Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
when you created something that resonates so clearly with you... something not real... that you actually want to experience it? I don't know how to explain what I'm thinking? I don't want you to think I'm just being vain about something I wrote... that's not it. I'm sure it's not great. I'm sure it could use a re-write. But sometimes when I'm going through my work and reading I catch something I wrote and think, "Man... I wish I could hear/see/touch/etc that"... or "Man... I wish I could go there!"

I just had one of those moments. I will copy/paste my example here. This is what I read:

About ten months after our first visit to the cottage, Teal’s next album was released. The songs on it were mostly written during our stay. What he created during the mornings in his hammock and the evenings by the bonfire eventually became known as On Paudash Lake – Songs from the North. But I knew them first. I knew them as whispers in the night as I fell asleep, and as background music that washed over me while I fished the depths of that perfect lake. The songs were like ghosts to me when we gathered round the turntable and listened to the album for the first time.

I want to buy that album. Writing about it... about its inception... I know the whole thing. I have titles for each song (though I didn't write them into the story). I came across this passage and I thought, "damn... I want that."

Do you ever make something just so vividly real (IN YOUR OWN MIND, THAT IS), that you want to experience it? Feel free to include sample passages.

(**I believe I posted this in the correct forum?**)​

megan_d

Falling in the milk
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I've told you this before, but I really want to red your book! One of the first things I can remember reading when I first came to AW was you discussing 'Sebastian's Poet,' and your descriptions of it have always struck a cord in me. I look forward to buying it one day. :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
**blush**

Thanks very much for the kind words, Megan.

How about you? Anything in your WIP that leaves you wanting to step inside?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like one of those albums I could write to, like my well-worn CD's by our local Celtic-folk group Pendragon.

I want to enter my fiction all the time. I'm working now on a chapter about a bookstore with a perfectly normal front section and a back section reached by a door with the Latin inscription: Quiscunque quaerat, intra (Whoever seeks, enter.) Beyond that door are shelf after shelf of modern occult books, all very well, but pass through that forest of dark knowledge, and you'll find climate-controlled cases of glamorous ancient tomes. These are the books of magic, as opposed to the books about magic, to use Susanna Clarke's conceit.

Plus Horrocke's Bookstore serves great coffee and even fresh-squeezed lemonade in summer. And it's in Arkham! Oh, if I could only be there...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've felt that way. I have a farm in my novel that I'd love to visit.
I'd also very much like to read Sebastian's Poet.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Not exactly the same but a similar thing happened to me the first time I read It. I was twelve and I wanted to be in the Losers' Club. Actually, I wanted to be Ben (even though I wasn't fat) because he got the girl. :D

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I also want to read your book, Kevin.

As to writing something that I really want to experience? Well, there's all the erotica I've written...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Not exactly the same but a similar thing happened to me the first time I read It. I was twelve and I wanted to be in the Losers' Club. Actually, I wanted to be Ben (even though I wasn't fat) because he got the girl. :D

That works too. I wanted to go to WORDFEST when I read Wonder Boys. The world was so vivid to me... I wanted to register!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read your stuff on purpose KTC. When I do, it makes me want to sin! :D

Gehanna

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I'm still wanting to see the green flash of the Key West sunset in my book.

And I'm always hopeful that one day Ernest's ghost will be in my backseat.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'd really want to go hunting in the Malayan jungle as described in my WIP. :) And the turtle scene on the beach -- it's so romantic that I wish I were there.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Trish...when I'm looking in my rearview mirror, I sometimes think of your Hemingway. (-;

Jordygirl

Nothing doing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redthebook.blogspot.com
Yeah, I get that sometimes. Like with this small part of Ash Creek....

------------------------------------
The IHOP, as it turns out, is pretty good. We have pancakes for dinner, which I haven't done since I was eleven years old. And it's good. It's fun. We joke about the stupid songs playing over the radio and about Ash Creek and about the other people eating at the IHOP - most of who are very old and probably out past their bedtime. But still. And every once in a while I'll catch Johnson looking at me with an expression on his face that I don't really know how to describe. He's just... looking at me. And when he sees me noticing he quick looks away from me.

"What?" I ask after, like, the third time I catch him.

"What what?"

"Johnson," I say.

He looks at me. Not looks at me like he was a few seonds ago, but just looks at me like normal. And he says, "Nope. You still have to go first."

"Well I'm not."

"Neither am I," he says.

"Fine then."

"Fine."

It's in this moment that I realize how awful it would be if we're talking about different things. But, I guess, since we're not saying what we're talking about anyways, it doesn't really matter. Right? And as we leave and run across the street, Johnson grabs my hand as we run across.

"Because of the rain," he says when we get to the other side. Which, it is raining.

So I say, "Of course."
-------------------------------------------------

Haha. I love that part.

Daehota

Registered
Reaction score
Plus Horrocke's Bookstore serves great coffee and even fresh-squeezed lemonade in summer. And it's in Arkham! Oh, if I could only be there...

Arkham! Wow, haven't heard that name for a while.

Daehota
wanders off to search the bookshelves

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I want to go to Sann' Ottrano, which is one of the cities in my fantasy WIP. None of the action actually takes place there but my MC is always trying to escape to it, and a few characters come from there, so I have it all worked out what it looks like, how it's governed etc. and I just want to go. To be honest, I want to visit all the places in my fantasy world, even Lann Carnoc, which stinks.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I want to go to Sann' Ottrano, which is one of the cities in my fantasy WIP. None of the action actually takes place there but my MC is always trying to escape to it, and a few characters come from there, so I have it all worked out what it looks like, how it's governed etc. and I just want to go. To be honest, I want to visit all the places in my fantasy world, even Lann Carnoc, which stinks.

Your worlds are so vivid, I can always see them so clearly, but until I read Dex, I never wanted to bash a whelk before :D.

Thing about Kevin's writing that I've been able to surmize from seeing small excerpts is, he's such a genius as a poet, and he brings that into his prose in a way that makes me feel almost imcompetent sometimes.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see the dragons' home, pre-war, and the demon monarch's castle is wierd--fun to visit but not to stay forever...

Susan Lanigan

Registered
Reaction score
That time when one my most respectable, conformist characters has a mini-meltdown and stops going to work, starts lying around in bed all day watching black and white movies, necking back bottles of wine and stuffing pizzas under the bed... I'm her, I'm there :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
It's not so much the places I want to visit as that I would like to know the people who populate my novels. Generally, I set my contemporary fiction in places I've already been. I use friends' houses and local stores as settings. So if a place shows up in my novel, it's a good bet it exists in real life.

But I totally want to hang out with my characters. All of them. I wish I knew them in real life.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
But I totally want to hang out with my characters. All of them. I wish I knew them in real life.

I sometimes get this too. Or, one character in my last novel... I just detested her. I wanted to put myself into a scene long enough to slap her face.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes get this too. Or, one character in my last novel... I just detested her. I wanted to put myself into a scene long enough to slap her face.

I have one of those too. I really wanted to give Lisa the slap she deserved because my male characters were too gentlemanly to administer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.