• I'm not ready.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • What is SYW?

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Anthony Matias

Registered
Reaction score
Do you post your work in SYW? I have found that it's a valuable resource that everybody should consider doing at AW.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I did once. Was shot to pieces. Now I am trying to glue my pieces back together. :e2beat:

I'm glad you had a good experience though! :)

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear some people find it useful. But I don't post in SYW, for what would probably come across as incredibly obnoxious reasons. But, in any case, nope. And I don't plan on it.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And now to answer you, Anthony.

No, I don't. If I want a critique of my work, I ask people through email or PM to read a story or an excerpt from one of my novels. I'd rather do it that way.

Anthony Matias

Registered
Reaction score
Do you???????

Yes.

I've found it to be wonderful and sobering at the same time. I know if I ever get to a point of actually submitting my work to an agent, I will at least have had the opportunity to know what people thought was good and bad about my MS and then maybe I can address it before I submit. I have had some negative crits, but all-in-all, it's a very useful tool for me.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
No. I've got a pretty solid set of betas and critique partners, so I feel very well set for guidance on my projects. I figure I should leave the resources of SYW for those who are still seeking their ideal critique partners/writing groups/etc.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I've posted but only received a few responses--all of them very helpful.

Like rhymegirl..if I want a critique of an excerpt, I'll ask through PM or will post to see if anyone is interested. That way you don't have fifteen different opinions :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't post there often, but I have a few times. Each of them has gotten me at least some feedback that I could use to improve the work.

The negatives? It's hard to ignore the critics who say they don't like the opening, or the character, whatever, without being specific enough that I see what they're getting at, and those piss me off. It's also hard to blow off people who tell me how to rewrite the work the way they'd write it rather than making any effort to stay with the voice or tone I've chosen. (Suggesting that a casual conversational tone lose all its slang and contractions, for instance.)

Still, I've found it valuable overall--and once in a while, you get high praise that makes you both confident and giddy. I got one of those this week.

Maryn, still floating

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I like tossing mine to the dogs now and then. Random critters can give valuable insights into how easily things can be misread, if nothing else.

It is also interesting to study the critters. Some of them are very odd bugs :D

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
It took me all day just to get up the courage to post in the 'do you post in SYW' thread! I read the crits there and I always leave a rep to thank those brave people who do post there, and I thank the critters for their comments on other's work, because it is tremendously helpful, but I am much too chicken to post my own stuff there.
dancing%20chicken2.gif

Anthony Matias

Registered
Reaction score
I don't post there often, but I have a few times. Each of them has gotten me at least some feedback that I could use to improve the work.

The negatives? It's hard to ignore the critics who say they don't like the opening, or the character, whatever, without being specific enough that I see what they're getting at, and those piss me off. It's also hard to blow off people who tell me how to rewrite the work the way they'd write it rather than making any effort to stay with the voice or tone I've chosen. (Suggesting that a casual conversational tone lose all its slang and contractions, for instance.)

Still, I've found it valuable overall--and once in a while, you get high praise that makes you both confident and giddy. I got one of those this week.

Maryn, still floating

I know what you mean on the negatives. It's not a perfect process and definitely subjective, but it gives people an opportunity to get their work in front of someone especially if they are new to AW or don't belong to a writers group.

Does critters count?

Yes Spooky. I was thinking about putting in that as a choice in the poll. I think criting is a great thing for people to do and an essential part of the growth for the writer positive or not.

Anthony Matias

Registered
Reaction score
It took me all day just to get up the courage to post in the 'do you post in SYW' thread! I read the crits there and I always leave a rep to thank those brave people who do post there, and I thank the critters for their comments on other's work, because it is tremendously helpful, but I am much too chicken to post my own stuff there.
dancing%20chicken2.gif

I was scared as hell after I posted my first piece! Then when I got back a nasty, crappy crit, I tried to take the positive out of it and went from there.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Yes Spooky. I was thinking about putting in that as a choice in the poll. I think criting is a great thing for people to do and an essential part of the growth for the writer positive or not.
I probably have a few critiques posted where the original poster never returned. Why? I don't know. But I think critters here are becoming harder to find. I haven't done a critique in a few weeks.

Anthony Matias

Registered
Reaction score
I probably have a few critiques posted where the original poster never returned. Why? I don't know. But I think critters here are becoming harder to find. I haven't done a critique in a few weeks.

Do you have a writing partner or beta that you share your work with?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do. But not for every story. If I'm not real confident with a story, or think it's not quite right, but can't figure out the problem, I'm apt to post it there. If I'm pretty happy with what I've written, I won't. Some stuff I'll ask individuals to crit for me.

Almost always it's a good idea to have another pair of eyes read what you've written before you submit it.