Opinion re: Southwestern Mystery

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
In the markets for westerns at the top of this western forum, there's a note from Cowboys and Indians magazine about the Tony Hillerman annual mystery writing contest. This year (and possibly other years), the mystery must be set in the southwestern US and must include at least one cowboy or one native American character. The mystery must be no more than 2,500 words, the deadline is 9/15/08, and the pot's sweet ($1,500.)

The question: in your opinion, with the qualifiers listed above, should the mystery be set in the classic western time period (app 1840 - 1920) or could it be contemporary? I'm interested in your thoughts on the subject. Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link and opinion, Grizzly. I was a bit surprised by the storyline of last year's winner. I thought a mystery was supposed to be more of a Whodunit rather than a why. Puma

Grizzly

Registered
Reaction score
The guidelines for Hillerman's mystery novel competition says the heart of the story needs to be a murder or other serious crime. But I guess the criteria for the short stories allow for a more artsy approach.

So now you can quadruple your bets. Two traditional westerns: one whodunit, one why. Then two moderns of the same. ($40 dollar entry for a better chance at $1500.)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jeanne - Thanks for the compliment, but ... it's not a mystery and it's too long. I've been thinking about a mystery for about a week and started on it last night. I think when the ghost challenge is up at the end of April we ought to do a Hillerman mystery challenge and see if we can get a couple folks to actually enter the contest. The winner gets to go to the conference in Santa Fe too. What do you think? Puma

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a mystery in the planning stages that might work, if I have it in submittable shape by September.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
My philosophy is always "Nothing ventured; nothing gained." I think we ought to venture (and the western forum seems to me to be a more appropriate place to post them than mystery - with the cowboy and/or Indian requirement.) Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
That's quite a coincidence, Colorado Guy. I'm buzzing along on my story which is set, pretty much in Santa Clara and Santa Fe. And I do have a question. It appears that there are prizes awarded at the Indian Market held in August. Is that a fact? I spent five weeks out there forty years ago and I don't think there was even any competition back then, just the market beside the Palace of Governors. The Indian Market is central to the story I'm working on so I'd love some more information on it. Thanks a bunch. Puma

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
That's quite a coincidence, Colorado Guy. I'm buzzing along on my story which is set, pretty much in Santa Clara and Santa Fe. And I do have a question. It appears that there are prizes awarded at the Indian Market held in August. Is that a fact? I spent five weeks out there forty years ago and I don't think there was even any competition back then, just the market beside the Palace of Governors. The Indian Market is central to the story I'm working on so I'd love some more information on it. Thanks a bunch. Puma
I'm not aware of any literary prizes, but there is a quite a bit of art stuff. The event is massive now, mostly art and jewelry from all the tribes in the region. We live a couple of blocks from the plaza and walk down there to take it in, because believe me, there's no place to park. It's sponsored by the Southwestern Association for Indian Arts. Here's their website. You might give them a call if you want details about things that aren't on their events calendar.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and link, Colorado Guy. I was actually interested in competition/prizes for the Indian arts - I've seen photos of pots with prize ribbons beside them and notations about the pot being an award winner at the Santa Fe Indian Market but so far I hadn't been able to find any definite information. I think your link will take care of that. Thanks again. Puma

Last edited:

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
An AW Cowboy Mystery Challenge for May? Heck, that sounds like a good idea to me! Insofar as Western time periods go, I don't believe there is an end period. I've read westerns set in the modern times - Louis L'Amours "Haunted Mesa" as an example, that I enjoyed every bit as much as his classic westerns. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm putting a May challenge post in SYW and I'm also going to put a post in mystery genre so they know we're doing a mystery for our May challenge. Puma

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My take on time period is that unless one is specified, you're free to use whatever suits your story. Personally, I might shy away from the "classic" western period and the contemporary simply because I suspect most of the contest's entries will be set in one or the other.

Of course, all that depends on me coming up with some sort of idea. There's always a catch, eh?

Maryn, tipping her hat to the Western writers

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Look out, Puma. You tell me about a contest and SNAP! I'm there. At this point in the year, I would have to say WHOOPEE more than twenty-five times if I won a thing like this. There would be dancing Snoopys all over the place. I need a little boost to my writer's confidence. It's been saggin' way too low!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Impression

I sent an entry for the Hillerman Mystery Contest last week and today got an e-mail acknowledgement of receipt. I'm impressed. No matter how I do in that contest, I'll have a very positive feeling about it. Thought I'd pass that on. Puma