Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I went to a large conference 2 years ago. The registration fee included one 15-min. appt with an agent and one with an editor. You had to register early, tthough, because once the slots were filled, that was it.

Both requested a partial, and both eventually passed. But the networking I did there was absolutely worth the price and time.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Here's the thing: this is almost certain to get a request for a partial. That's how the conversation ends, with her saying, "Okay, please send me the first fifty pages."
So... you know that one sentence pitch you created on your ms? Now make it a 30 second (max) verbal pitch. Yippee, two or three sentences. Still, you'll be ready w/ follow-up...non-fic, why you're the person to write this; fic, appealing to readers of Kallos and Brooks. Whatever.

To answer your actual q, ya, I did the pitch thing once.
re how to get time, if you've nothing scheduled, then you're going to get your sweet self out there and network, create opportunities for contact, thank her for her presentation after her presentation, buy her a drink, tell her how impressed you were w/ her sale of x by y and of b by c. (You'll know all this because you researched.)

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I pitched to a Tor editor at Writercon, a con for - GASP - fanficcers. They filled slots in advance, first come first served. All of us were starry-eyed noobs to the publishing process, and our pitches were, shall I say, reflective of this. She asked for fulls on many of the pitches, including mine. We were all thrilled beyond the telling, at least until she mentioned on her blog later that she'd never, ever, never accepted a ms obtained through a pitch session. And then she quit her job anyway, so it was all painfully moot.

Ah well, it did get my first novel finished, so it was still well worth it. Plus, there was a spanking demo at the con for people who wrote erotica, so there's that, too. :D

WishWords

Registered
Reaction score
I pitched a couple of weekends ago at a conference. I requested a slot when I registered and shortly before the conference they gave me the name of the agent I would sit down with for ten minutes. However, prior to that appointment there were two cocktail parties where we were encouraged to pitch to agents. It was very educational. Of the six agents I pitched to, four asked for partials. The other two were very nice and gave advice even though they weren't interested in my manuscript.

If you are going to do this, you need to really work on your pitch. You should go armed with three of the five versions of your story: log line (one or two sentences), pitch (one or two paragraphs), and short synopsis (one or two pages). You start with your log line. If they seem interested, you move on to your pitch, then the conversation starts. You probably won't use the short synopsis but it's good to have on hand to refresh your memory.

**Very important note** If you can't tell your story in about a dozen sentences, you will make the agent's eyes glaze over. This is a bad, bad thing. I saw it happen repeatedly. Practice on your friends. When their eyes start to wander, you've gone on too long.

P.S. The other two versions of your story are the long synopsis (seven to ten pages) and your manuscript.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: Melody, I read this line to my DH and he demanded to know why *I* don't go to any of these conferences! :tongue

Hahaha! Tell him there's another one happening next year and HE'S INVITED!!!! I don't even want to tell you the things I saw that weekend, but suffice it to say my friend and I sat there holding hands in vanilla terror and watching like this: O_O O_O.

PS We also learned about writing. Heh.