the way I have. On one hand, I'm leery about the idea of doing anything for cheap, because I know how the psychology goes. People value something they've paid for, and if something was cheap or free for them, they think the quality must also be cheap.

On the other hand, all I care about is seeing the show brought to life on stage somewhere. Once one theater does it, and documented, reviewed by the local paper as they often do, I'm confident it will be successful and it would be that much more of a "selling point" for another theater to perform it.

It's not going anywhere though until I get a certified mail receipt back from the post office saying that my script has been received by the U.S. Copyright Office.

After that, I really want to do what I can to see the show run somewhere.

This isn't about getting any glory (aside from the usual credit which fosters career-growth). It's more like, I've built a new model rocket that I believe will go incredibly high and fast, and all I want right now more than anything is to see it fly.

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
Tell me a little about your play: What is the play about? Is it full length or a one act or a ten minute play? What is the running time? What is the cast (ages and sexes)? Is it a comedy, drama, thriller, domestic drama or whatever? Are there any special technical requirements? What is the production history? Have you had any theater or public readings? Were they fully staged or just read?

Doug