• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Page Formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruzilla

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on my first novel after being a technical writer for the Navy for many years. I've been writing in the same format as my technical manuals and I know it's not the right format for a novel. I am using 11 pt. Arial, single-space, with 1" L/R margins. For the purposes of estimating the page length of my novel, what font, line spacing, and margins should I be using?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Methinks Courier 12 is still the traditional standard, tho' some magazine and novel guidelines I've read allow Times New Roman 12 too. Use whichever you find easiest on the eye. You can't go wrong with 1" margins.

Just saying, I prefer writing in Verdana font, when I want to check pagecount or prepare a document for submission I can highlight the entire doc and change the font and style to double spaced Courier 12 in a couple of seconds. The marvels of the word processor. :)

<slaps head> Almost forgot! There's a thead in our FAQ section that covers mss. formatting:

FAQ: Cathy C's Formatting Manuscripts for Submission - All your questions answered!
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26126

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.