• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I'm too attached to my main character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, if I put this in the wrong thread, feel free to move it if it is. I have this problem with my first book. I planned to write the rest f my story in third peson POV, because first person is difficult to do right and it isn't suitable for the story I'm writing.

I felt that writing in first person POV is beneficial, because it's easier for me to write a character-driven story. It's easier to make the main character strong-willed and competent. She can make decisions for herself, she's always into challenges. She takes over the story. I didn't choose first person because of that, it was instincts.

Remember the critter I "ranted" about three months ago? He told me that I should write it in third person. I kept asking him why, what's wrong with how I've written it? I get no response from him. After reading some short stories, I finally figured out why third person was highly suggested, because one, The way I've written the story, and two, first person isn't suitable for a story like mine.

After writing a couple of short stories in third person, I felt that it was easier and more fun. But when I tried to write in third person in my story, I feel that something is holding me back, I don't know what it is. When I try to, I feel like I'm beig ripped in too. I'm being separated from Lily. It's hard for me to write in third.

I felt that I'm just too close to Lily. She's been in my imagination for six years. I just can't rip her out of me?

I need some advice. I know I'm asking too much from you, but It really hurts.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I recommend the change Blue. I tried for 2 years to write my current WIP in first person. Then I tried the third person POV and finally went with it.

If you are really 'close' to your MC, like I was, you fool yourself into thinking that he/she can't be written any other way that 1st person POV.

What I found, after switching to 3rd, was that it helps flesh out the character even more. The reason is that, for me, I am finally able to imbue the character with more character traits and personality than originally. Why? Because I was finally able to step 'outside' the character and make him more than 'me'.
In other words, I was able to allow him to see more, feel more, and do more and BE more than he could do when he was 'me'.

When the character was 'me' and 1st person, I was limiting him to being, doing, feeling, only those things that I had done, felt and seen.

Now, I have 'liberated' him from the trappings of 'me' and he has grown because of it. I can still have him think, act, look like 'me', but he is no longer shackled to my entire persona.

Does that help?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Thing is, if you write in tight third POV, it can be just as intimate as first person. You are still 'inside' their head, you still feel and see as they do, but you have some extra leeway too. Also the reader doesn't notice the 'narrator' so much - tight third is nice and unobtrusive, but still emotionally involving. There is no need for seperation anxiety, because you are still right in the thick of it with Lily, without having to actually 'be' her.

They only trouble I have is getting so far into their head I don't know when to stop and get on with the story already. :)

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
She may be more like you than you think ;)

My MC has always been written in third, but he is very much a part of me. LOL -- here I am, a grandma with an imaginary teenage guy looking over my shoulder all the time. And nobody sees him but me and a few beta readers :D

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Then that's not good.

If she's too much like me. I felt that we are completely different. I'm not as cold and calm as she is.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You know. I think I'll try it out. Write a paragraph and let you know how it felt. It won't be easy.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
It'll probably be a lot easier than you think. I'm the opposite. I prefer to write in 3rd person rather than first. However, since I LARP, I keep a "journal" for my LARP character, written in first person.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. Whenever I write in the 1st person I come to despise the character. What I'm doing now is writing from the point of view of a character in my story, who isn't me. Not sure what perspective this is? Third/first person?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I know how you feel about attachment to your characters, Blue. But maybe the time isn't right for you to continue writing about her. Maybe you should focus on another story, and a different set of characters, to hone your writing skill; then come back to Lily in another year or two and finish hers.

During the time you are working on other WIP's, you can always spend a little time tinkering with Lily's story. You might find new situations and character traits along the way as your writing improves. She'll still be there waiting, and you'll be a better writer so you can do her story justice.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
What RT said is exactly what I'm doing with an older WIP of mine. I adore the two MC's, but I was not at all skilled enough when I wrote them to do them justice. I'm in the process of improving those skills, so that when I come back to them, I can give them the treatment they deserve.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know how you feel about attachment to your characters, Blue. But maybe the time isn't right for you to continue writing about her. Maybe you should focus on another story, and a different set of characters, to hone your writing skill; then come back to Lily in another year or two and finish hers.

During the time you are working on other WIP's, you can always spend a little time tinkering with Lily's story. You might find new situations and character traits along the way as your writing improves. She'll still be there waiting, and you'll be a better writer so you can do her story justice.

I think that's a good idea. I still had some thoughts about the school shooting story, some serious thoughts. About what POV to put it in, the shooter in 3rd person? Or his sister in first?

I've written the piece in third person. I tell you, it's both enjoyable and uncomfortable at the same time. It's so much easier to flesh out Lily more.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddgfj8tv_7fxjvr3f7

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I tried it out and it's somewhat easier, but it's still uncomfortable. But it was a bit awkward. Instead of "I's" it was "She"

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Who has the most to lose? Who will learn the most important lesson?

Dale
Yeowch that's a hard one. I wanted Cain, because he's the kid being bullied and he's has Asperger's.

And his sister, Carrie. Well, it's his sister and her thoughts on him.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I think that's a good idea. I still had some thoughts about the school shooting story, some serious thoughts. About what POV to put it in, the shooter in 3rd person? Or his sister in first?

How about another option? Third allows you the option of having the viewpoint of more than one character, depending on what the story requires. So if you had a brother and a sister in the story, you could show scenes from the brother's perspective and show other scenes from the sister's perspective. With some thrillers, the author will even show scenes from the villain's perspective. It might open some different options.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
How about another option? Third allows you the option of having the viewpoint of more than one character, depending on what the story requires. So if you had a brother and a sister in the story, you could show scenes from the brother's perspective and show other scenes from the sister's perspective. With some thrillers, the author will even show scenes from the villain's perspective. It might open some different options.

I plan on doing third person. Do you mean omnicient? Or some POV switches.

With this second book, there's a lot to think about.

EDIT: I think this sort of reminds me of Carrie. (The book.)

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yes!!!! Writing from Lily's POV in third person rocks! I was able to focus more on just telling the story and the fight scene I'm writing is much easier. It's still going to be difficult to balance out the dialogue, which ruins the pacing everytime.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I plan on doing third person. Do you mean omnicient? Or some POV switches.

There are couple different types of third, including one that follows just one character throughout the book and another type that has multiple POV characters (POV switching). Omniscient is a different animal entirely and much more difficult to do--the narrator has a camera view of the story. An overly simplified description: In third, if your character is in a fight, the fight is shown through their eyes. So what they see is all the reader sees. In omni, the camera view of the story shows up not only the hero up to his eyeballs in trouble, but what's happening to his two buddies, too--even though they aren't in the view of the main character but are in the view of the narrator. Another example is two characters standing out in the street talking and the narrator shows the reader that someone is watching them. The two people don't know, but the narrator does. It can dip into the thoughts of characters, but it's not the same as the character experiencing the scene in third person.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are couple different types of third, including one that follows just one character throughout the book and another type that has multiple POV characters (POV switching). .

I know what you mean. POV switching? That was in Carrie, but it was really confusing when you read it.

But it is possible when your write in third person, you don't really know exactly what you're writing? Like when I wrote from Lily's POV in third, it sounds like omniscient, when it should be limited.

jbryson

Registered
Reaction score
After writing a couple of short stories in third person, I felt that it was easier and more fun. But when I tried to write in third person in my story, I feel that something is holding me back, I don't know what it is. When I try to, I feel like I'm beig ripped in too. I'm being separated from Lily. It's hard for me to write in third.

Go ahead, write the first draft in first; then change the I's to she's, and the me's and my's to her's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.