Worst.Idea.Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to put in my claim for having the worst luck in picking a piece of dialogue (or story idea, theme, protagonist name, what have you). I wrote the first draft of a short story a few months ago, and just got around last night to doing the final edit. The opening sentence leads into a few paragraphs where you realize the secondary character is certifiably insane. While that's all well and good, I might have to wait a few years to begin submitting it if I keep the first line:

“You know the Pope is a robot, right?”

Anyone else willing to embarrass themselves publicly? :tongue

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Ssh: ...Just remember...from time of being bought to the time of being published sometimes takes a year or two.....maybe it will be ok then.;)

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hard lines, Mark. Really bad timing!

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
The next pope might be, since the latest one has now moved on. The line could work. You'll have to wait a few weeks and see who the College of Cardinals elect. Should be interesting. I'm lobbying for the Nigerian cardinal to be the next Pope.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Probably not the next one -- to keep up with the current political correctness fad, it'll have to be a black gay woman. (Sorry, couldn't help it! :Ssh: )

My sympathies to all Catholics here.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
CACTUSWENDY said:
:Ssh: ...Just remember...from time of being bought to the time of being published sometimes takes a year or two.....maybe it will be ok then.;)

Sometimes it's only six months, though. Depends on the magazine. As a Catholic, I'm not offended by that line now that they're electing a new one. I say go for it, and don't cut that beginning sentence.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
What is it with these popes? Talk about inconsiderate. The new one's called himself Benedict...which just happens to be the surname I write my erotica under.

Now I'll probably burn in hell for blasphemy.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Lol. He is a robot, isn't he? Don't they just change the face every 20-25 years or so? Go figure?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Arrow Queenie! An erotic pope! Yep...You're halfway to hell now. Is it gettin' hot yet?!

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
Are you kidding? With an opening line like that, true, I wouldn't submit it to a Christian magazine, but at teh same time- what a line! I want to read it!

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
Let's just say that the opening line is one of the least offensive things about the story. :eek:

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
Mark Anderson said:
Let's just say that the opening line is one of the least offensive things about the story. :eek:

oh really...

::perks up ears::

do tell!

mindelei

Registered
Reaction score
Mark Anderson said:

Okay, you've DEFINITELY got to share this story!!! Erotic, non-erotic, whatever... curiousity is at 130%!!! :poke:

Mindelei

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I read in the paper that a Christian radio show host was fired after asking a caller if he thought the Pope was in heaven yet.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, duh? Why is that offensive? (Use simple words and concepts in your explanation, for those of different faiths and middling IQ, okay?)

Maryn

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
Uh, duh? Why is that offensive? (Use simple words and concepts in your explanation, for those of different faiths and middling IQ, okay?)

Maryn

I have no idea. The newpaper didn't outline the specifics, and I can't figure it out. But then, I wasn't popular in Sunday School--I asked too many questions.

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
Kutcher said that he had wanted to go to Rome after the Pope died.

While the Cardinals were picking the next one.

Then after the new pope was picked, instead of releasing smoke, Kutcher would come out and tell the world they had been 'Punk'd' (that Pope John Paul was actually still alive and his death was just a prank), then after the shock wore off he would introduce the new pope.

Kutcher was disappointed that the Catholic Church turned him down.

They felt that pretending that Pope John Paul was still alive in order to pull a prank on the world would somewhat lessen their stature and be in poor taste.

It was in bad taste because if you are Catholic it makes light of your faith, and at the expense of the Vicar of Christ, the putative representative of God here on earth for nearly 2000 years.

If your just a dumb okie like me, it's in bad taste because most folks frown on using the recently dead for comedy bits.

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
I admit it. I'm secretly Anonymous Author, and also Simak. I stole my own million-dollar idea. Because I'm a robot.

With a Badge!

Paolo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dumpsternet.org
Mark Anderson said:
I
“You know the Pope is a robot, right?”

Anyone else willing to embarrass themselves publicly? :tongue

Don't blink. Don't flinch. That's a brilliant line. I'm imagining a surgeon deep into brain surgery or a bomb squad technician at work in the sun. Great possibilities in dropping that line.

It's a keeper.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mark Anderson said:
If your just a dumb okie like me, it's in bad taste because most folks frown on using the recently dead for comedy bits.
Let me go on record here--if one of you can make a really good joke out of my recent death, once it happens, go right ahead. I would have enjoyed it!

Maryn, recalling SNL's Generalissimo Francisco Franco jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.