Agent etiquette: What's kosher?

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I just had a thought this morning and wanted to get your feedback before I do something stupid.

Just this week I received 3 back-to-back requests from agents for a full of my urban fantasy manuscript. I'm very excited about this, obviously, and eager for these agents to read the book and hopefully one will offer representation. I found it odd that no one asked for an exclusive, but I'm happy no one did because I can send it to all three at the same time. When I do, I'll obviously let each one know it's being read by 2 others as well.

Okay, here's the thing. I also have 8 requested partials I'm waiting to hear back on. I'm wondering if I should I contact the agents with the partials to let them know about the 3 full requests so that they can either: A) request the full; or B) decide to pass without further consideration.

Is this a considerate thing to do? Or just plain stupid.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say only contact them if you get an offer. Fulls and partials don't always lead to anything, and the agent might not care how many are reading. :)

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Yep. wait till you get an offer before contacting the partial-people.

One thing I might suggest is that when you query the next lot to mention how many agents ahve fulls and partials.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Do NOT say other agents are reading...send your MS and WAIT. Having that much interest is great but keep it to yourself.
Only contact them if you get an offer... really...and in your query?
(sorry Nakhlasmoke) NEVER EVER say how many have fulls and partials are out...it smacks of amateurism and an agent is NOT inclined to waste their time reading if halfway through you say you've accepted another offer.
I said nothing with LOTTERY- When Dorian and I gave a talk in New York to Literary Agents in Training at WMA she described her side of the story while I told mine and it was illuminating. When an agent gets something they feel is good they KNOW other agents will be interested...you don't have to tell them.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Do NOT say other agents are reading...send your MS and WAIT.

I agree - also with Toni1953. Don't provide information unless it is specifically asked for. Kind of goes for a lot of things in life. Orion was right: If an agent requests your work and they think it's good, they realize that others are probably reading/considering as well.

So, how many times have you checked your email today, Karen?;)

We're rooting for you!

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
This is great! Thanks, everyone, for your answers. I pretty much guessed it would be a noob thing to do, but I had to ask. You never know.

An interesting topic of discussion is that you often hear from agents on panels at conferences the importance of disclosure, but I'm guessing from what's been said (especially from Orion), that this is not the case. Keep everything strictly on a "need to know" basis. I'm good with that.

Thanks again, everyone, for putting in your 5 cents (inflation, you know). ;)

And Cate, I've been out for most of the day so didn't get a chance to check my email. The agents who requested fulls haven't received them yet so there's nothing to check for. Yet. :D I'm giving the ms one last pass before sending the file to Minunte Man Press to print copies for me.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I would not tell the three agents you are sending the fulls to about each other unless they ask.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Quite a fair few agents prefer to know when they ask for a full whether other agents are also reading the full.

They consider it a courtesy that the writer inform them.

It gives them an idea of how quickly to get on the manuscript, I think.