Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dysonforums.com
So I made an error.

I found a local woman in the small ads in the local church rag to clean up my text before Research Guy formats it and it goes to Lulu. I went to see her first, explained what I wanted in regards to American/UK spelling etc and various details. She is a retired English teacher who assured me of a super job.

I cant afford to pay a huge price, so her services and proclaimed skill seemed to fit the bill. Her study is crammed full of grammar books, dictionaries, you name it.

So tonight I went to collect the finished product on disc. She even made a report highlighting the areas she had corrected and claimed to have spent many hours on it.

To cut a long story short, here is some text from the e-mail I just sent her:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a problem.

I sat down and started to go through the revised text. I am unable to use it. It is littered with so many errors just in the first 20 pages it makes me want to cry. This is going to delay the launch date. Just to start with.........

• Inconsistent dashes of differing sizes not spaced away from letters.
  • Inconsistent punctuation inside/outside speech marks.
  • Spelling errors.
  • American spelling.
  • Double and even triple and bigger spaces between words.
  • Incorrect colon usage.
  • Incorrect word usage that changed the original intent.
  • Hyphens removed where they should actually be (and were)
As I write this I am only up to page 21, I cant continue. I am going to send the original off to a proof reader/copy editor to be done from scratch.

I appreciate your effort and time expended and I have no doubts at all about your integrity and intent, but I am afraid this is not what I paid for and its not up to the mark.

If you doubt what I say, I can print the 1st 20 pages and highlight all the issues as an example.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So I need a copy editor, pretty quickly at a reasonable price. (I dont mind if the finished product is US or UK spelling)

Does anyone here do this? Can anyone recommend anyone?

Manny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dysonforums.com
57k words, in MS word.

I would like it last week really :tongue but flippancy aside, I dont need it by a particluar time, although I was hoping to have it [the book] available this month if at all possible but that is looking doubtful now.

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
I'm in the UK and do this sort of work. If you want to contact me privately, we could talk further. I'd be happy to supply references etc and do a short sample before coming to any agreement.

veronie

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.preferredword.com
I feel for you, Manny. She may have spent many hours on it, but may not have known what she was doing. It is probably a sad revelation of the quality of English teachers in the U.S. But I hope not.

I hope this gets worked out for you.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the shout out, Voyager! Manny, I'd be happy to help. If you haven't made other arrangements, PM me. We can chat about my details and find out if we're a fit or not.

In any case, good luck!

Last edited:

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I tend not to let English teachers touch my work with a 10-foot pole, mainly because they get OVERLY corrective and take out any style in deference to what is "proper." But this woman sounds like she should not be teaching English in any way, shape, or form.

Good luck finding someone else to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.