• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's Action Adventure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I'm a bit embarrassed to ask, but I googled this, tried the search engine here, and I'm still not clear on what it is. Please say it isn't a children's genre!

LOL, the reason I ask is because I received a rejection stating '...this is not well-written for a YA novel; as it stands, it's Action Adventure, which is something we don't represent.'

On the one hand, it's great to be sent in the right direction, but on the other, if my book seems geared to children even with all the violence and teen issues, I think I need to go back to writing class! Eek!

Thanks for any light you might shed on this genre. :)

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
hmm, I'd say an action adventure is kind of a story like Raiders of the Lost Ark; there's lots of fights, chases, and stuff like that. Then there's the going to exotic locales, seeking treasure or something like it. In general a fast-paced, thinly characterized entertaining piece that isn't so deep.

Seif

Registered
Reaction score
As above, read: Indian Jones

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

I guess I can live with that type of genre. It doesn't necessarily mean my book is a poorly written piece of crap...not necessarily. LOL.

I'm getting a little confused over this YA thing. My original understanding was it's a demographic, not a category, and that was recently reiterated by somebody's explanation of YA.

I've never seen agents who represent something called Action Adventure, though. Hmmmm....

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Also remember, it's just one agent. Don't go about changing everything just because one agent happened to choose the descriptive words "action adventure".

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Action Adventure.

Read bourne series, even though it's more thriller than adventure.

Simple

What's Action + Adventure? :)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
How about James Rollins? I think he typifies this, with exotic locals, the hunt/quest, danger and problem solving. At one time Richard Curtis told me I was a better action/adventure writer that I was a SF writer. I didn't know whether to take that as in insult or not. But I guess I have a ton of it in every book I write. My characters cannot stay in one setting before getting the hell out via, planes, trains, bikes, automobiles, boats or hot-air balloons. We're always on the fricken move.

ETA: Journey to the Center of the Earth--same stuff.

Also, believe it or not, I've heard that King Kong is solid action/adventure.

Tri

Seif

Registered
Reaction score
Lol,

Didn't you know they were doing a Bollywood version of one of Hollywood's most successful film franchise?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, the reason I ask is because I received a rejection stating '...this is not well-written for a YA novel; as it stands, it's Action Adventure, which is something we don't represent.':)

I'd guess that the agent is pointing you more toward the adult market than the child market. This particular agency apparently doesn't rep adult action adventure.

YA is a category that encompasses all genres: YA Fantasy, YA Romance, YA Mystery, and so on and so forth and including YA Action Adventure. The agent saw something in your book that to him disqualified it for YA. Could be too violent, could be the language or the tone, hard to say without further details.

Status
Not open for further replies.