Music IQ Quiz

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an on-and-off EMusic subscriber. I just got an email from them pointing me to the following link:

http://www.mymusiciq.com/

It's a quiz to test the range of your music knowledge. I took it and thought it was kind of fun. Yes, it is EMusic trying to drum up some traffic, but since the quiz itself can be taken without any obligation, I thought some folks on AW might enjoy it.

I ended up with 117 out of 180.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
108 out of 180. I totally winged it on some of the more modern stuff. Like I know anything about rap. The description accompanying my score is pretty accurate, tho. :)

I also like that you don't have to fill out anything at the end to get your score.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
120. And I will probably end up spending a little time on the sponsoring site. I starve for music.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat -- Emusic is definitely worth the service ... sometimes. I tend to subscribe for a month or two at a time and download everything I'm interested in. Then, it usually takes 6-8 months for them to get enough new music to make it worth me subscribing again. they only have stuff off indie labels.

devil -- but at least it's a wide range of pop trivia, for whatever that's worth.

robeiae -- Freebird! (Holds up lighter.)

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
Damn it! I suck at this. I gave up, I'm sorry :(

You were really nice to share, though.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
84, but I think most of my correct answers were based on my Scantron Skillz rather than my knowledge. College finally paid off. I'm not sure which stung more, not knowing any of the answers or being called a "Birthday Party DJ".

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
84, but I think most of my correct answers were based on my Scantron Skillz rather than my knowledge. College finally paid off. I'm not sure which stung more, not knowing any of the answers or being called a "Birthday Party DJ".
Poor Jay. :D

After I took the quiz I checked to see which ones I got right and saw that I got about half a dozen correct for questions where I was totally guessing, so my score could easily have been a lot worse.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Your final score was 111/180

Mix-Tape Master (109-144 points)
You are a music evangelist: the person in your network of friends who always has the coolest new song, the one whose iPod gets picked to DJ every party. You understand the art of the segue, how the key to the best mix-tape isn't just the songs you pick, but how they interlock with each other. You also know who the up-and-coming acts are and are quick to recognise where their influences lie and whether they will make it big. You work hard at the pursuit of this knowledge, scouring music blogs, magazines and record stores. Most importantly, you are generous with your passion – and your friends should be very, very grateful. Still, it’s always good to get new inspiration for your latest mix.

I think I scored higher than I deserved. This thing asked so many across-the-board trivia questions, I'm rather surprised I scored as high as I did. For example, the milimalist question - I recognized one of the modern composers, was pretty sure he IS a minimalist, and then correctly guess right among the other three names. But being age 50, I practally grew up with "roots rock", so the Proud Mary and Blue Suede Shoes questions were like shooting fish in a barrel. Even the saxaphone-on-a-Beatles song question seemed easy, I could play each one in my head and "hear" the one that prominently featured saxaphone.

Did I ever say I have 3,000 LP's? It could be over 4,000 as I haven't kept a good count, and I still buy them off and on...if that's any measure, I should have answered them all correctly.

This thing is definitely aimed at pro DJ's/pop musicologists/pop music history people, and not the easy "how well do you know the Beatles" type thing that I could ace in my sleep, and I'm not even the biggest Beatles fan.
Oh, I thought this was going to be a quiz on music knowledge, not pop trivia.
Yeah, I though it was a little misleading like that too...

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com

The minimalist symphony composers had me on the mat.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score

Anyone get this one wrong?
"Which of these bands is not from the place for which they were named?
a. Chicago
b. Boston
c. The New York Dolls
d. Mouse on Mars "

I almost got that wrong. But I was 95% sure none of the members of the band were actually mice, so that tipped me off.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com

Anyone get this one wrong?
"Which of these bands is not from the place for which they were named?
a. Chicago
b. Boston
c. The New York Dolls
d. Mouse on Mars "
I chose Chicago. :)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
111/180.

I must be really good at deductive reasoning... And in case you were wondering, I am a MIX-TAPE MASTER. :D