didn't even get rejected - just silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigstimpycat

tired of waiting months & spending $ for u.s. postal rejections, i decided to go cyber. after researching theatres' wants/needs/previous productions/current seasons, i sent brief emails to the artistic directors of several professional companies that claim they are looking for new scripts. i mentioned my credits, (i have several published scripts),& gave a brief synopsis of my latest script with breakdown of cast needs, set requirements, etc. i figured it would be easier & quicker for the a.d. to look at & reply to emails than u.s. post. just hit "reply" & say "please send sample pages" or "no thanks."

only 1 theater out of 20 bothered to respond - with a rejection, of course. the a.d. was kind enough to say that he liked the script but it wasn't right for the audiences he tours to (i disagree or i wouldn't have offered it to him - if he'd read a few pages, i think he would've been interested). he said he prefers email queries but apparently, he's the only one who does.

how hard is it to hit reply & type a few words?! i suppose they might have mistaken the note for spam but i made sure the tag was "new script" & i sent it to the theater website & not a personal address.

fume fume.

Last edited:

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi bigstimpycat,

I know absolutely nothing about selling scripts to theaters, but I applaud your efforts! I send out a lot of queries to magazines and never get a response, so I feel for ya. Hang in there - we're all here suffering right along with you.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I think most of us have had the no response thing happen.

If it really gets on your nerves, do what I do, and don't submit to them anymore hehe. I just search back in my submission records and see who I do get a response from. I do prefer to hear something so I make it a point to submit to those people.

It can be frusterating I know. We just want to hear something !
Good luck :)

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
On March 25 I sent e-mails to 8 agents who had failed to respond to two snail-mail queries sent 5 and 2 months ago. As of today, exactly 1 of these people has answered.

There are some agents who have reached amazing heights of arrogance and rudeness.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, it just comes with the territory. I get it all the time--even from editors with whom I've worked.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Happens to me all the time as well. It sucks, especially as the hope dwindles after weeks of silence.

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
Arrogance and rudeness?

I know what rejection feels like, but calling the agents arrogant and rude just because they don't answer your query seems harsh. There's a good chance they never received the letter, and just as good a chance that if you look on their website they will have a notice explicitly stating they do not answer to submissions they are not interested in.

So far I've had four queries that were never answered. Three of the agencies stated on their website that they would not answer unless they wanted to see sample chapters. The fourth stated that he would respond within two months to every query he received. To me that means that he must not have received my query, so I should send it again.

I've never called an agent to see if they got my submission. I've heard that's the surest way to make sure you get rejected. I figure I'll just keep querying until I get someone to look at my sample chapters; that's where I'll be able to make the sale.

And that's where you'll make the sale, too. Don't bother chasing after an agent who isn't interested--find someone who is willing to give you the chance you deserve. It'll take a lot of work to find that one other person, but you will if you just keep at it.

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Hey, bigstimpycat:

I once served as dramaturge for an L.A.-area theater, and I can tell you from that experience that it sometimes took me months to respond to a writer, and I was trying my best. Many theaters have low or no budgets and a volunteer dramaturge who reads in his or her rare spare time. I don't know for sure, but it could be that a few more of those theaters will get back to you.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
aertep, that is really helpful to know! I know nothing about submitting to theaters but if that's a common scenario, then my best advice based on that would be to just keep working on other projects and getting more stuff written/submitted.

I know, the WAITING is frustrating and then not to get a reply is like salt on an open wound. It burns, it stings, it makes you want to pull your hair out. Unless they state they don't reply on rejections, I think you should follow up at some point. There's always a chance something didn't get through their spam blockers.

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
I've had my agent two years now, back when I was looking for an agent I sent out a mess of query letters out, by e-mail and snail mail. The other day I out to my mail box and there was a letter, one of my SASE --it had taken this agency two years to respond to my query. I had long ago written them off my list as not responding. Didn't bother to let them know I had an agent since they never responded in a such a long time.

LOL

Two years and they ask me, we'd love to take a look at more of this. I admit I was a bit surprised. Did they think I was just waiting around for them--for two years? Yikes.

So it can take awhile--I just wonder why they never responded to any of my follow ups.

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Greenwolf103 said:
aertep, that is really helpful to know! I know nothing about submitting to theaters but if that's a common scenario, then my best advice based on that would be to just keep working on other projects and getting more stuff written/submitted.

I know, the WAITING is frustrating and then not to get a reply is like salt on an open wound. It burns, it stings, it makes you want to pull your hair out. Unless they state they don't reply on rejections, I think you should follow up at some point. There's always a chance something didn't get through their spam blockers.

Thanks, Greenwolf103. Looking back, I think it would have been good if I'd had a system of responding to each submitter, perhaps just a form note that said "I've received your script and I will get back to you within X months." But I had no funding for regular mailings, and I was a poor actor/writer myself!

And in response to SRHowen, you're right. Two years is way too long. I hope every playwright out there practices the art of multiple submissions wherever possible.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
This behavior is becoming more and more common. Many agents' websites now say that they only respond if they are interested. If you don't hear from them in two months, you can safely assume they're not interested.

I understand how busy they are, but this very basic courtesy should be the cost of doing business. Especially with email queries, how difficult can it be to hit Reply and say "No thanks, not for us." Heck, you could automate this.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
The other problem is that if you don't hear anything, you're never sure if it means "not interested" or "query was lost in the mail/cyberspace".

For both email and snail mail queries, it doesn't cost anything to reply except time. I understand they're deluged with queries, but I still think it's professional and courteous to reply. If we're expected to be professional and courteous, they should be too.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Queries

bigstimpycat said:
tired of waiting months & spending $ for u.s. postal rejections, i decided to go cyber. after researching theatres' wants/needs/previous productions/current seasons, i sent brief emails to the artistic directors of several professional companies that claim they are looking for new scripts. i mentioned my credits, (i have several published scripts),& gave a brief synopsis of my latest script with breakdown of cast needs, set requirements, etc. i figured it would be easier & quicker for the a.d. to look at & reply to emails than u.s. post. just hit "reply" & say "please send sample pages" or "no thanks."

only 1 theater out of 20 bothered to respond - with a rejection, of course. the a.d. was kind enough to say that he liked the script but it wasn't right for the audiences he tours to (i disagree or i wouldn't have offered it to him - if he'd read a few pages, i think he would've been interested). he said he prefers email queries but apparently, he's the only one who does.

how hard is it to hit reply & type a few words?! i suppose they might have mistaken the note for spam but i made sure the tag was "new script" & i sent it to the theater website & not a personal address.

fume fume.

If they don't want e-mail queries, then it's ridiculaous to expect a reply. It might not be too hard to reply, IF you are sending the only e-mail they receive, but if you're sending unwanted e-mail queries, you can bet many other writers are doing the same. There will also be many real e-mails they need to answer, and all sorts of spam they have to deal with.

And if you sent an e-mail query to someone who doesn't want e-mail queries, it IS spam, and spam of the worst sort, no matter how you labelled it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Professional

brinkett said:
The other problem is that if you don't hear anything, you're never sure if it means "not interested" or "query was lost in the mail/cyberspace".

For both email and snail mail queries, it doesn't cost anything to reply except time. I understand they're deluged with queries, but I still think it's professional and courteous to reply. If we're expected to be professional and courteous, they should be too.

Professional and courteous means never, ever sending an e-mail query to someone who wants only snail mail queries. Saying it doesn't cost anything except time means you don't understand how valuable time is, and how many other writers are also soaking up time by also sending unprofessional and discourteous e-mail queries.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not talking about sending email queries to agents who don't accept them. I agree that emailing a query to someone who doesn't accept them and then expecting a reply is unreasonable.

I'm talking about agents who don't reply to a snail mail query when a SASE has been enclosed, or those who say they accept email queries and then don't bother replying to them.

I do understand the value of time. My time is just as valuable as theirs. If I've taken the time to write a professional and courteous query, provide exactly what they've asked for in their guidelines, and enclosed a SASE or emailed an agent who accepts email queries, then I deserve a reply. Anything else is just rude.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
brinkett said:
I'm not talking about sending email queries to agents who don't accept them. I agree that emailing a query to someone who doesn't accept them and then expecting a reply is unreasonable.

I'm talking about agents who don't reply to a snail mail query when a SASE has been enclosed, or those who say they accept email queries and then don't bother replying to them.

I do understand the value of time. My time is just as valuable as theirs. If I've taken the time to write a professional and courteous query, provide exactly what they've asked for in their guidelines, and enclosed a SASE or emailed an agent who accepts email queries, then I deserve a reply. Anything else is just rude.

Well, maybe. But having been on that end of the stick, I can tell you it isn't always that simple. It would be nice to reply to everyone, and most agents do their best, but there simply isn't always enough time. Many writers think an agent's job consists primarily of opening, reading, and replying to query letters in hopes of finding new writers, but for many agents there may be one or two hours a week to do this, and there may well be two or three hundred queries. And every week you can't get to them all puts you that much more behind.

In slow times, you try your best to respond to every query, whether it's a yes or a no, but sad to say, there sometimes comes a point where you either have to hire someone else to do the reading, which can defeat the whole purpose, or you just open and stuff rejection slips in without reading anything, which also takes times, or you weed through looking for any that stand out on the outside, and toss the rest. Neither of these is really fair, so you usually do what works best and is fairest for all concerned. . .you open each query, read through, and only respond to the ones you have an interest in.

Sometimes there are just too many wannabe writers, and too few hours in the day, or the month, to deal with them all.

I don't think rude has anything to do with it. Agents need writers, yes, but they don't need hundreds and thousands of queries from writers, most of which have no chance at all of getting a yes, and all of which take more time to deal with than you can possibly find.

Some agents are now doing what many magazines also now do, which is to only reply if the answer is positive. If the writer hasn't heard anyting within a certain time span, usually two or three months, he should assume the answer is no and move on to the next agent.

And I can also tell you this. I could always tell if a query was of the generic shotgun variety. . .which is a query that's exactly like a dozen or more similar queries the writer sent to other agents with only the name and the address of the agent changed. I didn't feel bad at all about not responding to those. Like all the other agents who received them, I figured someone else could speak for us all. I simply didn't have the time.

Your time may be just as valuable as that of an agent, but so what? I don't know why people think this changes anything, or matters at all. The agent is concerned with her time, not yours, and there's never, ever enough of it. How valuable your time is doesn't put one extra second in the week for her. When there isn't enough time to respond to everything, there isn't enough time, and even if your time is worth a million dollars a second, there still isn't enough time.

If you really want a reply, never send generic queries. Show the agent exactly why you decided to query her instead of someone else. Show her you know about her agency, about the books she's handled, etc.

If going snail mail, use good envelopes and good paper so your query will stand out from the two hundred others in that stack that are all typed on whatever was on special at Wal-Mart that week.

Most important of all, write something she'll say yes to. Agents always respond when something worthwhile comes in.

SRHowen

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
If you really want a reply, never send generic queries. Show the agent exactly why you decided to query her instead of someone else. Show her you know about her agency, about the books she's handled, etc.

If going snail mail, use good envelopes and good paper so your query will stand out from the two hundred others in that stack that are all typed on whatever was on special at Wal-Mart that week.

Most important of all, write something she'll say yes to. Agents always respond when something worthwhile comes in.

Which is why in the example query letter I posted I do just that, it shows you took enough time to research their agency and didn't just fire off a hundred "I just changed the addy and name," or worse yet used mail merge.

It's posted under the rejection thread if anyone wants to see the sample query letter I posted.

As to paper, I have some good quality cream colored paper with a header. It has a nice embossed gold bar across the top and down one side. Yeah, it cost plenty for the box of 100 sheets. But I only use one per agency, and I use it for other things. My envelopes match, the ones I send the query in, my SASE envelopes are just generic white security ones that can be put inside the fancy one, which is slightly oversized so I don't have to fold the SASE.

I'm not sending agent queries these days, but I am shopping around some shorts.

A query is a job application. Sometimes you hear back on a job application sometimes you don't. If you are qualified for the job (written something outstanding) and presented yourself in a professional manner then you'll hear back. If their isn't a job opening then you can't expect to always hear back.

Pencilone

Muse Lover
Registered
Reaction score
bigstimpycat said:

fume fume.

I honestly feel for you and for everyone else with similar experiences.

By the look of it, they certainly do not act like they are interested at all in discovering new writers. Which makes me think: why waste quality paper for them? Instead of assessing the quality of the paper, they should be assessing the quality of the writing (if they actually get to read it and not just look at the paper).

If they really are short of time, they should accept emails, as email is the fastest way to read and reply (no time wasted with stocking/ordering/cutting the envelopes, printing a reply, etc). If it is crap anyway, why waste so many trees on it? In this computer age, a smart software program can easily clean up the garbage and sort some queries for them from Spam.

I don't quite understand why waste paragraphs talking about the agent in the query, when it is obvious that the simple fact that the writer has sent him a query implies that there were reasons why he was the chosen one. Why waste time with talking about the agent, instead of getting to the real point that is talking about the story that it is available to sell? If I were short of time, I would not like to receive mail telling me how wonderful I am, but I'd like concise writing about exciting stories (but hey! maybe this reveals something about the agent's character?). The story should stand by itself.

But the consolation is that if they act like this, they are not worth it.
Better move on to the next one on the list, as it is their loss, not yours!

Best of Luck,

Pencilone

Eussie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.unendinglove.com
Jamesaritchie said:
Professional and courteous means never, ever sending an e-mail query to someone who wants only snail mail queries. Saying it doesn't cost anything except time means you don't understand how valuable time is, and how many other writers are also soaking up time by also sending unprofessional and discourteous e-mail queries.

My time is valuable too. I'm a full-time mom, full-time graduate mathematics student, novelist, and artist (to pay the bills...www.unendinglove.com).

I spent a lot of time researching my targetted agents, at bookstores and online. I wrote individual queries. And then I get form responses from most of them.

My favorites are ones like Ethan Ellenberg, who request a "self-sealing' SASE so they can reject you faster. I even found one agent who wants you to write their return address on the envelope so they don't have to when they reject you.

I'm sorry for spouting off but I am sooooo tired of hearing their time is valuable and mine isn't.

Eussie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.unendinglove.com
Pencilone said:
I don't quite understand why waste paragraphs talking about the agent in the query...

I am 100% certain that the reason the agents say this, is if one hundred per cent of the queries they receive had that paragraph, the agent wouldn't have to waste their valuable time in rejecting unsuitable queries (for example, the wrong genre). All this bull about doing your homework is to cut down on the work an agent has to do, and it has nothing to do with impressing them with your research skills.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Many writers think an agent's job consists primarily of opening, reading, and replying to query letters in hopes of finding new writers, but for many agents there may be one or two hours a week to do this, and there may well be two or three hundred queries. And every week you can't get to them all puts you that much more behind.
Sorry, but it takes two seconds to stuff a form letter into a SASE or to hit the "Reply" button and type "no". There really is no excuse. If they've taken a few seconds to scan a query, tacking another few seconds onto that won't kill them. I'm not expecting detailed feedback. I am expecting a response when I've provided everything they've asked for, in the manner they've requested. Most agents DO manage to do this. So there's no excuse for those who don't.

I don't think rude has anything to do with it. Agents need writers, yes, but they don't need hundreds and thousands of queries from writers, most of which have no chance at all of getting a yes, and all of which take more time to deal with than you can possibly find.
Well, today, the only way to approach an agent is through a query. If that system isn't working for them, they should come up with something else.

Your time may be just as valuable as that of an agent, but so what? I don't know why people think this changes anything, or matters at all. The agent is concerned with her time, not yours, and there's never, ever enough of it. How valuable your time is doesn't put one extra second in the week for her. When there isn't enough time to respond to everything, there isn't enough time, and even if your time is worth a million dollars a second, there still isn't enough time.
It's a matter of treating people with a modicum of respect. That's what it's all about.

It's this sort of attitude that kills me. That if the writer isn't getting a response, it's the writer's fault because s/he's used poor quality paper, or placed a stamp on the envelope that doesn't appeal to the agent, or not stroked the agent's ego enough. Please! You'd think the part of the letter that actually describes the novel would count for something, but apparently it's somewhere near the bottom of the list when considering whether to reply.

And what's worthwhile is subjective. So they should respond to anything that comes in that's decently written. Some don't.

A query is a job application
No it isn't. When you submit a job application, you're asking that someone agree to pay you in exchange for your time/skills. That's not what you're doing when you approach an agent. You're presenting an opportunity to make THEM money.

As a newbie who has recently started to query and learn about the publishing biz, what's amazed me is the disdain that some people already 'in' the biz have for new writers. It's been a real eye-opener.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
In slow times, you try your best to respond to every query, whether it's a yes or a no, but sad to say, there sometimes comes a point where you either have to hire someone else to do the reading, which can defeat the whole purpose, or you just open and stuff rejection slips in without reading anything, which also takes times, or you weed through looking for any that stand out on the outside, and toss the rest. Neither of these is really fair, so you usually do what works best and is fairest for all concerned. . .you open each query, read through, and only respond to the ones you have an interest in.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. If the agency says that they are not accepting querys, then fine, throw them all out. But if they are asking for queries, then they owe the courtesy of a response. Every one of us has parts of our jobs that are time consuming and "wasteful", but we do them because it's the cost of doing business. I have to attend meetings, answer phone calls and email even though this drains time away from my job of programming databases.

I would even argue that this practice of nonresponse is counter productive for the following reasons:

1) If the agent simply throws queries away unopened (unless she doesn't need new clients or projects), will never find the occasional gem. Why ask for queries in the first place?

2) If she opens, reads, then tosses those she's not interested in, she invites a re-query letter from the author asking if she received the original query. I contend that sticking a form rejection into a SASE or replying to an email is more efficient.

3) A serious writer who does not receive a response will not try that agent again (at least I won't). This means that over time, the agent will only receive first-time queries from first-time writers. The chances of finding a publishable story then drops to near zero. This is self-defeating.

Professional courtesy is not something you do because it is in some rulebook somewhere. You do it because it works.

Last edited:

SRHowen

Registered
Reaction score
As a newbie who has recently started to query and learn about the publishing biz, what's amazed me is the disdain that some people already 'in' the biz have for new writers. It's been a real eye-opener.

No one here has shown you disdain. In fact those of us "in the biz already" are trying to help you. You might not agree, but then why should I care? Sheesh.

Those of us with books out there, or with good agents know how we got there, we know how others got there. So we are offering you the advice based on our experiances.

Take it or leave it--but if you don't "get in" don't say that no one tried to help you.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
SRHowen said:
No one here has shown you disdain. In fact those of us "in the biz already" are trying to help you.
Relax. I wasn't referring to anyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.