Marrakech

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Winston Churchill visited Marrakech several times (and did some painting there). You might see if you can find anything by Googling to see where he hung out. Puma

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
We were there a couple of years ago. Loved it. I can't remember the exact names of places we visited -- I'll dig through my old papers and PM you with specifics. We had a terrific guide who took us all around the city for a day. I'll get you his name, too.

We also stayed in Essaouira for a couple of days, and drove through the Atlas mountains. I recommend doing that if possible.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'm on the train to Bangkok, aboard the Thailand express. I'll hit the stops along the way, and only stop for the best.( actually I've always fancied travelling overland to Hong Kong...dream holiday)

We're going for four days ( just us two too, woooooo kids at nanny's). I can't wait. I though it was going to be too expensive, but a four start hotel ( inc flights) is cheaper than going on the train and staying in a crappy two star hotel in the red light district of Paris for a night less. Although the art galleries/ architecture make up for the hotel room..( the Musee D'Orsay had an exhibition of interior design as art the last time we went... god gods! fabulous -- best museum I have ever visited, which is why I keep going back)

Back on topic dear. OK.

I've heard the Royal Palace in Marrakech is interesting. Anyone been? And how covered up should I be? I don't want to offend ayone, but my shorts are usually pretty damn short.

ps -- my hubby was alarmed to note: Morrocan immigration reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone they don't like the look of, and I quote 'scruffy hippy people, or those with dreadlocks' Hubby reckons I may well get the holiday n my own :)

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, well I can't find the name of our tour guide, but I'll ask my husband if he has that later. He keeps everything.

As far as attire, I kept it pretty modest while I was there. I usually wore linen pants and a not-too-tight top, but short sleeves seemed to be fine. Marrakech is very cosmopolitan in that it gets many European tourists, especially French, so if you do wear shorts they will not be shocked.

Definitely go to the souk. (Djemaa el Fna) It's both crazy and amazing, and wander around the vendor stalls checking out all their stuff. I picked up some cute caftans for the beach and a bunch of colorful scarves for next to nothing. You'll see snake charmers and people with all sorts of crazy tricks. Tip: don't let them put a monkey on your head for a picture. Gross.

We stayed at La Mamounia, which is this old historic hotel in the center of town. There is a huge, beautiful enclosed garden there, and several nice restaurants. The Morrocan restaurant at the hotel is fabulous for a fancypants night out. Eat there if you don't stay there. It's lovely.

Dar Si Said is worth a trip. It's an old palace that is now a museum of Moroccan crafts. I also liked El Badi Palace and everyone goes by the Koutoubia mosque (it's near the souk). You may walk around it but non-Muslims may not enter. It's a lovely setting, though, with huge gardens nearby.
Don't do the Agdal Garden. It's not worth the effort.

Just so you know, the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well in Morocco, let's just say. Be prepared to say "No thank you. No. NO" a lot. They were more assertive there than anywhere else I've been, and I've done a fair bit of travelling. Maybe assertive is the wrong word -- no one hassled me. Insistent. That's it.

If you find the time to leave the city and go to Essaouira (or Agadir, or anywhere in between), I'd be happy to give you my thoughts. There are some fantastic things to see and do.

Have fun!!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Yep!

Cover up please! Long sleeves, long trousers or skirt and in the churches and mosques drape you head and shoulders. Never mind what you do at home, this is a cultural courtesy in a country very different in culture to your own.

The palace is well worth seeing as are the mosques and churches. It's a long time since I was there, but it is lovely to wander the market, (souk,) a guide helps, and don't be openly shocked by the beggars and the obviously poorer standard of living. 'Smile and nod' is a good rule.

Ask before taking photos with people in them. A general one of a market won't hurt, but one of a specific stall and stall holders might give offence unless you ask.

If your husband has long hair then he can tie it in a tidy pony tail can't he? Many countries have a 'standard' and if you don't want to be given a rough time with a body search and drug search that rips your suitcase and clothes to pieces at Immigration do look tidy. It's standard these terrorist days that younger men will get a thorough search and baggage check, it's less likely to be rough if you look like a regular citizen and not a geriatric hippy.

Last edited:

Metaphor

twiftie
Registered
Reaction score
The palace was quite good, but much better with a guide to explain the history of the place. Otherwise it's just a few empty rooms. The gardens in the centre were gorgeous, though.

The souks were wonderful, and the Djemma al Fna was amazing - vibrant and bright! But be prepared to say no, and barter your heart out.

Enjoy your holiday! I had great fun, I hope you will too!

Poppy