• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Copyright status... OK to use Greek gods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billz015

Registered
Reaction score
I had an idea for a story involving greek gods and I was curious if I would run into any copyright problems or something such as that in doing so.

Can anybody help me on this?

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Pretty sure Greek Gods are public domain. Run like Mercury with it! :)

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
Might want to write to Homer's agent to be sure.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
I'm not sure what age group you're writing for, but Rick Riordan's absolutely brilliant YA series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, is all about the Greek Gods (and their present day half-breed offspring) and all three books (the fourth is due out in May) are highly entertaining for anyone of any age.

http://www.rickriordan.com/children.htm

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
One minor point .. make sure you are righting about the OLD Greek Gods, not a modern version of them.

For example, if you mention Dahak (the ancient Greek 'Dark God') you may get into trouble, as he was an 'ancient Greek' god invented for Xena.

Mac

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Usual written copywrite is 100 years from date of publication. Pyramis and Thisbe turns into 'Romeo and Juliet' which gets made into 'West Side Story'. Eros and Psyche becomes 'East of the Sun and West of the Moon' & 'Beauty and the Beast' as 2 variants.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Usual written copywrite is 100 years from date of publication. Pyramis and Thisbe turns into 'Romeo and Juliet' which gets made into 'West Side Story'. Eros and Psyche becomes 'East of the Sun and West of the Moon' & 'Beauty and the Beast' as 2 variants.
If anyone does this again, I'm going to slap 'm with a wet fish! It's copyRIGHT, not copyWRITE. Copywriting is a verb, copyright is the noun this questioner was referring to.

About the question: Characters aren't copyrighted, they're trademarked, but there's no such problem with Gods, Santa, and real people.

Read/Listen to Mur Lafferty's "Heaven" series if you still wonder.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd echo the "make sure they're the ancient versions" statement. This comes to mind especially with the Norse gods, for example, that have been somewhat appropriated by a certain comics publisher with nasty lawyers. They do not own the trademark on Thor - just on their version of him.

(So keep your gods out of capes and tights. :) )

Daagzahav

Registered
Reaction score
As long as you use the Greek gods in an original way, you're all set copyright-wise. Greek gods are a hot property in publishing now, thanks to Rick Riordan. One of my favorite books from last year was gods behaving badly by Marie Phillips, if you want another example. Or just a good read!

Status
Not open for further replies.