Learning to play

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Not sure if this belongs here or in OP - mods, please move if I'm wrong.

Some time ago, when I was about to head off travelling, I bought a harmonica with the intention of learning to play. Seemed like the ideal travelling instrument, 'cos it's tiny.
As it turns out, I am about as musical as a brick, and I never did learn how to play, though I did get as far as the physical ability to play a single, clear note, which I understand is quite hard on a harmonica.

So, my question is this - how should I go about learning to play this thing? I have a book, but that didn't seem to help. I met a guy a few weeks back who played and tried to get him to teach me a few things, but he didn't hang around long enough.

Any ideas? And please bear in mind my level of musical expertise (that of a brick) and use appropriate terminology. :)

Thanks!

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Hey Jimmy. I'd recommend starting with YouTube. It looks like there are a whole bunch of beginning harmonica lessons posted there. Man I wish they had YouTube when I was younger!

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey Jimmy. I'd recommend starting with YouTube. It looks like there are a whole bunch of beginning harmonica lessons posted there. Man I wish they had YouTube when I was younger!
No way, there's useful stuff on YouTube? Wow. Nice idea, thanks III!

As a side question to this thread, do you think it's possible that I'm just bereft of any musical talent whatsoever and should give up before I waste a lot of time? Or is music something that can be taught to anyone?

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I think anyone can learn the mechanics of making music on an instrument if they apply themselves, especially the piano. If you want to learn to play a song, I honestly believe it's just a matter of hard work, repetition, and dedication. Now if you want to be able to compose or improvise, that's another level entirely, but it all begins with the hard work. If you pick a three note progression and play it a thousand times, it doesn't matter what your musical ability is, you're going to be great at playing those three notes.

Plus even if you don't end up sticking with the harmonica I don't think it's a waste of time. You'll have a greater appreciation of other harmonica players and of music in general; you'll understand what they're doing and why they're making certain musical choices.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yup, hard work and practice until your lips fall off.

Part of the reason I could play the guitar or the piano as best as I could was that I was an impatient child. I just couldn't sit still and practice for hours every week. I gave up when I hit the wrong notes once too many times, or when the guitar strings hurt my fingers. It wasn't because I couldn't understand the techniques or the musical theories. I just had no patience for it. Now that I'm older, I wish I could have done differently.

I liked the harmonica and I could actually played decently. It's been at least 20 years since I've played one, though.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Back to an old thread with new questions. :D

First one is regarding keys. So many people have tried and failed to explain the relevance of keys to me. As far as harmonicas go, I know you can buy them in the key of C, or in the key of G - but what the hell does this mean? They have different notes on them, I guess. But then I hear that by playing 'cross harp', I can play my C harmonica in a different key. Huh? And what exactly is the importance of a key anyway? This has to be the thing I'm most confused on.

The other question is, you say practice - but, practice what, exactly? I've heard of people playing scales - that would be just going up and down a sequence of notes, right? How does that help? Or should I just find some songs and play those? I leant how to do the train, or choogle from a YouTube video (thanks, III!), and that's sounds pretty cool, so I'll be practising that whenever I get a quiet moment. But what else?

Thanks again for listening!