? about PA and movie rights?

tenpenynail

Registered
Reaction score
Is it normal in regular publishing that the publisher say they have a right to 50% of any movie rights that may happen???

That's seems steep. I was offered a contract, but after reading about PA here, I think it's a bad idea.

Many have said my book would make a good movie, so I want to be careful about those rights.

thanks in advance!
TPnail

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Don't sign anything PA gives you. If you're not convinced yet, keep reading.

In the meantime, run away. Run far, far away.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
Is it normal in regular publishing that the publisher say they have a right to 50% of any movie rights that may happen???

That's seems steep. I was offered a contract, but after reading about PA here, I think it's a bad idea.

Many have said my book would make a good movie, so I want to be careful about those rights.

thanks in advance!
TPnail

Quick answer: NO.

A real agent will get you connected to a film agent. It's a whole different ball of fish. as it were.

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
Another aspect is that books become movies when (1) they become hits, and/or (2) someone in Hollywood finds them and loves them.

Neither is within the reasonable bounds of possibility with PA.

thecraftteens

Registered
Reaction score
Besides, we don't want PA getting any bigger than they already are. If your book becomes a movie, some people will see it and want to read the book, and some of those people will see PA's website and get sucked in.

DON'T sign ANYTHING with them...unless you want to forfeit the rights to your book for seven LONG years. If you're into POD, go with Lulu.com

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Also, let's face it, anything published with PA odds are will never end up being optioned as a movie anyway.

DON'T sign ANYTHING at all with PA. run away. (Yes I know others have already said this but in this case repetition is a good thing, there's no such thing as too much negative press for PA.)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
One: Don't sign with PA unless you're into obscurity, mockage, and have deep pockets so you can buy your own book many times over.

Two: Legit publishing contracts usually have a clause asking for 50% of the movie rights.

Three: You can--with a legit publishing house--negotiate that clause and have it removed from the contract.

Contracts with a legit company are always subject to negotiation.

I doubt PA would ever give up any means to squeeze money from the unwary.

My first 6 books had that 50% clause. There was some interest from a couple studios. They put down a whole 100.00 bucks to secure the rights for a year, then never renewed.

This happens all the time and small amounts of cash are the rule.

Still, the next contract I signed I got the film rights back on the old deal as part of the next deal. I'm still waiting for another movie offer.

Here's a research exercise: check the titles of EVERY movie made in the last 5 years and see just how many of them were based on a book.

Call it a cold splash from the reality bucket.

Unless it's a runaway NYT Bestseller for months on end (see Da Vinci Code), the odds are high against any novel going to film or TV.

The only time I've ever heard of a PA book mentioned in the Times was when they paid for an ad.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA481863.html

http://www.lisamaliga.com/epublishing3.htm

The latter link is an excellent cautionary tale of an author getting screwed over by PA, well worth the read.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I've heard that PA requests ridiculous things when a movie company does show interest, in order to kill the deal.

That's because PA would be literally unable to supply the books if there were any substantial demand.

I'm still waiting for Shelly's Diary to come soon to a big screen near me. Or to be released. Or to be completed.