Petco & Petsmart: Not so great, akshully

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Here is the conversation I had at both a Petco AND a Petsmart today:

Me: You don't have any Russian tortoises right now, but you have signs up saying you carry them. Do you have any idea when you'll be getting some?
Them: No. Our boss has a list of animals he orders from each week, so potentially we COULD have Russian tortoises, but I have no idea what his plans are.
Me: Could you maybe tell him I want one?
Them: We don't order animals based on what people want. [I'm serious, they said this.]
Me: Okay, so... can I maybe get on a list or something?
Them: No, there's no list.
Me: Well... if I give you my phone number, can you call me when you get some?
Them: You could give me your phone number and I'll put it right here on the desk, but honestly, nobody is going to call you. They just aren't.
Me: Uh... right. Well, thanks for being honest. I guess.

:Headbang:

Anyone have any extra, perhaps redeeming, insight into this before I write a snarky letter to corporate headquarters?

And yeah, I would be going to pretty much any independent petstore if I could, but I live in a hell of chain stores. We're now looking into making a trip out of the county, but I have to make some calls...

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Go ahead and write a letter of complaint. But, whatever you do, don't go to any store that sells puppies or kittens (probably from puppy and kitten mills).

I usually have good results if I write polite letters of complaint.

Also, the sales people may not be to blame. I have worked retail and in some places, the managment won't allow the workers to do anything or let them know anything.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
We don't order things based on what people want? Damn. That's nuts.

I once had a woman at a store tell me that they quit selling the item I wanted because they couldn't keep it on the shelves. I nearly fell over. I'm no business genius, but damn... (The store went out of business about three weeks later--surprise, surprise.)

Write the letter of complaint. It may not help, but 'jumping on someone's desk' always makes me feel better.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
lol.

That's why I found a local pet supply store. I don't go into box pet stores. The one I go to... they are knowledgable and friendly. They want my business... they are competing with idiots who run big stores with a dollar sign as the bottom line. I only use them for a special dog food I get my girl... and a crazy amount of toys and collars... but they know their animals and pet products.

Find yourself a small one before they're all gone. And research them to make sure they have nothing to do with mills or abuse.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Petco employees could have saved my life and I would STILL encourage you to write the letter.

Snark is one of my favorite things on earth. Nothing will get in the way of my love of snark.

WRITE HARD!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
The snark has been sent.

And I'm not worried about blundering into a pet store that uses puppy/kitty mills... I'll investigate, but honestly, this is California. People here care more about their dogs than they do about their children.

I actually looked at tortoise adoption, but the organizations that do this require you to fill out an extensive application form, and many of them require you to attend MEETINGS. By extensive I mean you have to write an essay about how you intend to care for the animal, how you will protect it from dogs and other animals, and then you have to send them photos or a video of the "enclosure" where they will be housed. Enclosure? I'm sorry, I have a box with a light on top.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but you should never buy an animal from a pet store. The big pet chains' idea of what constitutes a "reputable breeder" would break your heart. Petland can kiss my rosy red...well, whatever.

Go to a shelter or rescue. If you really want a specific breed, contact your local American Kennel Club for a list of reputable breeders, most of whom will not ship. Some will even ask for references.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just meant... if you do decide to leave the box stores behind and go to a tiny store, just check it out. I love my pet store...so does my dog. She gets treats and spoiled with affection when we go to get her food. When I say, "France, you wanna go to <insert store name here>" she beats me to the car.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but you should never buy an animal from a pet store. The big pet chains' idea of what constitutes a "reputable breeder" would break your heart. Petland can kiss my rosy red...well, whatever.

Go to a shelter or rescue. If you really want a specific breed, contact your local American Kennel Club for a list of reputable breeders, most of whom will not ship. Some will even ask for references.

Firstly, I am looking for a tortoise, not a puppy or kitten, but just in defence of Petco and Petsmart, both of them (in my area) do not sell "breeds" of either animal. They host weekend adoptions, where animals needing homes are brought in from their foster homes and shown for adoption.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not specifically slamming Petco or Petsmart, but other big box pet chains that sell animals.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are tortoise rescue organizations--I think there would have to be, because tortoises are so long lived. Let me check.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I have a fish tank. It's 47 gallons. I have three awesome fish. Two African ciclids and one arawana (chinese dragon fish) he'll get up to three feet long. Yes I'm saving for a bigger tank. They like other fish for dinner.

Although I have a fresh water tank easier to deal with than salt water. If you do get a saltwater tank make sure the fish you get for your tank were not caught in the wild but raised on a farm or something like that. Like I said I do not have a saltwater tank so I haven't really looked into it but I know there is an organization to protect our fish friends.

Same thing goes for birds especially parrots.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
When our dog Missy was still alive she wouldn't let us brush her, so we had to look for a groomer. My sister called up Petsmart because they had an in-store groomer. When she said that Missy was a Shetland Sheepdog the gal on the other end asked, "What's a Shetland Sheepdog?"

We took Missy to a different groomer.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Try doing a search for reptile shows in your area. There are many, all across the country. Breeders bring their animals to the shows, and many pet shops get their stock from them. The prices are more wholesale, as opposed to retail from a pet store, and you get to select from sometimes dozens of the same breed of animal, so it's easy to find a nice healthy specimen. We get our reptiles from the show in Westchester or the one in Pennsylvania, but there are lots of others.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I found something!!! About 45 minutes south of us, there is a HUUUUGE reptile store. It does shows and other things other than just selling, and it has been featured on the news. Apparently it's very reputable, etc. I called them and they actually gave me info... apparently Russian tortoises are seasonal in terms of birth. He said they have none right now, but they will probably get plenty next month. Yay!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My snarkiness has yeilded results. I decided just to make the complaint to Petsmart rather than Petco since Petco people were nice and not particularly irritating. So here's the note I got from Petsmart, the manager of the store I went to:

I would like to apologize for the way the PetSmart Associates conducted themselves in front of you the day of your visit. I will assure you that we are taking matters on this issue and will train our associates to handle these issues.

Your business is important to us and would like to extend onto you a $30.00 gift card. In regards to the tortoise, If you are still interested in the tortoise, we will try our best to obtain a Russian Tortoise for you. Again, I would like to offer you my sincerest apology and hope to see you again soon. If you have any questions regarding this matter, feel free to call me at [number].

I do appreciate the gesture, but I noticed that...

1) They didn't actually apologize for any of their stupid policies. I wasn't complaining about the employees per se, but about the realities of store policy that they chose to convey to me.

2) Also, uh, what coupon? It wasn't attached or included in the email... which specifically states that it is no-reply. So that would mean I'd actually have to call up the manager and bother him for it? Er, no.

A few months back I made a complaint to Borders headquarters, and they absolutely won my service back. Petsmart... sorry guys, not going back.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My snarkiness has yeilded results. I decided just to make the complaint to Petsmart rather than Petco since Petco people were nice and not particularly irritating. So here's the note I got from Petsmart, the manager of the store I went to:

I would like to apologize for the way the PetSmart Associates conducted themselves in front of you the day of your visit. I will assure you that we are taking matters on this issue and will train our associates to handle these issues.

Your business is important to us and would like to extend onto you a $30.00 gift card. In regards to the tortoise, If you are still interested in the tortoise, we will try our best to obtain a Russian Tortoise for you. Again, I would like to offer you my sincerest apology and hope to see you again soon. If you have any questions regarding this matter, feel free to call me at [number].

1) They didn't actually apologize for any of their stupid policies. I wasn't complaining about the employees per se, but about the realities of store policy that they chose to convey to me.

2) Also, uh, what coupon? It wasn't attached or included in the email... which specifically states that it is no-reply. So that would mean I'd actually have to call up the manager and bother him for it? Er, no.

A few months back I made a complaint to Borders headquarters, and they absolutely won my service back. Petsmart... sorry guys, not going back.

That reeks of being a form letter. That it didn't come with the $30 coupon it promised makes me suspect that some envelope stuffer hates his day job.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com

Because I am me, I'd be inclined to write another complaint letter complaining about the lack of responsiveness in the areas you mentioned. I really would.

I've done it before - complained about the way a complaint was handled. With one store, I took it all the way up to vice president, and I ended up getting invited to a store managers training meeting where the vp asked me to explain what happened and the various responses and why I was pissed off. Got $100 or $150 in gift certificates for that. :D Of course, not everyone reacts that way - a couple of other places kept sending the form letters that completely failed to indicated that they'd even read my mail, so they're permanently banned from my life.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Because I am me, I'd be inclined to write another complaint letter complaining about the lack of responsiveness in the areas you mentioned. I really would.

I've done it before - complained about the way a complaint was handled. With one store, I took it all the way up to vice president, and I ended up getting invited to a store managers training meeting where the vp asked me to explain what happened and the various responses and why I was pissed off. Got $100 or $150 in gift certificates for that. :D Of course, not everyone reacts that way - a couple of other places kept sending the form letters that completely failed to indicated that they'd even read my mail, so they're permanently banned from my life.

That is sweet! I'll definitely keep it mind next time something like this happens to me.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found something!!! About 45 minutes south of us, there is a HUUUUGE reptile store. It does shows and other things other than just selling, and it has been featured on the news. Apparently it's very reputable, etc. I called them and they actually gave me info... apparently Russian tortoises are seasonal in terms of birth. He said they have none right now, but they will probably get plenty next month. Yay!

Yay! I can't wait to see baby pics!