Down yer pants?
In yer purse?
Under yer hat?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No.

I did accidentally steal one from a public library, though. It got packed with a bunch of my other books when we moved once.

I sent them money for it, so I made restitution. :D

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I peel the security bar out of the books and stick them on random people's purses / coats. Does that count?

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I ever shoplifted was a birthday present for my mom when I was 7 years old. I remember it clearly -- I took a pair of knitting needles. Does she knit, you ask? Why, no, no she doesn't. Not quite sure what I was thinking there, but she made me take them back.

But if I were to steal a book, I'd bring a big, fake stomach a la Jane's Addiction's Been Caught Stealing video.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
STEAL A BOOK? :crazy:

My daddy once told me that if I ever stole anything to make it worth the prison term that would come with it. I don't think a book would be worth that. Another one he told me was to never steal from where you work.

STEAL A BOOK?..........:Wha:

Nope. (Did steal a penny candy when I was about 4 years old. My dad was not pleased at all. Was last time I did that.)

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
My foray into lit-crime was when I was about 14 or 15. Stole a couple of motorcycle magazines from a convenience store. Got caught by the store owner. Was very ashamed, and realized that crime, for me, was not not going to pay.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
reason for the thorny thread

Why do you ask Anis?

This is incredibly humiliating to admit, being that I'm all grown up now, from a technical standpoint, at least, but well you see I was clicking through the tv dials yesterday and settled on watching an old rerun of "Different Strokes," (think that's the name?). The episode was about pint-sized Arnold who shoplifted a comic book as some sort of gang initiation right. The shop owner threatened to put the 10-year-old in jail, ignoring a bribe offered by Arnold's wealthy father. Didn't see the end of the show, which was probably continued, so it sorta stuck in my mind. And well here I am posting a thread on the subject...

ps And I've been known to steal a kiss now and then ;)

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Four Quartets by TS Eliot. Then I got a job at that very bookstore! I believe I paid for that particular transgression through sweat equity. Funny thing too, about that book. After the theft I wandered around the mall for awhile. I noticed a large crowd gathered in the shoe dept of one of the large anchor stores, so I checked it out. A deeply tanned and smiling George Hamilton was pitching a line of shoes or something and signing autographs. Well you know I ponied up and had him sign my purloined tome. (Too bad it wasn't Poe!)

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
This is incredibly humiliating to admit, being that I'm all grown up now, from a technical standpoint, at least, but well you see I was clicking through the tv dials yesterday and settled on watching an old rerun of "Different Strokes," (think that's the name?). The episode was about pint-sized Arnold who shoplifted a comic book as some sort of gang initiation right. The shop owner threatened to put the 10-year-old in jail, ignoring a bribe offered by Arnold's wealthy father. Didn't see the end of the show, which was probably continued, so it sorta stuck in my mind. And well here I am posting a thread on the subject...

ps And I've been known to steal a kiss now and then ;)

I've been know to sell a kiss every now and then...LOL

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I peel the security bar out of the books and stick them on random people's purses / coats. Does that count?

Wheeee! I did that too! My friends thought I was mean.

Um, I have a reference book my chem prof loaned me for a special project....I'm counting it because I feel guilty about it.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book of racial jokes a professor loaned me. He wrote it.

EDIT: I think it's disgusting. How he got by with that is beyond me.

Last edited:

Daimeera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daimeerafic.livejournal.com
I stole a ball from a dollar store once.

By accident.

See, I picked it up near the beginning of our shopping trip, and by the time we were ready to pay for things, I was so used to the feel of it in my hand that I forgot all about it. Left the store, got halfway to the car and I was HORRIFIED to discover I still had it. My stomach dropped, I told my mom, we went back and paid for it, and everything was hunky dory . . . but I've never forgotten it.

I think I was only about 5 or 6 at the time.