Movie Lots of People Hate That You Love...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have a "Worst Movies" thread. What about the movie(s) that you love that everyone you know can't hate enough?

For me, it's Closer. I know so many people who can't stand that movie, and I can understand why they don't like it--mostly because it wasn't what they expected, and I respect that--but it's still in my top 5 favorites. It's based on a play so yes, it's mostly dialogue and very little actual plot, but that's exactly what I love about it. Damn I love that movie.

Anyway, what flicks do you like that other people you know hate? Share damn it...

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I love Closer too.

A film nobody saw (but the few who saw, hated) is one of my guilty faves, New Best Friend. Awful in nearly every way a film can be without starring Jessica Simpson or the guy from Manos, but...nope. Can't explain it.

The Hole.

The Smokers.

A hatefully addictive film called Tart with Dominique Swain.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Said this before in the super he-man crying thread, but...

Bicentenial Man
A.I.

(These two really got nailed, and I don't think I'll ever understand why). Okay, Robbin Williams was a bit corny in the roll--but who else could have pulled it off? Don't answer that!

I certainly DO understand why Xanadu got the biggest slap in the face, but dang it, I didn't watch it for the skating or music. I am an Olivia N. John Oggler, plain and simple. I end my prayers with her name.

I'm definitely a Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome raving fan. I don't think these two were well-received. Well, maybe Warrior.

Tri

CDarklock

Yes!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darklock.com
Event Horizon.

Whenever I say that I loved this movie, a bunch of people publicly complain that I have hideous taste, but a couple others usually PM me that they loved it too.

See, we're the underground. We're cooler than you. ;p

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Said this before in the super he-man crying thread, but...

Bicentenial Man
A.I.

(These two really got nailed, and I don't think I'll ever understand why). Okay, Robbin Williams was a bit corny in the roll--but who else could have pulled it off? Don't answer that!

I certainly DO understand why Xanadu got the biggest slap in the face, but dang it, I didn't watch it for the skating or music. I am an Olivia N. John Oggler, plain and simple. I end my prayers with her name.

I'm definitely a Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome raving fan. I don't think these two were well-received. Well, maybe Warrior.

Tri

I liked those too, Tri. :) Well, except for Xanadu. I've heard of it, but never watched it.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Almost forgot:

The Gods must be Crazy, one and two.

The original The Gods Must Be Crazy was a critical and commercial success, so I think the haters are in a minority. ;) I haven't seen the second one.

My husband and I both loved America's Sweethearts even though it was a giant bomb at the box office. I think people didn't get its mix of romance and bitter snark.

thecraftteens

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, but "Catwoman" wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was a critical and commercial flop though. Fans of "Eragon" didn't really like the movie, but it was okay also. Apart from John Malcovich's role as Galbotorix.

Oh yeah, and "House of Wax" was great too. Most people I know just went to go see Paris Hilton get killed.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
The Blair Witch Project.

Scared the hell out of me when I saw it in the theater.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
My sis and I really liked The God's Must Be Crazy-laughed so hard we cried.

I also really enjoyed America's Sweethearts-gotta love John Cusack.

I'm not sure if this was a flop or not-but hubby and I literally can't breathe from laughing when we watch Four Rooms -in particular,the 3rd scene "The Misbehavers" funniest thing I've ever seen.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm going to misspell this, sorry in advance...Caliglia, an amazing movie that grosses people out because of the sex and violence but Peter O"tool or is it richard Harris, always get those two mixed up... Love that flick...

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
How about Movies Lots of People Love That You Hate?

Casablanca. Can't stand it. Of all the gin joints in the world, yap yap yap. I just don't get the love, although my friends and family react as if I simultaneously killed a kitten and defecated on Old Glory when I say this.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I loved About Schmidt. I don't know if everybody hated it, but everybody I know hated it.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
How about Movies Lots of People Love That You Hate?

Casablanca. Can't stand it. Of all the gin joints in the world, yap yap yap. I just don't get the love, although my friends and family react as if I simultaneously killed a kitten and defecated on Old Glory when I say this.

I may be wrong here but I think you have to turn your writers card in if you hate Casablanca. "I came here for the waters", But rick Casablanca has no waters," "I was misinformed."

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Casablanca? meh.

Kevin, not turning in his card.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Cabin Boy: The movie equivalent of literary fiction.
Barb Wire or was it Barbed Wire? It just wasn't that bad.
The Quick and the Dead would have been okay if Sharon Stone could just stop crying in every movie. Suck it up, Sharon!
I really liked Jackie Brown because Pam Grier is cool.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
I don't know, but "Catwoman" wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was a critical and commercial flop though.

This is one of my guilty pleasures, and not because of Halle Berry. I rather enjoyed the cat and mouse fight scenes and a few other details. And Alex Borstein. She always cracks my up.

Pike

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Aagh, Don, you liked Caligula? It made me want to reach for the brain bleach.

A. thank you for the spelling.

B. Thank you for agreeing that most people can't stand this movie.

To this day my fav part is when the drunken guard is forced to drink 10 gallons of wine with his pepe tied off before Caligula slices his belly open. You can't get quality like that these days....

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like all kinds of B grade horror movies that most people can't stand. I love those 70's martial arts movies with the bad lip syncs.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Definitely Closer.

Lost in Translation.

About Schmidt is great -- I don't know anyone who hates it, though.

Atonement.

I also liked AI and Vanilla Sky.