can you respond to a rejection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
I've been querying agents for a while and have been receiving lots of the standard form rejections. Yesterday I received a more personal note. Here's what the agent wrote:

"Thank you for the opportunity to read a sample of THE LAST SECRET. You have a nice storyline and a flair for storytelling. The problem is you've made a number of common errors that most writers fall victim to.

Placing fiction is today's brutal market is extremely difficult. Therefore, for me to commit to a project, I've got to not only love the story, but also love the writing."

While it's nice to get a note indicating the agent actually read my sample, the letter left me wondering what the agent was referring to. My question is, should I just move on or is it allowable to write the agent, asking for clarification of her remark?

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Sorry, Ken, but this is a form rejection too. The agent picked Phrase A, Phrase B, and Phrase C and merged them.

That does, however, mean that s/he actually read your sample, because of the phrases chosen.

Now--others may disagree, but I'd risk it and ask this agent if s/he'd mind pointing out a few of the errors. Just a few, not all, so it looks less like you're taking up too much of their time. It's probably a 50-50 shot they'll respond, but hey, you never know.

Back when I first started querying, I got "polite form rejection A". I didn't know yet that it was form, and I thanked the agent for taking the time to personally respond. She replied (without revealing it was indeed a form reject) and thanked me for, in essence, not telling her where to get off, and that my work was sheer genius. :)

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
As Lilly mentioned, Ken, that is a form rejection as well. It's from Molly Freeman at Halston Freeman Literary Agency, Inc., right? This is from an e-mail I received last December:

Dear Mr. Cordero:

Thank you for the opportunity to read a sample of A MAN AT WAR. You have a nice storyline and a flair for storytelling. The problem is you’ve made a number of common errors that most writers fall victim to.

Placing fiction in today’s brutal market is extremely difficult. Therefore, for me to commit to a project, I’ve got to not only love the story, but also love the writing.

As to your question, in general, it is okay to respond to a rejection by sending a thank you letter or e-mail. I do that for any rejections on requested partials and fulls.

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
You're correct in identifying the agent. Ms. Freeman apparently has a flare for rejection letters.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
There is very little to be gained from responding to rejections. Very few agents will clarify or elaborate on their reasons unless the rejection letter was very very specific about your work. And a response to a form rejection just clogs up their already overflowing mailboxes. Best case it is ignored -- worst case you've annoyed an agent you may want to query again with another project.

The only times I've responded to rejections are when there has been significant back-and-forth communication with the agent already. Usually, the agent has provided an extensive critique and asked to see a revision (if it happens). In those cases, I'll send a quick note thanking them for their time.

CCE

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Several editors that I know (on a personal not professional basis) tell me they are not interested in receiving responses; many of them seem to view it as "questioning their professional opinions".

As Mikeland stated tho, when the agent has taken the time to provide an extensive critique, it's a good idea to send them a thank you for their time - you might at that time ask if you can send them a revision.

Don't be disheartened by a rejection letter, form or not, many editors are really very pressed for time. It only bothers me when I don't get ANY response.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
"Dear agent:

Thank you for not being interested in representing my novel. I appreciate your taking the time to send me a meaningless form rejection, and hope that you will continue to reject my work in the future.

Yours sincerely,
A. Writer"

Doesn't make much sense, does it?

As others have already pointed out, thank-yous are for agents who've actually given you specific feedback on the material you've sent them.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Form letter or not, if you fear you are indeed making "a number of common errors most writers fall victim to" (man, that's not how I'd have phrased that), let us help. Post what the agent saw, or at least part of it, at the appropriate Share Your Work board with the request not for general feedback or critique but to identify specific errors. If they're really in there, people here can find 'em.

Maryn, who's seen it firsthand in her own "perfect" work posted here

Last edited:

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I do respond to agents who've rejected me, but only in the case of a personal rejection. For ex: one agent asked for a partial. Of course, I joyfully sent him one. He responded personally, and made some good points. I, in turn, sent him a thank you for his input. That's the only case in which I would respond. You might respond to this one and ask if the agent would be interested in reviewing the piece AFTER you make some revisions. It couldn't hurt.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
I have to say, what a horribly worded rejection letter. I know agents don't owe us anything, but it seems like most form rejections (and do I have plenty of examples to choose from, lol) are at least gentle no thank yous. That one seems needlessly unkind or at best thoughtless.

I'm so sorry you got that one, and I'm glad at least that Steve helped prove it's merely a form and not as truly you-suck-ish as it sounds. Yikes. I mean, GEEZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.