Are there pros & cons to pseudonymns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kree Atv Khurz

Registered
Reaction score
More Experienced Friends,
Have any of you published a memoir and used a name not yours as the author?
I've finished a long memoir and hinted at racy behaviour to explain events and am beginning to suspect I might have more success at selling it to an agent and publisher if I add more details, something I'd prefer not to do if I don't have to.
I already use fictitious names for most real people and places, but some names must be revealed for the benefit of readers and credit to those named truly. I don't care about detective types, just want to save good people embarrassment. If I use more detail to pander to baser tastes, it would help protect others if I use a pseudonym as author. Have you had experience with this; and how do you see the pluses and minuses?
Thanks, Kree

Docknboatlift

Me Too

I am also wondering about the use of an assumed name for authorship-for a variety of reasons.

Is this common, and what are the pros and cons to doing this?

Thanks

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've used a pseudonym for a couple of projects I've done. The positive side is that it's very freeing to be writing as someone else; the downside is that your regular audience won't know it's you. General publishing wisdom says if you don't have a compelling reason for a pseudonym, don't do it--or if you do, make sure you stick with that name for other projects (or until you get so famous writing under your own name you can re-release your alter ego's works).

Zoe King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoeking.com
'If I use more detail to pander to baser tastes, it would help protect others if I use a pseudonym as author.'

I'm not sure I understand the logic in this. If you're using 'more detail to pander to baser tastes', wouldn't those 'good people' you want to protect still be compromised whatever author name you choose?

When I started out, I used pseudonyms to differentiate between the various kinds of writing I did. The problem was though that it created all kinds of confusion, not the least being the name on the cheque! I agree that unless you have a very sound reason for doing so, there's little point in using a pseudonym.

Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.